7mgte cold start injector time switch question

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The sensor /switch on my JDM 7mgte sits on topof the coolant thermostat housing right beside the head. It broke while doing some cam gear work so if I plug it in the car won't start. Unplug it and the car starts and runs fine.

This is like 265.00 for the replacement sensor so I am wondering how much of an effect it will have on engine operation.

When unplugged will the CSI just become dormant or will it run constantly. I guessing it simply won't engage and the engine may not fast idle correctly when it gets near or below freezing.

Can I leave this unplugged while I hunt for a used one without much worry?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I had my CSI disconnected for a year or so. The only trouble I had with it was it had a little bit of trouble when it got below 40 degrees or so. Once it was running though, it ran fine.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My son drives my Red 88 (bought it for him). Its going to go to -30'ish C this winter and he may drive it off an on (minimally) as a "between-city" car so I may have to replace it. Gonna be cold this winter in Canada I think.

I was worried because it sends a signal to the ECU which turns on the injector. I am not a fan of disconnecting sensors that talk to the ECU unless I know they wont have a negative effect.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Whoaa, let's not make up things here.

The CSI switch turns on the cold start injector. This is only engaged during cranking. The CSI control the duration of the CSI operation during cranking, and repeated start attempts to avoid flooding and the like. The ECU also can turn on the CSI, but again only during cranking. The two are not redundant, you need both. Where I live you might get away without it, but not in Calgary.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kk, thought so, just wasn't sure when it engaged because the sensor is on the thermostat housing. Figured that it would turn the cold injector on during start at a specific block temp and then not engage the injector when starting a warm engine.

Starts fine at 10 Celsius and 0c = 32f. Figured it would engage somewhere ariund the 0-10 C mark. Probably more crucial if the injectors are slightly dirty for that extra gas spurt during first start up.