7mgte mods.

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
hey guys, well ive done a full rebuild on my 7m when rebuilding ive put a 2mm metal head gasket, arp studs, ct26 57 trim, turbosmart boost controller, full 3 inch exsaust and have just ordered an aftermarker intercooler kit.

well i am a bit confused on what to do now, i have been told just to get a fuel cut defender and turn the boost up but i do not like this idea..
have been reading and most people do the lex afm, 550cc injecters. how much more power do you get from these and does this stop the fuel cut problem? at the moment im hitting fuel cut at around 10 psi :/
im planning on getting this out to the drift track in a month and it would be good if it wasnt hitting fuel cut at 10psi, any ideas would be great thanks :)

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Yes you should upgrade the fuel pump, injectors fuel pressure regulator and AFM.. Then you can run safely without hitting fuel cut. It is best to have a wideband AFR gauge and some sort of piggy back like a SAFC for fine tuning

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
how does this stop fuel cut though, does the computer realise it has aftermarket parts? also what brand injecters are good and where should i get them and afm from?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
It doesnt stop fuel cut it raises when fuel cut is.. IE Higher than 10 lbs.. The reason it raises it is because the lexus AFM housing is 25% larger than the stock one, so the ECU thinks its seeing less air coming through the AFM.. However if you just did the Lexus AFM mod it would cause the engine to run lean as its seeing less air flowing into the turbo, so thats why you have to upgrade to 550CC injectors which are 25% larger than stock 440CC injectors..

I would go with RC Engineering..

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
^
For sale threads, Ebay, Junk yard, etc. Hell, I have an unused semi-polished SupraSport Lipp AFM with adjustment screw I'd be willing to part with. I'd want what I paid for it though. Which cost twice what a dirty Lex AFM would run.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
if you are looking to save some cash mitsubishi evo injectors work for our cars. They are 560cc with a 4 port spray so atomization is a bit better too.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Lexus AFM in a nutshell:

The lexus AFM is the same electronics and housing shape as the one in our Supras except for one difference: it's ~25% larger. The trick is because you're metering through an housing that's 25% larger, you match that with injectors that are 25% larger (440cc -> 550cc) and it ends up being happy (assuming you're supplying enough fuel for those larger injectors). It will also raise fuel cut to ~18-20psi (like stock, depends on the car, weather, elevation, etc) while still keeping the protection against leaning out due to injector load. It will typically run ok on this type of setup (usually on the rich side) but using a fuel computer and a wideband is typically recommended if you want to have it a bit more fine tuned.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
D.J.T.;1696527 said:
I got an SC400 AFM yesterday from a junkyard... $40. i couldn't make the housing fit in the Accordion pipe. Suggestions gentlemen?...... lol

A little Vaseline. Or buy a new accordion pipe and let it sit in the sun, then a very small amount of Vaseline to make it slide in easier. :naughty:

If you're using an old accordion, it might split on you.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, the accordian pipe is a pain, but it WILL fit (or split if it's old and brittle as Shaeff already mentioned).

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
Sounds like you need fuel support mods now,
Lexus AFM,
550cc injectors or better
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Walbro 255 with a rewire and you should be set for fuel mods
Piggy back or stand alone

If your on a budget, i'd get the Evo 8 injectors (560cc) and hit a junkyard for a lexus afm.

I think fuel support & a wideband should be the first mods you do to the supra, after basic maintenance. Ecu only maps til 12psi, so imo, a piggy back and wideband is required for anything past 12psi

Last edited:

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
shaeff;1696539 said:
A little Vaseline. Or buy a new accordion pipe and let it sit in the sun, then a very small amount of Vaseline to make it slide in easier. :naughty:

If you're using an old accordion, it might split on you.

yup. its has a chunk missing...

i'd like a custom pipe, you know one made of metal...

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Wow im not even close to reach my minimum goal then (300 WHP) i need 550cc's, Walbro, AFPR.. i rather run a Standalone but its expensive & i have no knowledge how to tune with a piggy back... :(