7m exhaust manifold HKS ? or port stock ?

LPC

May 20, 2010
Rose Bay - Sydney
Hey Guys,

I am after a little more information on the above. Have removed the exhaust manifold on my 7mgte due to a previous owner stripping the nut that connects the oil return line back to the block, but that really is another story...

Now that the stock manifold is off, I am wondering if it would be a good performance upgrade. Now there is no question about it, I am, and always will be running a ct26. I have searched for quiet a bit of time today, and found that HKS did a cast exhaust manifold for the 7mgte, however, want to know if it is only for a t4 stud pattern, or if they did one for the ct26 stud pattern ? Failing this, could I use a t4 to ct26 adapter ?

OR, would be be worth porting out the stock manifold ?

Your input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Jon.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
As far as I've seen hks only made the cast longrunner manifold for t4s.

And I really don't see any reason porting the exhaust manifold as it's already pretty well gasket matched.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I've heard from several people you can get decent gains from it. If you look inside a stock manifold, there are huge lumps where the studs for the heat shields sit. You can also take a lot of the meat out of the divider.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Removing the lumps where the studs are can induce leaks.

If you're only running the CT-26, the manifold is not the bottleneck in the system, the turbo is. People have run bolt-on turbos over 500HP on the stock manifold.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Poodles;1756135 said:
If you're only running the CT-26, the manifold is not the bottleneck in the system, the turbo is. People have run bolt-on turbos over 500HP on the stock manifold.
This.

The stock manifold isn't a the problem. If you want to change to a different turbo, then choose the turbo first, then choose the manifold to suit. Don't rule out "bolt-on" turbos just because they use the stock manifold though, it's really not a problem.

mk3_7m

Jul 21, 2007
melbourne
^ I reckon it would probably do the opposite and lose some low-end since you making more space to be filled in.

Not like it would make a noticable difference.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Shit, all of my pictures don't work. They might've been on his photobucket account, unless mine got deleted. He might've emailed them to me, lemme see if I have them anywhere, theres a good picture of the inside...

Last I checked he doesn't work at that machine shop anymore, although he still might know the owner(s). I think it cost $250 for the porting and ceramic coat together (package deal), I'm pretty sure it wasn't over $300. Difference in top end power on that dyno graph is because I put in a boost controller, but spool time wasn't affected (did a run with BC off on wastegate spring pressure).

edit: Kidding, he sent me those links and I pasted them into the thread. The ones that work are the only ones that I have =\ One of them shows the smooth ports though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
You can only get a couple of inches in from either end so it's a waste of time and effort...

Look into "Extrude Honing" if you're at all serious about porting a stock manifold to get some real gains.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SideWinderGX;1756786 said:
He got very nearly all the way to the center on that manifold, and I'm happy with the results :shrug:

Can't see how you could do it with any degree of accuracy/surface finish, there are a bunch of spots from memory you can't get to at all, at least with Power Porting (extrude hone) it's a uniform material removal from one flange right through to the other.