7MGTE revs out of control on start up

fast427

Apr 14, 2011
mankato, mn
i just rebuilt my 7MGTE and on start up, the engine barely starts and when it does, it revs crazily by itself (not touching the gas pedal). I thought maybe the throttle linkage got sagged on something, but everything appears fine. I'm thinking the TPS is stuck or the idle control valve is doing something weird? One of the hoses is not connected on idle control valve (the smaller port). I have the larger port connected by a hose to the plug in after the MAF sensor, but the other one im not sure where it goes to. anyone have suggestions or direct answers? thank you.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The big hose goes to the intake. The smaller hose, there should be 2, will have coolant going through it. So if you have one connected and the other one not then coolant should be going everywhere. You can bypass them but its not recommended in colder areas. And really no point to unless its getting relocated and running a standalone or something.

Check your codes first off.

And second sounds like tps is bad or needs to be adjusted.

fast427

Apr 14, 2011
mankato, mn
well I rerouted the coolant line from the cylinder head by passing the throttle body and it continues into the coolant piping around the engine block. I remember i took off the idle control valve to have intake cleaned, maybe i put something in backwards?

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

also, on my dashpot, the little filter is missing at the bottom. is that possbile for surge revving? i can take pics if needed

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
If its revving out of control, it sounds like its more than just a messed up tps. It has to be getting air from somewhere. If the throttle body is closed, it shouldnt rev out of control no matter what the TPS is telling the ECU

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Have you checked the IAC valve? If it gets dirty it can hang up in a bad position.

Try plugging all vacuum ports on the intake manifold and try a test start. If it still revs high, plug off the throttle body. It might seem crazy, but its worth a shot.

fast427

Apr 14, 2011
mankato, mn
i will check for any open ports that weren't plugged off, but im pretty sure everything is sealed off, except for the dashpot. im going to look closer at the TB, and IAC, and i will update soon.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The isc need to have the little filter thing with the orange thing on the inside of the manifold. Unplug the tps and see what it does.

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
My supra had this problem once where i would start it up and it would rev all over the place anywhere from 1500rpm to 3500rpm. I to thought it was a bad tps sensor but it turned out my maf needed to be replaced. ANDD i had that same code 24

fast427

Apr 14, 2011
mankato, mn
but my car continues to rev, if i dont shut it off, it would throw a rod..haha it kinda gives me the chills knowing a completely new engine is being revved to hell without a proper break in.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya i wouldnt run it long without breaking it in.

Get a new afm and set the tps. Both can be done with the engine off. IF you started it with the o2 unplugged i think that throws 21. Or the o2 is bad.

fast427

Apr 14, 2011
mankato, mn
well im going to remove the AFM completely and im going to put in a wideband, hopefully this problem will resolved soon, i really appreciate all your help.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
with engine off check that the throttle body butterfly is completely closed
if that is fine i would suspect you ISCV is bad

have a friend start the engine
tap on ISCV with a wrench or something but nothing like a hammer lol
dont need to tap hard just lightly

if your idle changes then the ISCV is bad or needs cleaned
do you have a vaccum/boost gauge that is not the stock 1?
if so what is the vaccum when it starts up?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Unless the throttle plate is being held open by something... (Cruise control actuator, bent linkage, mis-adjusted cable, something stuck inside)

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Wow y dont u just change ur spark plugs while ur at it. Pull off the big hose that goes to ur iac and stick ur finger in there. Have a friend start the car. U might need to let a small amont of air in with ur finger to keep it runing. The only hole large enough to make it rev like crazy is the tb and iac. If that works trouble shoot the iac.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk