88 supra rear speaker

gloops

Aug 10, 2007
richmond
Just one of my rear speakers has developed heavy distortion - before I pull it out has anyone had this problem and can they offer advice on replacing or fixing it?
Thanks for any help.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Eh, I've done that replacement on a couple Supras over the years. Longest part of the job is merely taking off the rear interior bits needed to access it. If I remember correctly, most of the interior panels have to either come off or at least be loosened. Could be wrong though, it has been a while. Keep in mind that your rear speakers are likely stock, and 20+ years old at that, they're bound to be dead or dying by now. Might as well do them both at the same time, right? ;)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
te72;1779728 said:
Eh, I've done that replacement on a couple Supras over the years. Longest part of the job is merely taking off the rear interior bits needed to access it. If I remember correctly, most of the interior panels have to either come off or at least be loosened. Could be wrong though, it has been a while. Keep in mind that your rear speakers are likely stock, and 20+ years old at that, they're bound to be dead or dying by now. Might as well do them both at the same time, right? ;)
Agreed, with Christmas almost here do all the speakers :)

barkz

Sep 14, 2010
Afghanistan
ive done it by just removing the grilles. Used my soldering gun with the "cutting tip" and enlarged the hole to fit 4 1/2" instead of the 4". a SKEWdriver will be your best friend for this job as the screws are VERY close to the quarter glass.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
A 5.25 will fit in those enclosures with a little bit of work, not too hard, and a big upgrade, but really, I ended up pulling mine out entirely, since in the end, I found that they caused me more problems than they were worth. With no rear speakers at all, I got better RTA scores, and better overall judging in IASCA SQ competition. (When coupled with 6.5" midbass speakers in pods up front :) )

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Ive fit 5x7 alpine type s speakers in the rear pods. Barely any material left on the sides. I really dont see how you could fit any wider than a 5 back there.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dan_Gyoba;1779872 said:
A 5.25 will fit in those enclosures with a little bit of work, not too hard, and a big upgrade, but really, I ended up pulling mine out entirely, since in the end, I found that they caused me more problems than they were worth. With no rear speakers at all, I got better RTA scores, and better overall judging in IASCA SQ competition. (When coupled with 6.5" midbass speakers in pods up front :) )
Thinking about doing that myself, I have a set of some pretty nice speakers for the rear, but they'll be in a tasteful enclosure of their own. Don't think I'll be re-using the current speakers in the stock spots.

Bugs me now that I can't remember who makes those speakers I have, they're sitting at my buddy's house right now. Pretty nice sounding though, that's all I remember, magnets were big too. :p

OfnaRcR4;1779891 said:
so much fail.
Just trolling, or do you agree with Dan above?