7m-gte auto trans ?

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
I am about do buy a motor and trans for my 88 N/A Supra. I am going to buy a 7M-GTE and I am keeping it Auto.

My ?'s are..........

IS the turbo auto trans the same for N/A or r they diffrent.

What is the MAX hp the stock trans can hold WITHOUT ANY MODS.

aND is it possible to swap the 93+ auto trans to the 7m motor and what all goes into that.

O and one more thing, is it just a take the old motor out and new turbo one in swap or is there other things I should get for the car b4 I can do a swap.

THanks Lienhop

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Different trannys - the GTE version has additional clutch plates.

300-350 HP depending on condition of the tranny - some get reliabile operation with more HP, some less. The NA version will be on the "less side".

Can't swap the Mk V auto tranny in without very extensive mods.

Read the NA to Turbo FAQ in the NA Tech section.

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
I looked there but there is not a lot about the auto trans. I just want to do the swap, and was gona get it from tiger japan. My other ? other than the ones u answered are if I need to get anything else other than the trans and motor?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jdub;1461048 said:
Read the NA to Turbo FAQ in the NA Tech section.

Vs doing a rehash here - take the time to read it, twice ;)

BTW - any further swap questions belong in the NA Tech section, not in the GTE Tech section where this thread is.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Is there a way to tell which transmission is which from the outside, since both are a a340e? I've always wondered. And will a N/A auto tranny last as long as a turbo one in a turbo supra (asking for stock power and for ~300bhp)?

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
5 speed swap would be cheaper and more reliable for your power goals let alone more fun to drive (im assuming your modding the engine). I'm thinking once you get that tranny, it will need a rebuild or if not soon and if your looking at 300whp, it should be upgraded as well. I was around 320hp(bpu) and man did that thing suck. (it also had 115k miles on it)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
livinasask8er;1461533 said:
Is there a way to tell which transmission is which from the outside, since both are a a340e? I've always wondered. And will a N/A auto tranny last as long as a turbo one in a turbo supra (asking for stock power and for ~300bhp)?

Think about this - would Toyota go to the trouble/expense of adding additional clutch plates to the turbo 340E just for grins? Might be for the same reason Toyota used a R-154 in the turbo vs a W-58 in the NA.

I do not know of a way to ID a turbo 340E tranny from the outside...maybe someone else has an answer for this one.

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
+1 for keeping it auto though...expensive to use with high HP...but can't beat the difference in boost loss when vs. a manual.

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
Yblegal91t;1461652 said:
5 speed swap would be cheaper and more reliable for your power goals let alone more fun to drive (im assuming your modding the engine). I'm thinking once you get that tranny, it will need a rebuild or if not soon and if your looking at 300whp, it should be upgraded as well. I was around 320hp(bpu) and man did that thing suck. (it also had 115k miles on it)

I have an automatic supra now, ur telling me it would be cheaper to swap a 5 speed into it than to build the auto trans

Lienhop Photo

Aug 3, 2009
Wilmington NC
Yblegal91t;1461652 said:

R u running a th400, how is that treating u?? Was considering it and I am looking at more than 300whp

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I sent my auto to IPT for the build:
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

Cost me almost $3K a couple years ago...you can get it done cheaper, but you will get what you pay for ;)

Bottom line, yes, a R-154 swap is much cheaper. Fun to drive? Meh. I'll smoke just about any manual tranny out there...I don't lose boost during the shifts ;)

VooDoo

Draggin ass on his build
Mar 20, 2008
Valdosta ,Ga
I was gonna go with IPT. After researching it seemed there stuff was HIGH quality and worth the money IF your wanting to stay toyota.. I personally opted for the th350. I would spend the extra and keep the auto. Like jdub said no boost loss. Better if faster 1/4 is the goal. There is a thread about modding the stocker if that is an option your looking at. Just have to do a search.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
jdub;1461653 said:
Think about this - would Toyota go to the trouble/expense of adding additional clutch plates to the turbo 340E just for grins? Might be for the same reason Toyota used a R-154 in the turbo vs a W-58 in the NA.

I do not know of a way to ID a turbo 340E tranny from the outside...maybe someone else has an answer for this one.

Lol true. I guess I was thinking that because I heard that toyota made a ma70 chassis and a ma71 chassis and put the turbo powertrain in some of the n/a chassis because they were similar enough (btw is there any truth to that?).

Anyways I thought- hoped that the difference in the transmissions was minimal enough (considering the two labled the same) when I replaced the auto tranny in my 91 supra with one from a cressida. That was a while back though, and now I know better, thanks!

kracin

Sleeper
Apr 1, 2007
aiea hawaii
had a stock a340e in my cress pushing around 400 daily on it for years. then switched it out for a built a340e from level 10 transmissions... havent had a chance to really push i thard though so i cant tell you about the new ones reliability, but it definately shifts hard. losing traction during gear shifts in an auto is crazy lol.