87 two blue supra????

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
I picked up this 1987 two tone blue supra today from the second owner whom purchased it it 1990. The engine bay is clean enough to eat off of and its been well maintained aside from the fact the head gasket went then so did a rod lol. Any ways id like some kind of info on this its a darker navey blue up top and on the bottom its more of a lighter blue maybe even a baby blue and has a baby blue pin stripe looks to be factory paint but ive never scene one could someone help me out as to what it is??? And is it rare?

1987 targa turbo 5-spd

crappy cellphone pic ill try to get more pic up later
sm_photo_missing.jpg

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
the only two tone blue ive seen has been one like this, blue on top and gray on the bottom
p1520829_1.jpg

Last edited:

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Wouldn't there be a body color code in the vin or something if it was a factory option for 2 tone? I remember looking at paint codes and there was not any for 2 tone lol.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
could anyone acurately price the car for me? 1987 turbo targa 2 owner well im the third the guy i bought it from got it in 1990 it has absolutely no rust the engine bay is clean enough to eat out of brand new tires very well maintained but all 7m's do the usual bhg and then rod knock but aside for that its a great car wonder what its worth the way it sits

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
The 87 Two Tone Blue colour code was 24D (Dark Blue Peal/Medium Blue Metallic)
The 88 Two Tone Blue colour code was 21C (Dark Blue Pearl/Light Blue Metallic)
Both were optional and had to be ordered.
There was also a two tone brown offered 1986.5-87

You can find the colour code on the firewall.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
the paint code for that car is 24D. the paint code for the other pic that was posted is 21C. OP, your car has a dark blue metallic pearl top with a blue bottom. 21C cars (mine for instance) are dark blue metallic pearl top and metallic light blue bottom. the difference being that the 21C bottom is lighter. all of this information is assuming that it is factory that way. look at the vin tag under the hood and it will tell you your paint code. also, it is rare, many people dont even know toyota made a two tone supra. 88 was the last year they were made. on the registry on the site the only two tone blue (21C) are mine and JDMMA70. either way, these cars are rare. and based on the pic, and your bottom looking darker than mine i assume it is the 24D version. hope that helps

Matt
edit: JDMMA70 beat me to it
edit2: ive only even heard of 4 or 5 two tone blue's still around. that is 24d and 21c combined
edit3: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96634 only 4 total posted which doesnt necessarily mean there arent more but, it should give you an idea

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
that doesnt look 2 tone to me other than the bumper and header panel being faded which is normal.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
just got the car back to my house and its definately a two tone blue altho in the pics it is hard to tell because that was a cellphone pic and my phone doesnt have the best camera ill try to get it cleaned up tomorrow and get pics and a paint code.

with the rareity of this car will that actually raise the value???

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
thebadz32;1520902 said:
could anyone acurately price the car for me?

Will bhg and rod knock? Maybe $1200-$1500. Maybe. That's if it's cherry throughout. There is no shortage of these vehicle with mechanical issues. Find yourself a low mileage example in prestine mechanical condition; then you'll have something with a little value.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
id say its worth more than that ive parted out 3 of these and i know what the parts bring

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

paint code is 24d

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
parting out a car and selling the car whole are 2 different things. parting out is stupid unless the car has been crashed.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
It might be worth something in the future since there arent that many factory two tones. However as of right now the majority of people who buy these cars dont care that much about two tones. More importantly most prefer Post89 Supras. Hence why you see more of them.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
yeah i realize that but then a good car can end up crushed over money when it was prolly bought cheap and these cars huge money pits. to me id rather spend 10k on a car and end up selling it for 5 just to make sure its still a car.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
You keep asking how much your car is worth, how rare it is; are you trying to sell it? That's the vibe I get. If you keep it, then forget how much it's worth right now. It's rare, and many people like the 2 tones ( like myself) and that's all you need to know! If it has problems like a bhg and thrown rod, 2 tone or not, it's worth $1k or less unless you find the right buyer who's nuts for that colour. As it sits right now, it's just a shell, complete with a broken engine.
eric

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
im just saying that im not gonna sell the car whole for 1k when i can pull the motor trans wireing etc and make good money alone off of that and then sell the shell for around $1000-1500. And whos to say if i did fix the car and sold it to someone who totaled it the first day they bought it. Yeah id hate to part the car out because it is so clean and pretty rare but at the same time i have 3 supras curently, 2 Mkiii's and an mkiv this is my 5th supra in a year 1/2. The car will go up for sale as a whole and if i dont get what i want out of it ill part it out but none the less if i do that it will still be sold as a complete shell with good title minus engine wireing turbo and tranny. My other mkiii is a super clean 91 white package thats curently a shell due to the fact that i sold the 7m with intentions on doing a 2j but then i found an mkiv for a steal now its time to part with both mkiii's and uild the mkiv.