7M-GTE vs GT500

Sinful7m

addicted to boost...
Aug 26, 2009
Oldbridge Nj
gt500's dont totally impress me i saw a younger guy at the local spot here in jersey a couple of weekends ago with his gt500 running his mouth tossing money around and a nice notchback strolled by for a bit and took his money with ease i believe it was a nicley built 306 gt500's are pretty sluggish if you ask me when im done with my final settup im looking to hunt these regularly and its pretty sick that you didnt back down from him nice kill even if you only had him by a fender"winnings winning it doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile" lol pretty corny but its true

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
GT500 was first produced in 2007 (later stuff) and was rated at 500hp (not brakehp) with mid to high 12sec quarter times.

If it was a 98ish then it wasnt a gt500. But Ford claimed you bolt on their supercharger and headers to achieve 500hpon these (5.4l that is). Plus this generation was a couple of hundred pounds lighter than the new ones.

Just some info.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
dragracer;1405309 said:
GT500 was first produced in 2007 (later stuff) and was rated at 500hp (not brakehp) with mid to high 12sec quarter times.

If it was a 98ish then it wasnt a gt500. But Ford claimed you bolt on their supercharger and headers to achieve 500hpon these (5.4l that is). Plus this generation was a couple of hundred pounds lighter than the new ones.

Just some info.

i know the 98ish wasn't a Shelby. That first mustang was a normal GT. The one behind it was the Shelby. As (im pretty sure) i stated befor, I thought at first it was just a Shelby GT till it took off. After passing to get infront after both making the right i noticed the GT500 vinyls on the side of the car running down the side skirts. I work for a ford dealership and have seen a few GT500's and know what i saw and messed w/. In my book, GT500's aint shit. Its all about that 7M Supra :evil2:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
dragracer;1405309 said:

Just some info.

SN95s typically weigh between 3000 and 3500, ranging from the lightest coupe to a heavier vert. S197s range from 3300-4200. 96-98 GTs are about the slowest damn Mustang ever made lol the coupes literally run mid 15s, with verts between that and 16s. GT500s with decent drivers run low to mid 12s, with good drivers banging out high 11s. GT500s only share the block with regular Ford 5.4s. Lotta misinformation in this thread.

The "big recall" mentioned above was for one year of a limited production run model (99 Cobra). Not a big deal. There was an issue with the heads. Most of the Cobras made have been underrated if anything (93-95, 01, 03-04, 07+). 93-95s typically make about 40hp more than stock, 01s are estimated to make about 20hp more than stock, 03-04s usually dyno with more rwhp than they're rated for lol

MA70witBoost;1405574 said:
i know the 98ish wasn't a Shelby. That first mustang was a normal GT. The one behind it was the Shelby. As (im pretty sure) i stated befor, I thought at first it was just a Shelby GT till it took off. After passing to get infront after both making the right i noticed the GT500 vinyls on the side of the car running down the side skirts. I work for a ford dealership and have seen a few GT500's and know what i saw and messed w/. In my book, GT500's aint shit. Its all about that 7M Supra :evil2:

You're nuts. GT500 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the average MkIII Supra. Far, far better platform to build upon.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Quin;1405759 said:
SN95s typically weigh between 3000 and 3500, ranging from the lightest coupe to a heavier vert. S197s range from 3300-4200. 96-98 GTs are about the slowest damn Mustang ever made lol the coupes literally run mid 15s, with verts between that and 16s. GT500s with decent drivers run low to mid 12s, with good drivers banging out high 11s. GT500s only share the block with regular Ford 5.4s. Lotta misinformation in this thread.

The "big recall" mentioned above was for one year of a limited production run model (99 Cobra). Not a big deal. There was an issue with the heads. Most of the Cobras made have been underrated if anything (93-95, 01, 03-04, 07+). 93-95s typically make about 40hp more than stock, 01s are estimated to make about 20hp more than stock, 03-04s usually dyno with more rwhp than they're rated for lol

You're nuts. GT500 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the average MkIII Supra. Far, far better platform to build upon.

Partialy true... anything else youd like to add? :sarcasm:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
MA70witBoost;1405780 said:
Partialy true... anything else youd like to add? :sarcasm:

Yeah, does your little cartoon car have 89+ side pieces with no center section? I always thought that'd look good in person...

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
I don't mean to call bs or call you a liar. Good race! But.. I was just thinking after reading and it seems as though there are far too many kill stories that always end up with " after i passed him he turned right off ". Any encounter i have ever been in or my friend has been in, me being a passenger - this has never happened that the guy has made the next turn off or turned off an exit. I'm just skeptical, thats all.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
^Turns out people dont just go driving for races. Chances are the reason their in the car is to transport them to a specific destination by a specific time. If they happen along a race, great.
I know Im not going to follow some dude in a old jap car 10 miles in the wrong way to suck his dick and tell him "better luck next time little dude", Just to get to work late, get fired and have to sell my kick ass sports car.

Shalbys are great cars, the same as supras. But the difference in them is like chocolate candy bar and sou gummy bears. Both great, both different.

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
FullNelson;1407078 said:
^Turns out people dont just go driving for races. Chances are the reason their in the car is to transport them to a specific destination by a specific time. If they happen along a race, great.
I know Im not going to follow some dude in a old jap car 10 miles in the wrong way to suck his dick and tell him "better luck next time little dude", Just to get to work late, get fired and have to sell my kick ass sports car.

Shalbys are great cars, the same as supras. But the difference in them is like chocolate candy bar and sou gummy bears. Both great, both different.

not what i'm saying...

think about it for a min. They catch a light. they race and he turns off right after they get done racing. I guess it's just coincidence most of the time then.

anyways.. good race and it must feel nice to hang with a car like that.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Yblegal91t;1407029 said:
I don't mean to call bs or call you a liar. Good race! But.. I was just thinking after reading and it seems as though there are far too many kill stories that always end up with " after i passed him he turned right off ". Any encounter i have ever been in or my friend has been in, me being a passenger - this has never happened that the guy has made the next turn off or turned off an exit. I'm just skeptical, thats all.

well, let me remind you that in post #5 i said:

MA70witBoost;1395861 said:
let me emphasize the point that at no point in time has it been said that this is a kill... the GT500 probably was just messing w/ me but that being said it was pretty cool.

FullNelson's more than likely right. He wasn't looking for a race (I was), he was probably just on his way somewhere and ran into someone eager to have fun.

Saw a GTR yesterday. Wish I was in the supra so I could've posted how that little skirmish went but was sadly in my sisters Hyundai Accent.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
MA70witBoost;1407343 said:
Saw a GTR yesterday. Wish I was in the supra so I could've posted how that little skirmish went but was sadly in my sisters Hyundai Accent.

I saw one run at Mission, don't think there would of been much of one;)

But yah, not everyone has time or really gives a F*** about try to race on the street. Fullnelson got it.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
dumbo;1407601 said:
I saw one run at Mission, don't think there would of been much of one;)

But yah, not everyone has time or really gives a F*** about try to race on the street. Fullnelson got it.

true... atleast not real street racing. its usualy just step on it for a gear or two to see how much pull ya get and off the gas... most street races aren't really races, just a show of speed.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
To be fast takes alot of time, money, brains and patience to get the car set up right. To be a stop light racer, you just need to know when to catch the other car off guard right before your turn.

Congrats on the race, the GT500 isnt a car to be taken lightly, and clearly by not having had him rip you a new one, youve proven to be on the right path with your Supra (the road not to becoming a street light racer):bigthumb:

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Ever since the first time I owned the supra I knew It had potential. I'll take on anything thats down to mess around. You never know what your gonna get. Love messing w/ exotics or muscle cars. Even If i think off the bat that imma get raped its always nice to know by how much and how much you woulda needed to take them out. As soon as im back on the road expect me to go hunting more exotics :evil2: :naughty:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
GT500's are pretty nice. They run mid 12's on average stock.. But they are so easy to mod too. Getting them to high 600's rwhp is not too hard..
With that said, I would like to see what I could do againt one.. A stock one:)