7M-GTE vs GT500

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
I was on my way to work a little bit early this morning. at around 6:30am i pull up on this like 98ish Mustang GT. Well im rolling in third and i drop back a bit so i can spool up and let him hear my Tial BOV. He ignored me and didn't do anything. I looked in my passenger side mirror and noticed the two big center foglights of another newer Mustang. Bluish HID's. So i started thinking ok cool, I have two to play with. Well i dropped back a bit and let the other Mustang pass. It was blue with silver stripes. I noticed the Shelby Badging on the back of the car but thought it was a simply Shelby GT. All of a suden the shelby punches it and I find myself like 15 cars behind spoolin trying to keep up. We both get to the light and coincidentaly he had to turn where i had to to go to work. :evil2: Well i drove up, got about a car ahead, was cruising in third when i heard the short shifter in the shelby shift gears. Well i stand on the throttle. When i finally hit full boost he's at my door. Throw fourth. Im not sure if i pulled a fender or if he got off the gas or got on the brakes or what but mid fourth gear i got a fender on him. he switched lanes left, right after that and made a left. Felt great to be able to keep up w/ the GT500. :biglaugh: Makes me want to ask the sales people at my dealership to let out their KR to play. :evil2:

Last edited:

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
MA70witBoost;1395861 said:
let me emphasize the point that at no point in time has it been said that this is a kill... the GT500 probably was just messing w/ me but that being said it was pretty cool.

ya those things are rated at like what 550 or 600 hp not when u buy the on the dealersticker it says not meant to be driven on the street that cobra was prob like 1/4 gas lol but id love to play with one when my proj is done

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
I was going to say, doesn't sound like you kept up....lol.

Good to know he bought to car to play with, not just to cruise and know he has the power there and never use it.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i've got to say i've ridden in one of these things (the mustang)... and i was generally unimpressed... these cars (the gt500) are kinda on the heavy side, so i wouldn't be surprised if you did keep up with him

just looked at the curb weight

here it is...

3,920 lbs for the hardtop
4,040 lbs for the convertible

now that's a tank of a sports car, lol.

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
I always get a kick out of how our 20+ year old cars have more advanced tech then some of the newer cars, suspenion wise anyway.
They make a big deal that the new 2010 camaro has all new independent rear suspenion.:biglaugh:
Ps. I hope I get a chance to kill a gt500 someday.:evil2:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I've heard that their detuned for the first 50 warm up cycles per the ECM. Has anyone heard anything similar, or is there any truth behind this. Seems far fetched but you never know. I saw one run at Mission, can't remeber the time but I wasn't impressed.(That I remember clearly.)

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
funky_monkey58;1398089 said:
I have seen them dyno at 500 rwhp stock.

Not everything you read applies to every make/model.

True...but typically, it's going to be less than it's rated "depending drive train/axle setup etc etc"

And it's going to be different from car to car, even same make/model likely too...15% loss in hp from crank to standard tranny to rear wheels is ballpark

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ford is known for overrating their figures. Remember the big recall on the Cobras because they didn't really deliver theri stated figures?

GM on the other hand always understates...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
dumbo;1398101 said:
I've heard that their detuned for the first 50 warm up cycles per the ECM. Has anyone heard anything similar, or is there any truth behind this. Seems far fetched but you never know. I saw one run at Mission, can't remeber the time but I wasn't impressed.(That I remember clearly.)

Car runs on limp mode for the first few miles (dont know how many that is though)

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
well the 500hp mustang is just a muscle car. I was watching a video on Shelby's Terlingua Mustang and that shit is more impressive if you ask me. V6 Supercharged making 375 at the wheels. They took the muscle out of the mustang (to an extent) and made it into a sports car that actually has decent handling and overall performance. they claim that it'll out preform the gt500's on a short course due to the weight of the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ebqo18dkw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZibVCUGf8