7mge-T?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Poodles, Been driving my NA-T at 400HP+ on cast pistons with no squirters for a while. Daily drive it to work every day. If you know what you are doing with tuning then it is fine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Cartech%207MGE1.jpg

Cartech%207MGE2.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
For the 7M, you can put the GTE manifold and turbo directly onto the GE head (Exact same casting.) In terms of that, it's a breeze to get things connected.

The cheapest way to get forced aspiration onto a 7M-GE is to put the manifold and turbo onto the engine. Add in an intercooler and some piping and you're good to go. You'll need to re-route some of the intake and stuff, like the idle speed control air intake would need to be routed to between the AFM and turbo. You'ld also need to add in some other things. It's been done, so it's not a complete unknown, but I didn't want to deal with other issues around adding a turbo to an NA motor. (I wouldn't do it with a Honda Civic, either.)

You CAN keep the W58, though you'll probably need to get an upgraded clutch pretty quick. You're suddenly going to have a lot more torque than you used to.

Probably the cheapest and most direct method of turboing the NA motor is to get the turbo and manifold from a GTE (Should be fairly inexpensive, certainly less than even an eBay turbo kit.) get a softline kit from Driftmotion or the like, since you don't have the provisions already in the block. There are kits to put a CT-26 onto an NA block for a reasonable price.

At one point, my intent was to get a manifold and turbo, and bolt it onto my NA block. I intended at that point to leave it at stock boost (6-7PSI) and keep the 9.2:1 compression. Some additional fuel is also needed, so something like an AIC would be a good idea, so you don't run lean on the small NA injectors. It is probably possible to turbo a 7M-GE for under $1500 depending on the price you can get good used parts for.

That said, without more supporting mods than a corresponding 7M-GTE would require, you will have a lower power ceiling, which is ultimately the reason that I decided against this course of action.

On the plus side though, the higher compression would mean that your turbo will spool faster, so you get a nice broad power curve.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Devin LeBlanc;1770655 said:
Poodles, Been driving my NA-T at 400HP+ on cast pistons with no squirters for a while. Daily drive it to work every day. If you know what you are doing with tuning then it is fine.

Not everyone is as good as you :)

Nick M;1770657 said:

At the time, it wasn't a bad deal. I doubt any of those cars are still around though because of decreased longevity.

Today though, you could get all the parts to make it a true GTE for far less than that.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the information. Still can't really decide I'll read more things over including that guide. I would love being able to crank up pressure to make 400bhp or something, however have it around 300 for daily driver. My PLANS are, whichever engine if I use mine or get a 7mgte, is to take it to the shop to get it machined, getting all gaskets/seals replaced. Besides that, the next step, I do NOT want to use the original turbo system. Looking at purchasing a kit from driftmotion for 1,500$ or so.

The biggest thing about turboing the NA-T is due to the lack of powerful ignition and coilpacks? As in you can't boost much without getting lots of detonation? Still confused on this part.

Transmission wether w58, or r154 I don't really care. A clutch kit will also be used for the vehicle. Quick question about the trans though. Does the r have a lower 5th gear? So I'm not boosting and using a ton of gas to go 75 on the high way? As in I do not like driving 3500rpm to cruise on highway..

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
That's a little bit better. Possible to just have a gear changed no probs? Probably have to take it to atrans shop. Don't expect to be pullin in 5th gear anyways. I hate on the w58, 3rd to 4th drops like 300rpms maybe. -.-

Could lower than 5th gear rpm, could be a bit better on gas, and engine could last longer.

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
if you have lsd diff plenty of drag guys will be willing to trade you for the there 3.73 diffs. the 3.73 diff should give you longer gears not sure how much longer tho

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
You guys are killing me. Way over complicating this. Rebuild your stock motor, get the deck and head milled for a MHG, run a 2MM Stopper. Have the shop drill and tap the factory oil lines for the turbo on the block while it's out and apart. Don't worry about the oil squirters. Buy a blown up 7MGTE for parts. Swap everything on the outside of the motor. Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, etc literally every thing. You don't need a driftmotion kit for your goals, a stock CT can make 300whp easily and an upgraded CT can do 400 without pushing it too much. You'd spool a lot faster, have a better powerband, and save a large chunk of change running a CT or upgraded CT for your power goals. Buy a set of 2.5" intercooler pipes and a cheap front mount. You can probably save enough money going to a stock turbo setup to buy a full 3" exhaust, intercooler, pipes, 550CC injectors, a Lexus AFM, a wideband, a Walbro and an SAFC. The last three things you won't need to hit 300, but you will need to hit 400.

It's not rocket science guys. As for the differential, not all non turbo cars had LSDs. Some of them were open. You also might have 4.30s, which would be the main cause of your high highway RPMs. However, even with 3.73s, you'll still be humming along around 3K at 70-80.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
This helps a bit. But basically I mine as well just buy a turbo motor anyways if you say I still need the manifold and what not. A drift motion would give me the opportunity to go bigger power if I wanted, which I probably will haha. I have the full 3" exhaust. A big front mount intercooler WILL be done as well. If I'm able to get the 100k 7mgte with r154 for $700 I'll probably do that..
My dad has a built ls1 ~400+ hp that he wants to put in a Nova after my engine work. So, I need to be able to smoke him ;) lol.

So if I turbo'd the 7mge I would have to get a new manifold and throttle and afm anyways ? From the gte?

Also would holes for oil lines for an aftermarket turbo on the 7mgte need to be made? Or do they all ready have an oil line?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
I don't know much about internal block work. But an ebay gasket kit has a graphite head gasket. I'm sure I could find another one. Basically I'm goign to give them a gasket set. THey're going to bore and port and all that shiz I believe. And order new pistons that it requires. Replace an bearings, etc that need replaced. It's my dad's friends so cost isn't an issue. Just worried about how it will take awhile and I'll have to drive the prizm for awhile.

But I see how I could get the 7mgte intake manifold and 3000 pipe with an aftermarket turbo kit. The 7mgte intake and pipes are cheap on ebay, includes throttle body. Wonder if I'll still keep Cruise control? Also why would I need the 7mgte manifold.

Can the 7mge ignition keep up with high boost? Is it upgradable?

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If you're going to rebuild it, have them tap the oil drain on the block and oil feed as well. Could also tap the second knock sensor if you wanted to.

You're going to need a 7m-GTE harness and ECU and AFM and igniter and possibly a few other goodies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Poodles;1770674 said:
Not everyone is as good as you :)

At the time, it wasn't a bad deal. I doubt any of those cars are still around though because of decreased longevity.

Today though, you could get all the parts to make it a true GTE for far less than that.

Well, that is true. Nor as stubborn.