88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Perhaps this will do... in hindsight, Allegra is working wonders for me. Much more than Claritin, Zyrtec or Benadryll ever did for me.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Yep... painted that too

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finally put her down on her own feet.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

All dirty and nasty and covered with dust, grass, bugs, paint overspray.... ugh

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After a wash, just paint overspray to deal with. Used that awesome compound from before

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The very very first picture of my Supra and SC together on the road.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I despise the quality of this paint. I am going to look long and hard for a good paintshop to redo my whole car. I wish I lived in a bigger auto city where there are famous shops with badass painters who do absolute perfect paintjobs.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Steering damper shock is made by KYB!! I was pleasantly surprised.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Yep... I sure did!!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Finally all clean and polished up. Still not waxed or anything though.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

OK, so I have some good news for those of you who would like to spruce up your interior. After browsing Ebay, I noticed the company who I bought my e-brake handle boot, shift boot and center console cover from (Topgaiter) was offering the rear leather insert panels as well (in various colors etc). So I contacted them to see if they would offer the front (door inserts) as well. They emailed me back saying they needed a template and if I provided mine, they would do it free of charge for me. SO!!! Monday I am sending both my door leather inserts off to England to be recovered in black leather. These guys do GOOD work. I was very impressed with the quality of the leather they used. Yes it's real leather and it's not that expensive either. I highly recommend anyone wanting to replace old faded leather with stuff they offer. And after mine, they will carry everything that is leather in the car except for the seats. =D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took this off, gonna have it dyed black.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Door panel completely stripped.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wow, those prices are crazy good. I need a new shift boot and those look great and are actually quite cheap. Thanks for the reference!

I might go black on my console cover and rear panels too... Although it'll look weird with a few pieces black and everything else all grey... hmm

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
My thoughts precisely... We will see. I'm sure the little fan will be fine, but I'm concerned if the slight addition of weight on the clutch fan will cause it to behave oddly. As for longevity, it should be ok, I used Eastwood chassis paint on them lol. Resistant to chips woot!!

I don't think black panels will look odd in your interior, after all most of the cockpit is black (if you are 89+). For me, I also plan on getting black leather seats, black carpet, and painting a the super faded plastic pieces to black. I will also be dying the carpet on the bottom of the door cards to match new black carpeting. In my minds eye, it looks pretty badass, a nice dark blue/black interior.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Lithium and I have the same color combo on our cars. My interior is the dark blue.

I want to see how yours looks when you get it to mix with the black/blue. Hey, you have a black and blue. LOL!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
They usually make their stuff to order, if I remember correctly, mine took a little over a week as well.

In other news, pushing the Supra up the driveway with the SC worked pretty damn well. So. now everything is set for me to pick up the engine and drop it in. Whenever the engine is done. *sigh. However, some of you may be pleased to know the buddy of mine who is helping out with the rebuild, tuned his 7M this weekend and made 713hp. This year is going to be the year of the MK3 here in Texas. harhar

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would wait 3 months for a properly done job.. rather than bitch about it 3 months later when I noticed the flaws... : )

Thanks for the info on the door inserts, I plan on doing my door panels in leather and wanted to go with a black or med. grey so that takes care of that problem for me. Going to do the CF back seat speaker panel instead of recovering that area along with the CF console with CF lid.. I was going to recover, but after thinking about it, the CF should wear better...

I just love your car though..

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks so much!! Your car is amazing too!! And I totally agree. I would rather wait for good quality than poor quality with no/less wait.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Damn thats a long build thread!
Looking good, Lith. I bought a gearshift boot from Topgaiter about a year ago, for my MR2- It's a quality piece.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
So, I just want to say...WOW! Awesome dedication to making this car clean! I love it.

It actually made me a little sad as to how I can't figure out how to clean my engine bay :/
I bought simple green and all, and it seems to do literally nothing..Which sucks because I have bad ocd with having a clean vehicle, inside and out.

On a random note, and i'm sorry if it's been covered, didn't seem to find it.

Do you think you can tell me what company hose clamps you have? They looks awesome!

Thanks man

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Thanks guys!! Yeah I was really happy with the quality of the leather they used. Supra_dan, what clamps are you referring to? can you link a pic please? thanks lol. As for your engine bay, if simple green isn't working, I suggest getting some GUNK engine degreaser (the heavy duty gel type) and let that soak overnight, then resume your normal scrub a dub dub. It's also easier to remove all the little pieces in the bay that make it hard to clean (cruise control, fuel pump relay, etc etc).

On a separate note, best of wishes to everyone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area... hope everyone stays safe!

And finally, here are a couple pics:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thanks Zumtizzle for the brackets!! As you can see, I wasted no time in freshening them up :p

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Reply to above:

Hey thanks for respondin! I am talking about the hose clamps that are holding your intercooler pipes together, they look really nice and clean compared to others.

Also, I'm going to check into that degreaser tomorrow.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
No problem!! My IC clamps on the car are all t-bolt clamps from driftmotion. I have new ones that are a mixture of driftmotion and suprasport. In the future, I have plans to go fully custom welded hardpipes and use the high tech accufab clamshell clamps. A disclaimer about these t-bolts that I have though, they are advertised to be super strong, but I have broken 3 already. I suggest lubing the threads with WD-40 to ease tightening/loosening as well as help with the heat. The bolts get SUPER hot when you crank away at it for a couple minutes to tighten them down.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Awesome awesome, thanks a lot!

p.s. just out of curiosity, and I'm sure i'll find it eventually when scrolling through your thread...what fmic do you have anyways??

Edit: Wow! lol literally turned to a random page (26) and saw the answer to the intercooler kit lol.

Nvm :D

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
No problem!!

side note: birthday present for this year: $298 speeding ticket. yay

really need that radar/laser detector for interstate highway travel....