89' 7MGTE code 34, and 51?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
We've been getting some weird problems with the boost on the engine. Where when u nail it, it jerks.... There's a manual boost controller on the car.. could it be turned up too much? How do i use the thing? it's Got like a Screw and u twist in or out... What does what? And the BOV has a screw on it as well where u can twist it in or out... Can someone explain all this to me? There was a vaccum leak that i located and fixed... and it's still doing the boost problems, but it doesn't die when reved like before, it idles and revs fine.

THANKS

34 Turbocharger Pressure

Diagnosis
The turbocharger pressure is abnormal.
Trouble Area
Turbocharger
Air flow meter
ECU
Intercooler system

51 Switch Signal

Diagnosis
No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.
Trouble Area
A/C switch circuit
A/C switch
A/C amplifier
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
from the sounds of it your hitting fuel cut try turning down the boostmy mbc has an allen head screw in it and you turn it clockwise turn turn down boost and counter clockwise to up the boost. try doing that and see what happens.. do you know what psi your running right now? i believe stock fuel cut was like 12psi as far as the other code im not sure what could be the prob... hope this helps.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't know about your manual boost controller, but usually tightening down will increase preload on whatever you are adjusting. That means more load to overcome, resulting in more boost. But yours could be backwards of that.

Turn it both ways to find out.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
92TealSupra;1145254 said:
If you truly do not know how to use a boost controller you shouldn't be using one.
:3d_frown:

No need to rude. Isn't this forum for help and suggestions? Not criticism. Everyone's gotta start somewhere on forced induction. Am i right? Anyway. There was a vacuum leak right after the airflow meter. And the TPS is slightly out of tune on IDL and WOT conditions. Thanks for the help. I will take a picture of the BOV and MBC and see if anyone here would know it's proper configuration method.

Thanks

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Nick M;1145383 said:
His point is reasonably valid. Get help in person.

As most know, when you turn up boost or add horsepower to a vehicle you risk wearing engine components, and breaking them. If you don't know how to use something learn about it first and don't assume anything. Speculation only leads to problems.

There is always the kids who boost there car because they do not know what they're doing, " it adds horse power " yeah, read a book on forced induction.

I am not being rude here, I am telling you before you hurt anything on your car. Here are some tips to help you.

1. Fix the vacuum leak on the car these cause many problems, and sensors will not operate correctly, and measurements sensors get will be off.

2. Reduce the MDC to the Toyota's Stock boost and then raise it to 9-10 ( if you choose ) and leave it there.

Do you have a after market boost gauge on your car ? if not get one, so you know what psi you're at.

Next fix that TPS just so you don't have to worry about that anymore as well.

Hope you figure out everything on the car, and good luck.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
92TealSupra;1145401 said:
As most know, when you turn up boost or add horsepower to a vehicle you risk wearing engine components, and breaking them. If you don't know how to use something learn about it first and don't assume anything. Speculation only leads to problems.

There is always the kids who boost there car because they do not know what they're doing, " it adds horse power " yeah, read a book on forced induction.

I am not being rude here, I am telling you before you hurt anything on your car. Here are some tips to help you.

1. Fix the vacuum leak on the car these cause many problems, and sensors will not operate correctly, and measurements sensors get will be off.

2. Reduce the MDC to the Toyota's Stock boost and then raise it to 9-10 ( if you choose ) and leave it there.

Do you have a after market boost gauge on your car ? if not get one, so you know what psi you're at.

Next fix that TPS just so you don't have to worry about that anymore as well.

Hope you figure out everything on the car, and good luck.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I haven't messed with the MBC since i really don't want to mess anything up. I see turning the boost up on a car as in the same sense as overclocking a computer's processor. Where sure you'll make more power but it will typically reduce the reliability, and stability. I will definetely wanna stick on the safe side. Stock psi is what i'm looking for. I do have an aftermarket boost gauge as well. I've tuned the tps on my 89' 7m-ge. Is the 7m-gte typically the same process? I will be reading up on the tsrm on this.

Thank you very much.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
We took the tps off again. Tuned it perfectly just as the tsrm says, got it to deflect tightened screws then tested it to see if it's within specs and it is.. Installed it and we r still getting code 41 only... Why is this? If the battery is bad would it have anything to do with it?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
You changed from code 51 to 41. Which is it? 51 is a common code, that is usually nothing to worry about. I have 2 reasons in my head, but am not sure which it is, so I won't post either. Maybe someone will post it, or I will find it for sure, and come post it here.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
ForcedTorque;1178292 said:
You changed from code 51 to 41. Which is it? 51 is a common code, that is usually nothing to worry about. I have 2 reasons in my head, but am not sure which it is, so I won't post either. Maybe someone will post it, or I will find it for sure, and come post it here.

U asked which code is it? It's 41. Specifically pinpointing it to the TPS and not 51 which can be various things. So i tuned it and now it's still throwing the code.. This is a brand new tps and it's all tuned and within specs in all conditions.