7M oil pump mod for more rpm and more oil pressure

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Hey,

I wanted to share an oil pump mod that my friend made for the 7M for more oil pressure. The stock oil pump pulley is modified for a smaller pulley which makes the oil pump rpm's higher which in turn give more oil pressure. The smaller pulley is sourced from a hardware store of some sort. The stock pulley is cut off, and used the stock base for the smaller pulley.

Everything else on the basic oiling system is stock, except for the oil relief spring which is shimmed.

With this mod, you get around 2.5-3 bar at idle and 7.5bar at redline.

Here's the modified pulley:
20141229_191612.jpg

Clearanced oil pump housing for the bigger nylon idler. The bigger idler is used to be able to use stock size belt:
20141229_191625.jpg

Both these ~1200hp 7M's are running this same setup:
[video=youtube;xmswAr-ufes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmswAr-ufes[/video]

[video=youtube;oucEYwgo0Wk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucEYwgo0Wk[/video]

Attachments

• 20141229_191612.jpg
    20141229_191612.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
At first I was going to say that's an unnecessary mod unless you're running really high pow......

And then I saw the video and 217 MPH and 0-180 mph under 20s, haha.

Neat idea to increase pressure for high power applications.

I wonder if that pulley design would cause undue wear on a daily driven car or even a track car with lots of hours. That kind of pressure increase has potential to wear out pump components that would never really be an issue on a stock pump.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Maybe not at idle but higher pressure cannot hurt with keeping oil film between the bearings and crank at those amazing power levels.

I personally think most people are crazy with all the "oil mods" they do on cars that might make 500whp. Seen several of the "great idea upgrades" fail and cost people engines.

I would take a tight clearance engine like factory new shortblock and stock oiling system any day. IMO

I have never seen a 7M fail that was full of oil. I'm not talking about noticing a noise then topping off oil. I am talking about not letting it get low. IMO

I bet you see lots of cars you change oil on everyday that are low on oil.