7m-T Ceilca A/C Compressor Help

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
I'm swapping a 7m into my Celica ST. It doesn't have power windows or sunroof and I want to keep the AC.
I'm appealing to those of you with good knowledge in this area for help.

I've got my engine and radiator mounted into their final positions and as you can see I don't have much space up front, just over an inch up front at the crank.

Here is the compressor from the 88 I got most of my 7M swap parts from. As you can see the clutch sticks out too much and will hit the rad.

Here is the compressor on my 84 Celica.

And I was near picknpull today, so I stopped in. I had a quick walk around and found this on a 2000 mazda 626
p1581605_7.jpg

So the options Ive been looking at are:

Moving the 88 7M compressor back to the middle pulley on the crank. This will involve doing something with the alt.

Trying to locate a pulley and clutch to fit the V belt on the 84 compressor (or just using the 7M comp) and placing it on the passenger side, locating it and the PS pump to near the stock locations.

Or... is there any reason I couldn't use another pump like the Mazda one in the stock location, since it will clear the rad when used on the factory ac crank pulley? I think this is my preferred option if its feasible.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

casgallo

Not a lurker :)
Apr 3, 2005
New York
Nick M;1581742 said:
Front or rear wheel drive? I didn't see the year. Front wheel drive, you will do far more fabricating, or sacrifice.

What does it matter if its front or rear wheel drive? All he wants to know is how to fit the a/c compressor on?

To the OP: Have you considered if the A/C lines would bolt onto the Mazda compressor or do you plan to make custom lines? I do not know if they are the same/ or different. MAN thats a tight fit.

Perhaps get a smaller radiator?:slap::nono:

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
The car is an 84 coupe.

The car you can see the 7m in, in my first post, is a rusted out parts car I'm using to mock everything up.

I don't want to get a smaller rad for a few reasons. The rad I have is from a 5 series bmw but I cut the end tanks off then built and welded aluminium ones on, so I have a lot of time into it. Also it was the biggest I could find that would fit without cutting the car.
I want a lot of cooling capacity because the rad will have the ac condenser in front of it and an intercooler in front of that.

I found a denso compressor today that seems to use the same clutch assembly as the 88 7M compressor that I have. It uses the same 4 rib belt and the clutch sits inside the pulley like the mazda unit. I should be able to use it in the factory location, and still clear the rad.

I'm going to try to find a clutch and pulley that will work on the Celica compressor so I don't have to vent the r12 in the factory lines.

I've never had to work on an ac system before so I'm learning as I go along.

Last edited: