7mge na-t or 1jz?

Blue MKiii FTW

Jul 10, 2011
Florida
ive been wanting to turbo my 7mge but my friends keep saying to put a 2jz, but for my budget thats a little to much. i was woundering if it would be better to go 1jz instead of boosting my 7mge and what the price diffrence would be. so give me some feedback cause im not sure which route to choose.:1zhelp:

supraslow!

Apr 7, 2009
Virginia
First off whats the cap to your budget ? What are your plans for the car ? Answer these and they will lead you closer to your decision. I contemplated this very same question and I decided to go 1JZ but that was a stroke of luck that the person I asked had an extra 1JZ even then I still spent close to 2200 and thats buying pieces not a full swap (stupid I know but Im stuck with it) so if you're looking for cheap thrills Id go 7mge-t

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
Keep in mind that your not just going to change the engine, your going to change the trans, piping, fuel pump, wiring, gauges, and much much more, not mentioning the little stuff that pop out of nowhere.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Yeah i'd buy a 7m-gte and go that route..

I think there is a member selling a well built 7m-gte on here for $1000 although its not complete swap.
you'll need harness and ecu also intercooler.

Should go with a R154 transmission as well instead of the w58 if you plan on going with more then 350hp but you could use the w58 until you can save some cash.

Either way none of these swaps are cheap. and if you manage to do it cheap get ready for your car to break

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You could also turbo the 7MGE and make it a NA-T.. however.. that has a few worms... There are some step-by-steps for that (and parts list). I believe you can find a lot of posts here that outlines whats involved.
Here's one that is fairly good...
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?132513-My-7MGE-NA-T-Lots-of-good-pics-and-info&highlight=7MGE+NA-T

Either way, cheap usually = expensive in the end. I suspect that most cars that are for sale with BHG's are a result of "cheap" work.