7M head differences

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Well guys, i took both of my heads into class to perform practice valvejobs on, and as i was cutting seats i noticed a significant difference between the two. One head has a radiused seperater that divides the two intake valves on each intake port. As for the other head, the divider is set closer to the valve guides by about 1.25", and instead of being a nice radiused piece, its very blunt and wide. I dont know if this is a year change, an GE-GTE change or what but it seems to be a very significant difference. Lets discuss...

Blunt, and fat. the edge is closer to the guides
p1336889_1.jpg

another of the same as above
p1336889_2.jpg

Now with the sharper divider, that starts about 1.25" closer to the intake manifold mounting surface.
p1336889_3.jpg

and another
p1336889_4.jpg

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Welcome to 2001.

The head has a casting number on the intake side.

Higher the number newer the casting.

And the head difference happened in 89 or 90.

But there have been 15or16 Known Revisions.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
There are different casting revisions on the 7M head, I'm not sure if it's pre & post '89 though. You can tell by the number stamped on it, perhaps Ian or another more knowledgeable member could give revision dates...ooops Zumtizzle beat me to it.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
You guys said a lot but nothing far off from what i already know. Im more directied towards which ones going to yield more power, and what specified years, and variations we can get these heads from.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There are at least 16 revisions...

Most will have been done as production changes at the foundry to make it release easier or to correct inherent defects and the later heads will have been an effort to reduce emmisions.

No one I know or have ever seen has data on year/revision or has even flowed them stock for stock.

I don't know what more you want?

Easy rule of the thumb is bigger number means it's a younger head so has had less time to be damaged by stupid owners overheating it but as always a hardness test is the #1 thing to do before starting any work on a 7M head.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
is there a "proper" way to test hardness or is it something that varies from machine shop to machine shop?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
umm i found out some thing really neat today and made me think wtf at the same time thous number mean what casting it is

i found another set of numbers for the casting it hard to read but right in the front were the timing cover it some of them are easy to read some are not

p1624126_1.jpg

p1624126_2.jpg

p1624126_3.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
bother are the same cast number but there different heads, one has big ports alot more free flowing and the other's ports are very restive ports and a lot smaller too

there is a casting that is hajnd written on every head and that by the timing cover some of them are very hard to read

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
NashMan;1624469 said:
bother are the same cast number but there different heads, one has big ports alot more free flowing and the other's ports are very restive ports and a lot smaller too

there is a casting that is hajnd written on every head and that by the timing cover some of them are very hard to read

Perhaps one head has been worked over in the last 20 years?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Keros;1624608 said:
Perhaps one head has been worked over in the last 20 years?

no there is no chances there both stock heads

on a side not i herd they changed the ports 3 times but i have only scene 2 different ones ???? i wounder if this is true

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ok after may years i am pretty sure they had a an n/a head and trubo head but later on down the road they just ketp one for every thing and usedone type of head

or some one at the founderly put the wrong plugs in the casting mold

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
That could be the big port casting reason. But, some have pointed out the big port head on early and late 7MGE. Who knows. And it isn't like Toyota will ever say. And by Toyota, I mean Toyota in Japan.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Going from the Toyota world to the GM world and back to tinkering with my old car, its nice how well documented all the different heads are for an LS type engine. Known good combos, known bad combos, which heads flow the best, which heads have the biggest/smallest chambers blah blah blah.