88 Turbo: The Undead

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
FullNelson;1446243 said:
Before you tear out the fuel pump check voltage at the pump first, could just be a wiring issue.

Ya, good call. Double checked voltage, thanks to the nifty cover in the hatch and there are 12 volts. Gotta be the pump. Figures, since the car sat for so long.

IJ.;1446264 said:
zombie3.gif
build!

Who's a zombie?! :biglaugh:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
suprarx7nut;1442776 said:
I was quoted over $55 for it at my local dealer. It's $42 through Champion Toyota. Might just have to suck it up and order it.

If your :cry: over $50 already you might as well not keep it. Come on man $50!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
92nsx;1446360 said:
If your :cry: over $50 already you might as well not keep it. Come on man $50!

Haha, accordion is already purchased. We don't plan on throwing money at this thing before we know what problems it really has. It's a matter of prioritization of funds at this point. Saving 30 bucks was well worth waiting a few days. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
emiliorescigno;1462319 said:
In for updates. :icon_bigg

Fuel pump is bad. We have a replacement, but just need time to throw it in.

Since it's a joint effort, coordinating times to work on it is an obstacle as far as time is concerned.

Once the new fuel pump is in, we'll go from there.

Oil has been changed, then run through the system via cranking for a combined ~2mins or so, then changed again.

Coolant is drained, system will be flushed and refilled once started.

Can't wait to get it started and see what we have to deal with next. ;)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Fuel pump replaced and after about a dozen tries to get it to turn over.... BAM! Life!

Since it was 7F today, we couldn't flush the cooling system with the hose so we only let it run for a few minutes. Oil pressure was about 40 on start up, then fell to ~25-30 after a few minutes.

Once the weather warms up we'll flush it out, fill the cooling system and take it for a spin!

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
congrats bro i talked to you a while ago but hey if you need some parts i still have someother ones i also changed my number ill send it to you in a pm. i finaly got th 1jz running last week so well have to meet when this snow goes away

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SEEKING ADVICE:

1: The car starts, albeit, reluctantly but then dies if just left to idle. Car still throws no codes. Plugs have been replaced, timing hasn't been checked since the car wont idle long enough to get to operating temps, but the belt is in good shape and we haven't taken out the cps.

2: We wanted to make sure the cooling system was flowing and couldn't get water to circulate with the pump. The system was maybe half full, car pointed downhill, radiator filled to just over the core, upper rad hose disconnected to try to flush some old water/contaminants out. The water didn't go anywhere at all. Just stayed in the rad. I was expecting it to get pumped through the system, but is that not possible if it's tilted forward and not full? Checked the pump itself and it looks fine. :dunno: After taking off the pump, we poured water through the upper hose and it drains out the pump hole, poured some into the center pump hole and it comes out the lower rad hose, so nothing is blocked.

Tomorrow is another working day on the car, so I'll try to update, but any advice is welcome. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Got the car running more consistently (more good gas and a CPS adjustment helped) and found that the water pump flows fine (just didn't fill it enough before) and found our main problem.

::bhg::

Engine is being removed for a basic rebuild. :)

New bearings, head machined, Toyota HG and everything else we discover could use replacing along the way.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Engine was pulled last night. Garage is a mess of oil, coolant and stray tools, but it was a blast getting that motor out and way up in the air!

Supracam looking a bit stoned:
p1491693_1.jpg

p1491693_2.jpg

p1491693_3.jpg

p1491693_4.jpg

Can't wait to clean the living hell out of that block and the engine bay. When we install it again, the goal is to not have to wear any gloves and finish with clean hands. :)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
looking great man good luck...you should use this cleaner called purple power its pretty cheap and you could get it at walmart.....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
We spent some more time in the garage tonight. Engine mostly stripped, head removed.

A bunch of water jackets were deformed on the exhaust side of the head gasket. Most headbolts were pretty tight, but a few on the exhaust side were substantially less than others. Block surface looks very good so far, but we haven't removed much of the remaining gasket material.

Getting the block cleaned and painted will be exciting. It sure is go'n be purdy! :icon_razz

Supracam should be adding some high quality pics soon.

SupraCam

Jun 12, 2008
Boulder
I WAS NOT STONED. Andy is just a bad photographer.

And yeah, I've never seen a temp gauge spike that fast. It almost looked like the tach at first. HAHA

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just an update for anyone who cares, lol.

Block is fully stripped, save the oil filter bracket. Parts are all over, being cleaned. Crank is at machine shop being polished and keyway is being mended, head is being milled and stem seals replaced.

Cylinder walls are now honed, OEM parts arrived from toyota. Waiting on word from the shop to order bearings and rings and then its time to paint the block and reassemble. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well pretty much forgot to take any pics while reassembling. Motor is in and the car idles soooo smooth. It's amazing how quiet a 7M can be with new bearings and proper valve lash.

It will be broken in starting tomorrow night. Then on to tackle a power steering leak and fix the seats. After that she'll be pretty damn sharp. ;)