7mgte help for 350hp

mk3supraboy

I have a 88 supra n/a at the moment going to swap the engine to the gte. Keep the w58 upgrade the clutch to some stage 3 to handle the power and change the rear end to the turbo rear end for a everyday drive anywhere freeway etc. So im looking to only get maybe 350hp out of it cause the w58 cant handle i believe 470hp or something like that so if anyone can recommend me anything to achieve that goal it would be tight thanks.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
There is a guide to modifying the gte somewhere on here (or maybe it was supraforums.com). I'll try and remember I think it is something like bigger exhaust, better intercooler and piping, cold air intake (aem dryflow is good), boost controller, wideband/boost gauges, maft pro OR lexus afm/550 injectors mod, fuel controller? That should get you close or at least well on your way to navigate through the forums and search things to learn.

Shifty

Dec 29, 2011
Brisbane
First spend should be a full 3" exhaust, intercooler upgrade, and a k&n filter in the standard airbox. You can also trim/cut the front of the airbox for a better intake and - dare I say it - a nicer induction sound.

If you plan on going further, I would recommend your next step as being a standalone ECU along with upgraded fuel pump & injectors. So many people use 'mish mash' setups and end up with questionable results, you are better off doing it right, once. This allows you to delete the AFM entirely (rather than needing a 'Lexus' one) and gives you the freedom to run any sized injector. It also allows you to upgrade to a larger turbo later, with no problems.

This is all assuming that you have already addressed the head gasket issue.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Replacing the stock exhaust makes a world of a difference. The stock elbow off the turbo is basically a wall of restriction. I went with a 3" divorced downpipe from BIC performance to start with... and its incredible. Loud, but really responsive ever since.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
planemos;1789684 said:
There is a guide to modifying the gte somewhere on here (or maybe it was supraforums.com). I'll try and remember I think it is something like bigger exhaust, better intercooler and piping, cold air intake (aem dryflow is good), boost controller, wideband/boost gauges, maft pro OR lexus afm/550 injectors mod, fuel controller? That should get you close or at least well on your way to navigate through the forums and search things to learn.

Are you referring to this thread? http://www.thesupraforums.com/showthread.php?t=1

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Here is the list i know that is proven to get you there:

1. Make sure you have no oil/fuel leaks and engine is up for the power.
2. Intake .. You can buy aem, k&n, etc for around $150 or just buy and ebay adapter $10 and with k&n filter $35 = $50
3. Exhaust full 3 inch mandrel bend. Widemouth Downpipe is around $200 shipped ebay or seller here and a full 3 inch catless catback again ebay around $200 shipped = $400
4. Intercooler kit is around $350
5. Walbro or denso fuel pump and a new fuel filter $130
6.Ajustable Fuel Pressure regulator kit around $250
7. Clutch for w58 spec , centerforce etc for around $400-500
8. The stock injectors will handle 300-350 rwhp
9.safc or something to fine tune it.
10. Boost controller i love the HKS evc 4

Now the turbo a stock turbo at 14-15 psi will get you around 300 rwhp and 350rwtq. I know cause i had same mods different supras same result.

Now and upgradded turbo will run you around $450 -550. I recomend you, if you do and ct26 upgade, a 60 trim not the 60-1. I have had both and i love them both but the 60 trim is more reliable than 60-1. With the 60-1 and the above mods i wrote results were

1st run 15 psi on the ct26-1 was 375 rwhp and over 400 rwtq i shut her down cause we were almost maxing out the stock injectors.
2nd run 11.5 psi it was 350rwhp and 375 rwtq at an a/f ration of 11.5 to 11.7

With the 60 trim i added 550cc injectors , Maft Pro speed and density and turned the boost to 18 psi and dynoed 430rwhp and 430rwtq with a small 5 minute tune on the maftpro...

Hope this helps you a little bit or at least gives you a basic idea of what it takes to get to certain power levels. By the way INSTALL A METAL HEAD GASKET AND ARP STUDS WHILE THE 7MGTE IS OUT. Or you wont go past stock boost on the stock HG. Good luck and keep us updated..

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Why are people suggesting a standalone system for a 350hp goal?
I could see a standalone, if the person wants to go much further in the future, but I wouldn't go standalone for under 400hp.

I would say to upgrade in the following order, if 350 truly is your max desire:
1. ARP headstuds and new OEM or Felpro gasket.
2. As suggested, full exhaust and quality downpipe.
3. Also as suggested, freeflow intake
4. Manual or electronic boost controller, set to 10-12psi.

Now drive it. See if you like where you're at.
A healthy engine with this setup should give you around 250-275hp/tq.

The other 75hp to reach 350 requires going to greater lengths.

5. Walbro/ Denso/ Bosch fuel pump
6. adjustable fuel pressure regulator
7. Lexus AFM(or MAFT/ MAFT pro) and 550 cc injectors.
8. set boost to 14-18psi

This should get you closer to 300-325hp/tq. To go the final stretch to 350;
8. Upgraded CT26 turbo

My understanding is that you COULD get to 350 on the stock turbo, but I question its longevity.
I don't believe the stock intercooler is a barrier to 350hp, although it is a restriction.

Another upgrade that I think goes towards reliability, even in a stock-powered Supra-
(Call it step 2.5) Upgraded radiator. I think the factory unit is barely adequate.

mk3supraboy

Well i have a non turbo supra that i want to swap the turbo engine in there with stock w58 transmission only upgrading the clutch and the rear end to the turbo rear end. I have a 3 1/2 catback on there already so i dont need that and if i do get the jdm 7mgte im going to need the plumbing, downpipe and a k&n air filter. Also when i get the motor do a full rebuild of gaskets,arp bolts,hks metal head gasket cause you can reuse it. Can i get away with a stock fuel pump,bigger injectors,no fuel pressure regulator. Im trying to get 350hp and around 330/tq.

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
do you need a wide band for 350? ive been looking and a few people suggested it for the tuning. also is it absolutely necessary to get FPR with a walboro?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Why do you want an HKS headgasket "because you can reuse it"?
You plan on blowing it?

A metal head gasket is always a good idea, but plan on having both the head and the block surfaces decked to a smoother finish, or you may be reducing the reliability of the gasket.

So, you plan to upgrade to bigger injectors(~$300-$500), but want to know if you can use the stock 22+ yr old fuel pump, instead of buying a $100 Walbro? I'm not seeing the logic here.

Also, if you plan on attacking this 350hp goal in steps(as I recommend), I would do the LSD later. I started with a W58 and an NA diff, and loved it with 250+hp/tq. Keeping the w58 and moving to an LSD(unless you find a 4.1 lsd) will throw off your speedo.

A 3.5 catback is a great start, but won't deliver full potential till you get a 3.5 downpipe. Are you using this catback on your NA? If so, you're probably losing power through loss of exhaust velocity.

As to the other question- do you need a wideband? No- as long as you do all your tuning at dyno sessions. Without the wideband, you won't know where your air/fuel ratio is, and that can be dangerous.

topekamk3

Nov 4, 2011
Topeka, KS
Also to answer one of your questions supraguy missed you will want an adjustable fpr...Otherwise you will have the extra flow of the fuel pump and no accuate way to controll it. Don't forget to drill out or eliminate the j-tube as well.

mk3supraboy

Your Right supra guy like ive just heard about the metal headgasket i want a reliable engine so in your opinion what would you recommend steps in getting to 350hp. Why keep the n/a rear end? Also yes its a cat back 3.5" and its stayed the same cause when i bought the car the stock 20 yr old muffler was falling apart. Im gonna need all the intercooler plumbling already so probably get a ebay one my buddys got some new injectors for me so ima probably do the fuel pump as well but trying to stay away from a fpr as of now until i get a r154 and a turbo rear end to handle the power i want to achieve later

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
My advise would be to sell the NA supra and get a turbo supra. Then simple BPU mods will get you 350 hp. The easiest route would be Lex AFM, used AFC, intercooler hard pipes/bov, boost controller, full exhaust. For 350rwhp, a walbro pump and a CT26 upgrade will be needed. I have no idea why someone is telling you to get a standalone for 350hp.

Also, you can torque your head down tighter and hope it holds. Or install a MLS headgasket.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
supraguy@aol;1789821 said:
Why are people suggesting a standalone system for a 350hp goal?
I could see a standalone, if the person wants to go much further in the future, but I wouldn't go standalone for under 400hp.

I would say to upgrade in the following order, if 350 truly is your max desire:
1. ARP headstuds and new OEM or Felpro gasket.
2. As suggested, full exhaust and quality downpipe.
3. Also as suggested, freeflow intake
4. Manual or electronic boost controller, set to 10-12psi.

Now drive it. See if you like where you're at.
A healthy engine with this setup should give you around 250-275hp/tq.

The other 75hp to reach 350 requires going to greater lengths.

5. Walbro/ Denso/ Bosch fuel pump
6. adjustable fuel pressure regulator
7. Lexus AFM(or MAFT/ MAFT pro) and 550 cc injectors.
8. set boost to 14-18psi

This should get you closer to 300-325hp/tq. To go the final stretch to 350;
8. Upgraded CT26 turbo

My understanding is that you COULD get to 350 on the stock turbo, but I question its longevity.
I don't believe the stock intercooler is a barrier to 350hp, although it is a restriction.

Another upgrade that I think goes towards reliability, even in a stock-powered Supra-
(Call it step 2.5) Upgraded radiator. I think the factory unit is barely adequate.
This is the correct order of operations, despite the fact that he's got two step eights listed! :) I would personally go with upgraded hardpipes and intercooler before an upgraded turbo, but the order there isn't absolutely critical.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
GrimJack;1790831 said:
This is the correct order of operations, despite the fact that he's got two step eights listed! :) I would personally go with upgraded hardpipes and intercooler before an upgraded turbo, but the order there isn't absolutely critical.

Doh! two step 8's!

To be honest, I myself did what you suggest, and got upgraded IC and piping before a bigger turbo.
But my excuse is that I swapped my car to turbo, and never had the stock IC components.
Plus I wanted a big blingy FMIC.

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
topekamk3;1790290 said:
Also to answer one of your questions supraguy missed you will want an adjustable fpr...Otherwise you will have the extra flow of the fuel pump and no accuate way to controll it. Don't forget to drill out or eliminate the j-tube as well.

can u further explain this for me? im pretty much doing the same mods as supra boy.

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
As to the other question- do you need a wideband? No- as long as you do all your tuning at dyno sessions. Without the wideband, you won't know where your air/fuel ratio is, and that can be dangerous.[/QUOTE]

as for the wideband. please excuse my newbish tendancies. ive actually done a lot of research on this, but the wideband sends the a/f ratio to the safc rite? so a wideband and a safc go hand and hand rite?