87 Turbo Auto Harness+ 87 Turbo Maunal ECU ?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
A friend of mine is doing a n/a-turbo swap in his 87 Supe. He asked me and i didn't think it was possible. Can you use a turbo auto harness with a turbo manny ecu in it ? He has a 7mgte engine and manual tranny in it. He baught a ECU and harness but got a AUTO harness with a MANUAL ecu. Is there going to be problems if he trys to use it ?

kyle1jzsupra

Sep 17, 2007
fort worth
sry dude im in a predicament with my wiring for an 89 because 89s r so crazy hard to get the right wiring for but i just recomend to get the manual ecu or just splice up the dif plugs im pretty sure the auto plugs wont plug up to the manual tranny but try it

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I'd think the AT harness would just have an extra plug:dunno:

Don't quote me on that, but I think the only way this could be a problem is if it was a manual tranny w/ an auto ecu.

Hook it up, if it doesn't work out, swap?

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I know an AUTO ECU will work with an auto or manual tranny.

A manual ECU and an auto harness should be OK. To be sure you can call Champion Toyota (google it); it used to be called "Jay Marks Toyota". Ask for Mike Cothren he can help you/direct you to the right person.

That being said I think the trouble is going to be using the manual tranny and auto harness.

I just re-wired my manual 87 Turbo with a manual 88 Turbo wiring harness and had 3 plugs that had nowhere to go. It works and is fine but I am just saying there are differences. When I did the rewire, I had 2 main harness wires go to my manual tranny, just to let you know. Check that auto harness and see if it has the wires needed for the manual tranny. You may have an extra plug in there but that is OK since the manual ECU could care less about it.

Last edited:

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
smagnotta said:
I know an AUTO ECU will work with an auto or manual tranny.

A manual ECU and an auto harness should be OK. To be sure you can call Champion Toyota (google it); it used to be called "Jay Marks Toyota". Ask for Mike Cothren he can help you/direct you to the right person.

That being said I think the trouble is going to be using the manual tranny and auto harness.

I just re-wired my manual 87 Turbo with a manual 88 Turbo wiring harness and had 3 plugs that had nowhere to go. It works and is fine but I am just saying there are differences. When I did the rewire, I had 2 main harness wires go to my manual tranny, just to let you know. Check that auto harness and see if it has the wires needed for the manual tranny. You may have an extra plug in there but that is OK since the manual ECU could care less about it.

Ive seen auto ECU+auto harness work on a manual tranny. im wondering if a manual ECU+auto harness will work with a manual tranny. i understand i will have a few extra plugs, but are both harnesses wired the same?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
auto harness/manual ecu = ok
auto harness/auto ecu = ok
manual harness/auto ecu = ok

the problem arises when you have an auto tranny/manual ecu. you should be ok in theory

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
or just wire it to think its in neutral all the time. the only difference between the AT ecu and the MT ecu is the AT has shift points or whatever they are called~ :) no reason to change the ecu, harness? maybe. but still thats more money than its worth Lol. the auto harness lacks neutral safety switch and reverse light :)

do a search this is covered quite a bit