7mgte valve shim specs

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
two-step-n;1572636 said:
i checked them and a few are to tight is that bad?

Yes.... the spec is there for a reason.

Reason being that in operation everything get's hot and expands closing the clearence down, if it goes 0 or less you hold the valve off the seat and the air/fuel mix makes an effective cutting torch burning the valve.

The spec usually aims to get the clearence as close to 0 as possible at the engine's operating temps + x for safety, as the seats/valves wear they recess closing the clearence down, whenever I do the valves on a 7m I add 2 thou to the max to allow for this effect on the newly cut seats.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You need to do some math, and replace the valve shims out of spec.
Start on this page and keep clicking next page. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=9

You can purchase those special tools through toyota, or get them through snap on or the like.
If it's just a couple out of spec then use the tool to replace them. If there are alot of them out of spec, just remove your cams and replace them all at once. Have fun.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Suprapowaz!(2);1572606 said:
Between 0.15mm-0.25mm on the intake side.
0.20mm-0.30mm on the exhaust side.

That's the clearance range that's given by TSRM.

It's also on the inside of the hood.

Suprapowaz!(2);1572824 said:
You need to do some math, and replace the valve shims out of spec.
Start on this page and keep clicking next page. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=9

You can purchase those special tools through toyota, or get them through snap on or the like.
If it's just a couple out of spec then use the tool to replace them. If there are alot of them out of spec, just remove your cams and replace them all at once. Have fun.

Lol, it was an absolute bitch for my dad and I to do this in the car. We used that tool (got mine through snap-on), but it was both of our's first time doing a valve adjustment. The machine shop that shaved the cylinder head offerred to do it for us, but for another $200. We actually did it before putting the head back on (didn't use the tool, just took the cams off). Why did we do it twice? Well, OP, let's just say that triple-checking your measurements is not overkill.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
IJ.;1572641 said:
, as the seats/valves wear they recess closing the clearence down,

What is the issue when the clearance becomes too large (loose)? Wear on the cam, and\or shim?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mkiiichip;1573370 said:
What is the issue when the clearance becomes too large (loose)? Wear on the cam, and\or shim?

Yes that or a cam tunnels self destructing :(
(common in 7m's as the soft babbit coating on the cam journals picks up and collects any crap running through the engine after a blocked filter bypass or from dirty assembly and gouges the tunnels)

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
IJ.;1572641 said:
Yes.... the spec is there for a reason.

Reason being that in operation everything get's hot and expands closing the clearance down, if it goes 0 or less you hold the valve off the seat and the air/fuel mix makes an effective cutting torch burning the valve.

The spec usually aims to get the clearance as close to 0 as possible at the engine's operating temps + x for safety, as the seats/valves wear they recess closing the clearance down, whenever I do the valves on a 7m I add 2 thou to the max to allow for this effect on the newly cut seats.

Do you mean 2mm? or .2mm? I am confused.