87 trubo surpa- V hard to restart when hot sometimes- iIne when its cold or after whi

posting any helpful links

• What is the bes soltuion

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Post any links to view

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Should I use a spell cheker?

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
HI,
I think this is a wonderful site for any SUPRA owners and a great resourse!

i have a coulle problems with my 87 turbo supra. Yes, ive owned it since it was NEW! so i know the car well.

THe first issue is a HOT restart.. it seems to flood out on a hot restart ,.. and the only way to get it started is to hold the thottle wide open ( push the pedal to the floor) and then tunr it over. It is catches, but is hesitanct,l spits and sputter, for 10 sec then seems to get to normal. I can floor it to clean out the excess gas (if thats the problem) and then its fine... but its only after a hot re-start.
is this a sometihng to do with the cold start injector switch, the idle speed control solinoid, or the throttle position sensor .... or what .. please give me a troubleshooting list. I do have the service repair manaul from Toyota i bought 25 yrs ago!! so i can use that as a ref source.

The second it a more elaborate issue.. and quite uncomfortable in cold climate which we have now!!!.... THERE IS NO HEAT! with the temp set at 85 it still blows COLD air .... for 15 min. or more. and then it a warm air forever ... -- never HOT like it used to be!! . I have checked the following items after reading some other blog issues;
  • Full resevour and radiator tank
  • VSV for heater control on the file wall that opens to let hot water to heatercore is fine
  • New Toyota OEM thermostat - warms up quickly to mid point on temp guage
  • the outside temp gauge (mounted on the front of vehicle , in front of radiator is funtioning and within ohm tolerance
  • there is a rattleing noise coming from behind the glove box when the sun shines on the solar sensor- like there is something trying to stablize itself. I think this is a servo valve for the flapper door i think... but not sure. It only makes noise when the sun is on the solar sensor.

IM at a loss for what to do to analyze the problem(s). I have read about the ambient temp sensor INSIDE the car that can be bad, its mounted in the passange side dash with a little louvered area on the dash facing the passenger ., but i have not checked it for function.
The blower waits untill the engine is at OP temp BEFORE it starts blowing when its set to AUTO.. so i know that system is working .
ANY help is greatly apprecaited!

Kevin

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Why is this a poll?

Is there water circulating inside the heater core? Grab both of the water lines to make sure fluid is moving when the engine is warm.

The difficult hot restart could be you've got a VSV underneath the intake manifold that might of come loose. What's the -hg at idle? Also, double check every vacuum line.

Do you have any CEL's?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
The hot restart issue may be the Fuel Pressure Up VSV that is under the intake manifold like Indigo said. It could also be the check valve in the fuel pump and it is not holding pressure when the car is hot. (At least that is the way I understand it). I believe this is my problem because I have the same symptoms as you and have checked everything on the car. To replace that check valve I'm fairly certain you have to replace the entire fuel pump and that's why I just deal with it on mine.

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
thanks for the quick reply..

WHere exactly do i grab both of these lines.. .after teh VSV valve in the firewall.?? , or do i have to tear apart the dash inside to find these hoses. .??

what do you mean by CEL's..?? Im sorry but i dont know what that is!

What is the toyota name for this VSV under the intake manifold.. and how do i test it to see if its working properly?

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
how do i test this VSV under the intake manifold.... to see if its bad or not..?? what does toyota call this part, so i know what to ask for at the parts counter. Is there any TSRM links you can fwd to me so i can read or see what this is all about?

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
Thank you for the hot start answer .. i will check the fuel VSV per your instruction this weekend , if its not freezing outside again.

I wanted to get some better detail about the COLD air blowing all the time. There is hot water flowing in and out of the heater core. The VSV on the firewall for the heater control valve is operating and the lever moves up and down when pressing the digital temp on the climate control inside.

I have read about an AMBIENT Air sensor that is critical to the operation of the CC module. The sensor on an 87 is on the passenger side dash , right next to the AC vent. I will disconnect it this weekend and see if i get heat . IF i do, then its open circuit and i know its the problem . likewise if i ground one of the leads on the harness , its suppose to be all HOT air. the digital control cant function with a bad ambient temp sensor... is that correct?

what else shoud i check , starting from the most obvious to the hardest (most expensive option)

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
HI

ok, i checked all the mentioned issues, ; heater valve, coolant level, ambient temp sensor, outside sensor ... \Then i grabbed the inlet and outlet heater hose in the firewall.. The inlet was HOT ... 175!!..However the outlet was Luke warm ... at best! 100 deg. SO i have a PLUGGED HEATER CORE!!

what i need is a link for instruction on how to disassemble the Dash.. ( I know a MAJOR pain in the butt and an all day affair! )

would someone please direct me to a link in the TSSM or anywhere that has a detailed description what, to remove to get at it???

thank you . !!
Kevin

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
suprasvoboda;1986238 said:
would someone please direct me to a link in the TSSM or anywhere that has a detailed description what, to remove to get at it???

Was it not enough that JJ gave you the link to the TSRM? Now you want someone to search through the TSRM for you and post the exact link too??

Well what in the hell are you waiting for JJ. Find it, and post it for him!

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
i wasnt trying to be a jerk or demanding for answers to my question , ... i looked at the posted TSRM link and there isn't any category for Heater,! ... only AC systems. Its not part of the cooling system either .. so that's why i asked if there was anything for the task of removing the heater core!

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Remove the dashboard (the Supra TSRM calls it the "safety pad" if I remember correctly) the heater core will be in the white box on the firewall...

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
hi Dan\

the entire dash..??? cant it be removed working underneith and on the passendgier side? THe heat exchanger for the A/C is in the fiberglass white case thats visible when u remove the glove box. Istn the heater core in the middle, behind the temp control module and all the servo valves that control the flow of aire locations >??

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heater core is booked at 9 hours for R&R by a Trained Toyota mechanic. Some claim they can do it in under an hour... I didn't even try.. just shelled out a grand to have it done. I would pick up a replacement core and the O-rings prior to starting though. You want to make sure you replace the rings no matter what happens when your under there (even if the core is good).

If you look at the dash like a puzzle.. the Heater core is the last piece to take out..

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
OMG!!!!

that is the WORST event to do on this car..... and ive had mine for 25 years !! WHat O- Rings are you refering to ,, exactly ...????? i need to know this before even attempting this ...
Kevin

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ask a Toyota dealership about the Orings for the heatercore, they will know what your talking about.

Personally, I refused to do this myself because I have a habit of losing screws and cracking old plastic... Lol

suprasvoboda

Sep 17, 2013
texas
this is going to be ugly... i have a feeling .. 9 hours for a ASTM TOyota certified mechanic..?

the O-Rings for the intlet and outlet on the core itself.. i assume ???? or where do these special O rings go?

Is it necessayr to get into the A/C evaporator or break into the system....?

THank you for ALL your help. and the link with the detailed insructions.... im thinking FIRST ,... an air pressure flush with a bottle of CLR - (Calcium Rust and LIme) remover, soaked over night , is ALOT easier and the best way