88 Super Clean Turbo here

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
Hey guys whats up,
Just got my 88 Supra turbo and I blew the motor up within 1 week of the purchase. I have probably the cleanest supra in town but I think that it wasn't tuned right when I got it and now I have rod knock. Time for a fully built motor and a big dent in my wallet.:aigo:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Welcome to Supramania, and congrats on the new car! Rather than poor tune, I believe maybe you didn't quite know what you were looking at when you bought it. I don't mean to make you sound stupid. It's just these cars are notorious for Rod knock, and Blown Head Gasket (BHG), and many people disguise them and sell at the first signs of either one. The unsuspecting newb to the Supra just doesn't know what they are looking at. I discovered BHG in my 87 3 days after buying it. Stay here at Supramania, and every bit of information you need is right at your fingertips. Start a build thread, and post pictures along the way. Anything you do wrong will be pointed out.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The first thing you did wrong was brag about a really clean supra without showing us some pics...............:biglaugh:

:ttiwwp:

Supra_brothers

Super Lurker
Oct 18, 2005
TX
suprahero said:
The first thing you did wrong was brag about a really clean supra without showing us some pics...............:biglaugh:

:ttiwwp:

:word8kn: welcome, pictures would be helpful hope you enjoy it here :runaway:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
alright guys here are some pics, Just to let you know the rear blackouts are gone and I ditched the gay exhaust. All I need now is some new wheels and a lowering kit. when I drove the car their was no knocking at all, and the next day it started to knock. I think it had some poor tuning issues and I noticed that the oil pan has a nice big dent where the pickup is so I think it starved. I am a Nissan guy, I have an rb20det 240sx and I work for Nissan but I am really into the mk3 supras. I now have an expensive rebuild ahead of me:aigo:

The pics are at this link
http://spokanespeed.net/supra/

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
by the way, these are the mods:

1988 Toyota Supra Sport Top, SP-58-GT Turbo@10psi, Apexi TT, Apexi SAFC, Apexi Intake, TurboXS RFL-recirc'd, Walbro 255, ST Sway Bars, Defcon 3" TurboBack, Momo Wheels, Autometer Gauges

and damn this turbo has some lag, but when it spools it hits hard:biglaugh: it is nothing like my Nissan.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
the pics are at the link that I posted. And the guy I got it from just had some guy weld a pipe on the rfl outlet. You can see it in the pictures.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
That sure is one clean Supra! Consider yourself very lucky, even with the rod knock. Once you fix the engine, the car would be awesome. Some of us start(ed) up with an ugly car...

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
yah, I was lucky, I traded my 92 eclipse GSX for the car and I am very happy (except for the rod knock). I have had 3 dsm's and I just got tired of them.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Yes, that looks a little warm. I 'd watch it, and if it went any higher, I'd search for the problem. I'd hate for you to do an expensive rebuild, then get BHG due to a clogged radiator.

BTW........You missed a mod. That's an 89+ climate control you have there. YAY...No cracked buttons. ALSO, Very nice TEMS switch.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Your car is very very sweet looking. I love the red. The exterior is perfect. You need to clean the inside up though. Somebody did a pisspoor job of welding on the bov, but other than that it looks good. You and I should start a 4 x 4 section of supras. Your car actually looks like it's taller than mine..................:love:

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I already replaced the radiator and thermostat and its getting a new water pump during my build up. I have already cleaned the interior but it still needs a little work. I absolutely hate the wheels on this car! I Also don't like the look of the stock 88 tail lights. Will the JDM rear lights with the light in the middle bolt on directly without changing the harness?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
u mean the 89+ taillights? as in the lights that look like one piece when put on? if so, i think they go on with almost no problem except for that you need to drill a new keyhole for the hatch i think. Also look a lot better on a MK3 in my opinion

Last edited: