7mgte no Thermostat Safe?

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
Anyone know if its a bright idea to run the motor without a thermostat? I want to keep my car at a optimum level of cool. Obviously not the best idea but if i can keep it cooler im all for it. I just mainly wanna know if its safe/nuetral to do. Ive read many mixed reviews about the subject. Mainly getting nuetral feedback which is what i want. Im aware that i wont get much heat in the cabin. No biggie, Thanks!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Optimum level of cool is 190 degrees Fahrenheit as specified by manufacturer. Removing the thermostat is not a good idea, as it regulates your operating temperature (and is supposed to keep it where it needs to be) so, If you have to remove it just to keep your coolant temp gauge in the middle, than you've got issues elsewhere.

Should also note that you'll be causing damage to your engine driving it around cold all the time... that's not how it's designed to operate.

You may want "neutral" feedback on this, but you should honestly be looking for ACCURATE feedback. Engineers don't fuck around, if you don't believe me, talk to someone knowledgeable in metallurgy (engineer).

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I had to drive my car back from the mountains once with no thermostat, I had developed a serious boiling over/too hot issue and had no choice. The car never reached operating temp (which was better than boiling over and having no water in the engine....but, it is in fact really bad for your engine. Your oil never comes up to it proper temperature. Lubrication is not going to be properly maintained. It's not a good idea. And if you are still running hot or even at proper temp with no thermo you have much more serious issues.

How hot are you running with the thermo, how hot without?

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
Thanks for the feedback guys! My car is running percfectly fine! I just figured having the car cool is better then hot, but then again the feedback u guys give me is great and makes sense. Im not too serious about it so ill just throw in a new thermostat! Thanks guys!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good call.
Most folks recommend either a failsafe tstat, which fails open,
Or the oem, as it is more accurate.

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
supra1jz;1914163 said:
I will have to say in the summer I use a 175-180 t-sat to keep mines cooler while running the ac and in the winter I just use and oem t-sat.
a lot of switching not much work but the fact of switching a t-stat back and forth every time the season changes is pointless. if you want your engine to be cooler jus add some washers to you hood hinges or remove the back seal on the hood and let the hot heat escape out from your engine bay while driving. works great!!!

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
alvinheu;1914176 said:
.... if you want your engine to be cooler jus add some washers to you hood hinges or remove the back seal on the hood and let the hot heat escape out from your engine bay while driving. works great!!!

This is a fallacy.
In fact, the windshield and lower cowl area is a high pressure zone when the vehicle is traveling forward. This will force air back under the hood if there is any opening..

alvinheu

Dude WTF!!!
Jul 17, 2012
CALI
not sure what ur talkin about but im sure when air gets pushed into the engine bay from driving having a place for the heat to escape out of would help keep things a little cooler...worked for me and notice that my car seems to run a little cooler cus the temp gauge is slightly lower than usual.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Will run cooler in traffic but slightly hotter at highway speeds with the rear edgo of the hood up/unsealed.

As for the TStat verify it's opening temp BEFORE fitting it.... just been through all this and out of 3 stats I have only 1 works consistantly the other 2 exhibit weire fluctuations in temp.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
alvinheu;1914272 said:
...that my car seems to run a little cooler cus the temp gauge is slightly lower than usual....

Other arguments aside of course your coolant temp gage is slightly lower. Because, you know, having a thermostat whose sole purpose is to regulate coolant temperature would cause that...