86.5 Supra

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
I am now owner of a 86.5 Supra [89 7M-GTE in it] and I want to know if there is anything engine wise I need to watch carefully or any general advice since this is the first Supra I have owned or driven. I will list everything done to the engine thus far.
  • OEM Crankshaft
  • Eagle H Beam Rods
  • JE Forged Pistons
  • Chromoly Rings
  • OEM Oil Pump
  • Standard Bore & Compression
  • ARP Crank Studs
  • 11lbs Aluminum Flywheel
  • Stage 3 Clutch [6-puck]
  • OEM Head [shaved down .0010
  • 2.0MM HKS Head Gasket
  • OEM Valves, Springs, Retainers
  • Non-Turbo Cams
  • AEM Adjustable Cam Gears
  • Greddy Timing Belt
  • OEM Water Pump
  • ARP Head Studs
  • 250 Fuel Pump
  • OEM Injectors [but have 680CC's sitting in my house]
  • OEM Intake
  • OEM Throttle Body
  • T61 Turbo
  • T4 Header
  • Koyo Aluminum Radiator
  • 2.5" Intercooler Piping
  • 3" wide FMIC
  • Full 3" exhaust
  • OEM Alt.
  • OEM Map Sensor
  • Greddy Waste Gate
  • Greddy Type RS BOV
  • HKS F-CON w/ Graphic Controller
  • Fuel Cut Defender

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to joining the MKIII community ... Thanks

Last edited:

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
lol I seriously hope it never blows up or crashes. I will post the pictures when I get home. There is A LOT of work done to this car. I spent 1200 in just gauges alone. It's also a 5spd and a targa top. I hope all of my engine mods makes the car last A LONG time.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
if you want it to last, i think most everyone wil say drop the fuel cut defender.

what boost you running? and why NA cams have you tried both?

i assume you mean OEM afm, stock ECU and what not too?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
are you sure this is an 86.5, they didnt have the targa option till 87? it would be a lot of work to make it a targa, there are a lot of structural pieces that would need to be added.

EthanMKIII

Nov 5, 2008
Vancouver
supradad86_5;1235993 said:
are you sure this is an 86.5, they didnt have the targa option till 87? it would be a lot of work to make it a targa, there are a lot of structural pieces that would need to be added.

I'm pretty sure they did lol.

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
I look to run 12psi ... waiting to get insurance on it so I can really get it on the road. But I meant stock AFM and ECU but I am running a piggyback via the HKS FCon w/ graphics controller ... any particular reason to advise against the fuel cut defender?

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
dumbo;1235989 said:
if you want it to last, i think most everyone wil say drop the fuel cut defender.

what boost you running? and why NA cams have you tried both?

i assume you mean OEM afm, stock ECU and what not too?

I decided on the NA cams because I heard some people say it gives you a bit more torque and helps the turbo spool a little quicker

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
yah thats why i was asking you about your cams, i'm a na-t and shortly switching to gte cams:)

theres a few threads on them, basically they bypass a major 'safety' that the ecu has. search it and that'll explain better

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
People reomend not runing hks FCD because MOST people do it to get ride of fiul cut without doing the nesscary fuel mods to go around or above 13 psi. Hks also designed it to go with there piggy back package. I assume your fcon has a 440 chip in it? Maybe look into a 550 chip and ditch the fcd. You said you spent a lot on gauges ao I assume you purchessed an A/F gauge. Make sure you pay attention to it. It will tell you if that FCD is hurting you engine.

I have eagle rods, weisco pistons, ported head, oversized valves, a 60 trim ct26. And I haven't ventured past fuel cut because besides my walbro I have not touched my fuel system....until next month ;)

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
Here are some pictures of my Supra

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
I see what you mean about the NA cams ... They are already installed but in the next few months I really considering making the valve train stronger [s/s valves, titanium retainers etc ...] I will just switch back to the turbo cams. I just want to get a few miles on the engine before anymore major work. As it stands, the engine has less then 250 miles on it but after I break it in, I will take the advice and swap back over to turbo cams.

Furyian

Jan 28, 2009
Louisiana
I bought the car pretty much as it for 2000 so rice or not it was a better deal for me then the 87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe project I had