7MGTE fan clutch

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Hey guys looking for a 7MGTE fan clutch brand new as my car is starting to overheat in traffic.

Whats the OEM part number ? Tried toyodiy.com but they dont seem to have the fan clutch itself there.

Also , I'm aware that the 7MGTE had a greater number of fan blades then the 7MGE but was the same fan clutch used or is a separate fan clutch used for the 7MGTE?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1601&P=1

16210-42070

That's the PN you will want to use. Expect to pay between $150 and $200. Either go OEM or rebuild your own. Do a search on here, someone posted how to rebuild them with new fluid. Aftermarket clutches have been known to be crappy, so avoid them.

NA's came with a different clutch, and a 7 blade fan.
Turbos came with a beefier clutch and a 10 blade fan.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
gsxr141;1820640 said:

CyFi6;1820641 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1601&P=1

16210-42070

That's the PN you will want to use. Expect to pay between $150 and $200. Either go OEM or rebuild your own. Do a search on here, someone posted how to rebuild them with new fluid. Aftermarket clutches have been known to be crappy, so avoid them.

NA's came with a different clutch, and a 7 blade fan.
Turbos came with a beefier clutch and a 10 blade fan.

gsxr141;1820643 said:
try the for sale section. i got a fan and clutch really cheap.

Turbo Habanero;1820647 said:
+1 I bought one from Autozone brand new for about $50 and it's so flipping loud and annoying comes on every time i go to Idle at a light

This would be the best cheap route but shipping might kill you

thanks for all the help guys , needed that part number! Shoulda check the TSRM before i posted ...sorry ...

Cant really buy from US shops as shipping to Sydney will kill me , same for buying of the forums here.

Also want to buy a brand new one .There used to be a single guy in Australia that had them in stock but he recently just sold out.oh well , the hunt is on.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
tmsperformance;1820655 said:
try 2 14" electric fans. That seems to work really well for me.

ive heard replacing them with thermo fans are much better as the fan clutch robs power from the engine

I then recently heard that the power that the fan clutch takes form the engine is negligible and really isnt worth the cost and effort it takes to install the shroud and thermo fans as the power increase is barely a few hp.

then again ,this is just heresay , so until I see more compelling evidence I'm more inclined to go OEM.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Fan clutch takes power away from the motor this is true

But so do electric fans most will say that fan clutches are more safe and will keep your engine running cooler temps.

Now that being said

Electric fans don't make your car sound like a metro Bus/Airplane jet fighter

And you can wire a toggle switch to have them turn on whenever you want them on. I.E at the drag strip you can turn them off for your drag pass to use the H.P and flip them back on when you go across the finish line

Plus they look cleaner in the engine bay.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Turbo Habanero;1820662 said:
Fan clutch takes power away from the motor this is true

But so do electric fans most will say that fan clutches are more safe and will keep your engine running cooler temps.

Now that being said

Electric fans don't make your car sound like a metro Bus/Airplane jet fighter

And you can wire a toggle switch to have them turn on whenever you want them on. I.E at the drag strip you can turn them off for your drag pass to use the H.P and flip them back on when you go across the finish line

Plus they look cleaner in the engine bay.

ah ha! excellently explained. The power difference is negligible but you have more control , sounds better and looks cleaner.

I really have far to much to do on my car to much around with aftermarket fans, so if there is bolt on electric fans and i cant find a clutch fan in Australia then I may just go with electric fans

Bolt on options include the obligatory CXRacing offer and a few others. After a few experiences Im very very wary of the term "bolt on".

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=7mgte+fan

Any positive experiences with any of the "bolt on" fans you guys have used and just how bolt on where they?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Electric fans will need wiring to be done really easy. most people i have seen come with a enclosure around them but nothing like the stock shroud just look around and google a bit you will find what suits you best.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
On the DD I was thinking about keeping the stock clutch fan and mounting a 14" fan infront of the radiator. Pusher style for a little extra cooling.

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
tmsperformance;1820681 said:
On the DD I was thinking about keeping the stock clutch fan and mounting a 14" fan infront of the radiator. Pusher style for a little extra cooling.

isnt that overkill

if using thermos , what size would you guys reccommend? 8' , 10' , 12 ' or 14'? I know the bigger the better but I want the fans to fit snugly in my engine bay

Oct 4, 2011
PA
aloshan;1820700 said:
isnt that overkill

if using thermos , what size would you guys reccommend? 8' , 10' , 12 ' or 14'? I know the bigger the better but I want the fans to fit snugly in my engine bay

I dont believe it will be with alot of stop and go driving. 14" fit snuggly on the radiator.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Stick with a fan clutch.
More reliable. I used to have Flex-a-lite 210's and the thermo control fried on it, allowing it to overheat.
Then a temp sensor fried on it, allowing it to overheat. The a connector came loose, allowing it to overheat.
Also, electric fans will run on for like 5+ minutes after you shut down, unless you fab a sensor point away from the water elbow or upper rad(specifically mid to lower rad) because that water stays hot and can't circulate away from the sensor.
When they work, elec. fans cool just fine. But so does the factory setup. If a fan clutch fails, it fails to full speed, thus cools your engine. If an electric fan fails, you get to shop for a new head gasket.

But that's just me.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
aloshan;1820700 said:
isnt that overkill
There's no such thing as overkill when it comes to a cooling system on a Supra... See below.

Nick M;1820806 said:
Toyota didn't think so.
To elaborate a bit, although you won't find them on every car (stupid previous owners...), Toyota put a couple small electric fans in front of the radiator to aid with cooling at low speeds, it would push extra air through the radiator.

Seen a few setups where people put bigger fans in front of the radiator to replace the stockers...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It's simple.

Car came with an electric fan. Keep it. It's designed to work from the factory. Example, GS300 2JZ-GTE Swaps.

Car came with a clutch fan setup. Keep it. Why? Its designed to work.