7m stock intake

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
gofastgeorge;1385052 said:
Yup, cuts down on intake noise........
Was one of the first things I threw away years ago.

:3d_frown:

If you're only looking for loud, go for it, but doing so generally causes power loss. This has been discussed ad nauseum, try searching helmholtz, resonator and dyno.

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
so if i replace the entire intake with aftermarket 3'' intake piping but keep the maf and replace the stock airbox with a 3'' high flow filter i'll lose power?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
negligible amount of difference, but you will get a nice wooosh sound if you take away the resonator. the aftermarket filter would make up for any frequency loss

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Things to improve intake:

1. Remove the stock paper filter and replace that area with a high flow filter (AEM DryFlo, for example), then build a heat shield around it. Or you can just lengthen the piping so you have the filter all the way down at the bumper, but that might require cutting.
2. Replace the accordian section with something smooth.
3. Replace the AFM with a MAF. This is more involved.

Don't remove the resonator unless you want sound. You won't benefit from removing it. BTW, you could have just read the N/A Upgrade FAQ and found this out. It's one of the stickies up top.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Ma70.Ent;1386343 said:
Things to improve intake:

3. Replace the AFM with a MAF. This is more involved.

Yeah, about $600+ more involved :aigo:
I talked with Toysport about this, because they used to offer a VPC for the 7MGE,
and they say that unless the engine highly built
(Big cams, big valves, high compression pistons, etc)
You will not see a difference in power,
and even with lots of mods, the gain is negligiable.

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
7mge comes with vaf (vain air flow) .......(mass air flow) is better......vain is one of the earlyiest air meetering sytems to be used in fi systems and is prolly the least acurate of all afm's (air flow meetering) systems ever

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
RazoE;1386489 said:
You got that backwards, ma70.ent, replace the MAF with an AFM...

If you have a donor turbo Supra you can do it, but it wouldn't be worth it...

Hey, try reading this:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=94
FI_094.gif

87tomanymods

87tomanymods
Oct 25, 2008
lansdale
www.myspace.com
i did read it jdub very carefully thanks for prooving me right in that link (http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf) they cover the following .........maf (mass air flow sensor) gm style ........ vaf (vane air flow meter) used in 7mge .... and wait for it........ (karmen vortex air flow meter) used in 7mgte (no abreviation or acrinym) not one single mention of an (afm) ..............so educate yourself (i already went to lincoln tech) (and got my ase certs)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok smartass...you have not been around here long enough to hear an AFM called a MAF more times than I can count. There is a difference and they have different names for a reason...AFM is not a general term like you said. Just because they have the word "air" in the acronym doesn't make one big category. Every one of the sensors you mention are very different.

You might think about going back to class.