7M - GT35r turbo oil & water lines?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I've been searching, but can't seem to find this info. I'm assembling the parts I'll need to install my GT series turbo, and I'm trying to find out all the sizes of the water and oil line fittings. I've got the specs for the turbo, and it looks like I'll need the Arizona Perf. 7M -10 oil return fitting.
- But what are the sizes of the 7M's oil outlet, and water line inlets/outlets? Suggested AN line size?
- Anything I should know about placement for proper water flow?
- I've heard that the oil lines need to be pretty much vertical give or take 20 degrees, with drain on bottom? (I will run a restrictor. I'm surprised I couldn't find any of this info on the Garrett website!)
- what's the best T4 gasket material? copper? composite? vendors? I don't want any chance of leaks.

Due to my turbine housing, I'll probably have to build a hard pipe welded to a GT drain flange, then welded to an AN fitting.
- Where could I buy a weldable AN fitting?
- Should this drain pipe be stainless? What size?
- To bend the pipe, is it just a matter of heating it?
example:
dlgateway.php

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
There is a thread in the "how to" or what ever its called section. Most threads are metric some fine pitch but all available from earls

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i dont remember the sizes off the top of my head, but once you find out all the sizes... suprasport makes custom lines and they are great quality.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
For the water line to the top water neck, it appears that it would be the highest point in the cooling system(see pic below). Isn't it important to keep lower than the top of the radiator to avoid trapped air? Any reason why I couldn't just tap a new npt fitting into the side of the housing where that flat spot is? Also, what sealant are you guys using for these block fittings? Teflon tape?

p1279504_1.jpg

Last edited:

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey I am looking into all these lines myself right now. Arizona Performance on the forums makes nice flanges for the oil return to block, oil return turbo out, oil inlet on the turbo. I use Lock-tite thread sealant which is oil and water resistant, but teflon tape would work I guess. As for the highest point question as long as you bled the system there you should have problem, but I will be putting mine lower.

HTH,
Seth

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
sethron71;1279630 said:
Hey I am looking into all these lines myself right now. Arizona Performance on the forums makes nice flanges for the oil return to block, oil return turbo out, oil inlet on the turbo. I use Lock-tite thread sealant which is oil and water resistant, but teflon tape would work I guess. As for the highest point question as long as you bled the system there you should have problem, but I will be putting mine lower.

HTH,
Seth

Agreed, best thread sealant, IMO.

http://www.ellsworth.com/imagelibrary/jpegs/400/LargePics/56747.jpg

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Just to clarify something: You do not want to use any type of sealant on AN fitting threads...the AZ Performance fittings are a single piece flange/AN fitting. The flange side will require a gasket. On other NPT/metric fluid fittings is ok to use a sealant. Copper crush washers will not work on the block oil feed (it's BPT) or any other metric/NPT type threaded fitting.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
tekdeus;1279504 said:
For the water line to the top water neck, it appears that it would be the highest point in the cooling system(see pic below).

Hey Tek, you wouldnt happen to know the size of that AN adapter thats feeds out of the water neck, to the line would ja?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Thanks Jdub. I assume that the GT35 water inlets are not flare fittings if they are suggesting to use crush washers? Do most people still just use thread sealant on these?

TheNewRed;1284672 said:
Hey Tek, you wouldnt happen to know the size of that AN adapter thats feeds out of the water neck, to the line would ja?
It's in here: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39687 but I plan to tap a new hole in the empty flat spot on the water neck.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
tekdeus;1284815 said:
Do you guys suggest an inline oil filter for ball bearing turbos? Is the oil from the block feed line already filtered by the engine oil filter?

It shouldn't be needed. Run a good oil filter and the oil should be clean. If not you're ruining your engine as well.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
tekdeus;1284815 said:
Do you guys suggest an inline oil filter for ball bearing turbos? Is the oil from the block feed line already filtered by the engine oil filter?

The turbo oil feed is off the same channel as the bearing, squirters, etc...it is filtered. However, a BB turbo is very intolerant of particles in the oil. It is a very good idea to run an in-line filter.

tissimo;1284869 said:
It shouldn't be needed. Run a good oil filter and the oil should be clean. If not you're ruining your engine as well.

Unless the filter goes into bypass ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
tekdeus;1284815 said:

I would definitely run an in line filter to the turbo. drjonez lost his GT35r due to particles in his oil. :(

They're relatively cheap, and easy to fit. It's good insurance, either way.