7M-GTE Build 650hp+ needs advice

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
My buddy recently bought a red 89' turbo supra with an AT and we're hoping to get as much power as possible out of it. It came with about $5000 in internal work. Forged everything except pistons, port and polished head, FFMI with hard pipes, 3mm HKS metal head gasket and an aluminum drive shaft.

Since he got it, he bought:
AEM EMS and sensors
Apexi AVC-R boost controller
$3k transmission rebuild for 1500hp DD
recirculated DDP, test pipe and 3.5" cat back
silicone inlet pipe
K&N FIPK
$2k fuel kit
AIM guage display
upgraded alternator
upgraded ignition (I forget which one)
and a full Demon body kit and wing
carbon fiber hood with vents
plus many other small things

With any luck, hopefully we'll have a shop do a full engine rebuild soon. He's hoping to maybe install the AEM EMS, JE pistons, fuel kit , FFIM and a new turbo all at once during the rebuild and tuning stage so it'll be pretty much done all at once. Anyone know a good place that does rebuilds in Virginia?

Obviously there's going to be lots of other parts to replace to support all of that. Any thoughts on other parts we'll need or general thoughts? Thanks!
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

kikdurazz

what's the birdcage for?
Apr 1, 2005
winnipeg
Why would he buy a k+N FIPK when he bought an AEM ems? you get rid of the accordian hose and stock electronics for the AFM and place new filter either on the turbo itself or have a 4inch tube made up. Any turbo your planning to hit 650 with will have at least a 4 inch inlet.

What turbo is he planning on running?

Why buy a apexi avcr could he not just use the boost control feature of the AEM?

Hate to say it but your buddy needs to do more homework.

This has fail written all over it. :runaway:

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Some of these things he may already have or might be some what obvious things you will need but based off what you have listed here you go.

FMIC by Driftmotion, CX Racing depending on what you want to spend. Aaron at Driftmotion says that the IC he sales can support 750hp. I will most likely be using it for my build.
Mishimoto Radiator
Precision Billet 67 or Garrett gt40r if you have not decided
OEM complete gasket set, pricey but worth it for a 650hp build
Ferrea valve train
ARP head studs, main studs
Billet main caps
Brian Crower cams
Oil Pump
Water pump

Also if you don't mind me asking what did he pay for this machine? Seems like it has a lot of work done already. If he hasn't had the motor apart already hope that this guy he bought it from showed him some receipts before he purchased it.
Timing belt

Some things are optional but considering what he has already spent it doesn't seem like that money is and issue. Good luck with the build

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
I am wondering about the 1500hp transmission. Fully built th400 or powerglide? OEM a340e even with every upgrade you can do will explode if you try to put 1500 hp to it. I would not even want to put 700 on one.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Yea he has the receipts I believe. I think he paid about $3000 for it which is awesome. The grey cloth interior is perfect! The transmission was bad which was perfect cuz it needed to be built anyways. I should've mentioned obvously it had ARP studs with the MHG. It also came with a mishimoto rad. I tried to tell him that the FIPK and silicone inlet was a waste of money bc with the standalone we'll be using a 4" inlet but I think he just likes spending money. He wanted the boost controller to be able to change boost per RPM easily from the drivers seat. Thanks for the advice! There's no chance of it failing, he's spending far too much for that to happen.
________
FIND HEADSHOP

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
So is it an oem transmission or a GM transmission? Not saying a well built a340e is not a good trans, just that if the shop that did it is claiming it will hold 1500hp, then they are full of something.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
Yeah good point Rich. Don't jinks your friend. Just because he is spending a lot of money doesn't mean something can't go wrong. Plus he is spending a lot of money on parts. The important part is making sure the person that is putting this motor together has a ton of experience with working on 7m's and then comes tuning the thing. Unfortunately I do not know of anyone in your area that has experience with working on 7m's so hopefully someone can help you with that.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Thanks. Yea Im sure 1500hp is totally unrealistic but I doubt we'll ever see half that so it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone know where to get a good quality FFIM for cheap? Any east coast shops around with 7m experience?
________
Headshops

Last edited:

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I'm in Cali, and it's cast and adapts to OEM very well. It's going to happen, maybe an install next year...

But, OP wants build options to hit 650+hp, Daily.

Does that mean this is a Hwy car or a stoplight runner?
Gotta choose the right turbo for the situation, everything else falls into place from there.
Nonetheless, having a built block (+1) and supporting fuel mods is a must.

So what is the smallest turbo capable of 650whp that can run pump gas and may use methanol injection to reasonably reach that number?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
thedave925;1626174 said:
I'm in Cali, and it's cast and adapts to OEM very well. It's going to happen, maybe an install next year...

But, OP wants build options to hit 650+hp, Daily.

Does that mean this is a Hwy car or a stoplight runner?
Gotta choose the right turbo for the situation, everything else falls into place from there.
Nonetheless, having a built block (+1) and supporting fuel mods is a must.

So what is the smallest turbo capable of 650whp that can run pump gas and may use methanol injection to reasonably reach that number?
Sounds like a minimum of a 67mm compressor wheel.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Yea I agree. We'll need to decide what he wants out of the car and research a little more before we decide on anything. Thanks, its all good advice. Hopefully we'll get some pictures up soon.
________
Live Sex

Last edited:

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
JohnRardin;1626020 said:
Thanks. Yea Im sure 1500hp is totally unrealistic but I doubt we'll ever see half that so it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone know where to get a good quality FFIM for cheap? Any east coast shops around with 7m experience?

This post ALMOST contradicts what you said earlier. With the money he has spent and is still gonna spend Just go Ahead and get the full custom FFIM and exhaust mani from Sethron. Or go with Ron's. Either way your gonna get what you pay for. I am also kinda curious how old you guys are?

Air in, Air out, fuel, lube and cooling, Then all this is worthless without traction and a tune.

AND ONE MORE THING......
:ttiwwp:

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
VooDoo;1628347 said:
This post ALMOST contradicts what you said earlier. With the money he has spent and is still gonna spend Just go Ahead and get the full custom FFIM and exhaust mani from Sethron. Or go with Ron's. Either way your gonna get what you pay for. I am also kinda curious how old you guys are?

Air in, Air out, fuel, lube and cooling, Then all this is worthless without traction and a tune.

AND ONE MORE THING......
:ttiwwp:

Braking, suspension, what's the fuel kit include? The more info on all internals the easier we can help. Take a look at my build first page has my parts list and I'm still missing stuff lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Yea, I'm sure once my buddy drives this beast, he'll realize that it needs suspension and brake upgrades. I doubt he'll spare any expense. The fuel kit came from Suprastore.com and is just like their $2000 2jz kit but for the 7M. From what I understand it has twin walbros, the hanger, braided lines, 880cc (i think) injectors, filter, and fuel rail all ready to go. It should be good for more power than we'll be making. As far as the forged internals I really need to find out more about the specifics. I dunno why they'd use forged everything except pistons. Kinda weird. Oh also I'm afraid it may have a 3.0mm HKS MHG and it thats true we'll probably have to go with a 2.0mm stopper MHG. He's interested in possibly doing the full bore and stroke kit but after some research it doesn't sound very reliable. Anyone know someone who did this and recommends it?

Oh I finally got my Supra on the road today after like 14 months of sitting. Of coarse, it needed a new battery so I changed that. I had an oil leak from a poorly clamped hose that took me forever to fix though. It poured out almost all the oil! I was so scared it may have locked up but everything seems to be okay. It only ran long enough to see that it was leaking so I'm praying no damage was done. Somehow the gasket/sealant around my thermostat is leaking and it sprayed water the whenever the RMPs rose. Luckily I didn't have to go far and it never even reached normal temp. Fluidynes are amazing! It barely heated up at all even with low coolant. Its kinda annoying that I'm having cooling system issues considering I replaced the ENTIRE cooling system right before I parked it.

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

VooDoo;1628347 said:

I'm 24, my friends 20 I think. I've had my Supra for 8 years now but he's a complete newb to Supras. Haha don't worry, obviously we're gunna have to tune. We're going to Adrenalin Autoworks in Richmond to dyno. I think its $450 no matter how long it takes which is good. It'll probably take a long time considering he's gotta install and tune the new AEM EMS and whatever turbo he ends up going with and hopefully a FFIM. He's thinking of doing a full rebuild beforehand so it can all be balanced and blueprinted and won't have to tune much again. After he finishes what's planned for it, there really won't be any other big upgrades left. All these expensive plans and he still hasn't gotten to even drive it yet! He's in for a surprise.
________
KID WELLBUTRIN

Last edited:

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
I would really open everything up and verify the parts. 3k is very little to pay for what this car came with, hate to see you disappointed when it all goes down in flames because the previous owner skimped on something or made some false claims. all i can say is check and double check the machine work and never assume unless you have the time and money to do the repairs. Also if your dead set on putting down 650 or more do plenty of research and talk to the guys who are already doing it, never know what hassle or money you might save yourself.