7in Tablet in place of the head unit

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
This is what Dustin has been working on. I prefer it personally thats just me. Especially when I started looking into obdii bluetooth adapters. My Proefi uses CAN hi and lo wires to hook up displays. Figured I can hook it up to a obdii plug, buy that bluetooth adapter then Program my gauges in the PID setup so I can have gauge feedback from my Proefi ECU also on the tablet. bonus for me. PLus Id get the 4g lte version from verizon so I can have internet anytime I wanted it. Again, just a nice preference.
p1904512_1.jpg

Gauge setup:
p1904512_2.jpg

Changing skins around for personalized look:
p1904512_3.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i still remember the craze were people were putting there desk top computers in there cars and hooking it up to lcd screen and have mini mouse and key bord or makeing it touch screen

think grim jack came close

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
NashMan;1904542 said:
i still remember the craze were people were putting there desk top computers in there cars and hooking it up to lcd screen and have mini mouse and key bord or makeing it touch screen

think grim jack came close

people still do lol

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I read mention of using glue, metal brackets, duct tape, screws, nails, etc. to mount a tablet. Smh. There are mounting solutions that are clean, very simple, and inexpensive, with little to no fabrication involved.
Doat;1904027 said:
I was thinking about installing a 7in tablet to replace the head unit, have it plugged in like route the power cable behind the dash to the cigarette lighter so I can possibly charge things with a car charger at the same time as charging the tablet or will that be overloading the cig lighter? Anyway, I need some help on figuring out a mounting system that is as clean as possible and holds the tablet very sturdily. I want to use it as my GPS, radio, MP3 player, movie player, etc. I will also have a cable run out through the glove box or something so I can add things to it like transfer movies and songs through a usb drive or something like that. The tablet I have in mind is the Galaxy Tab T849, I am more worried about the mounting rather than the wiring because worst case I just run the cable from behind the dash and stick out into the car charger if I can't wire it up to the wires directly. Also would it be possible to have it turn on with the ignition instead of having to manually turn it on and off?

Have you accomplished the implementation of a tablet into your stereo system? If you have, how did you do it?

I will be integrating a tablet to my stereo wirelessly, without wiring and installation of an amp. The stock head unit can be retained if desired.

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have sort of abandoned this project for now I have bigger issues at hand. That head unit looks perfect for me hex.amilli thanks

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Doat;2039172 said:
I came across this android double din unit and seems great my only problem with double din screen units is the resolution looks like crap but this one looks pretty crisp and it doesn't seem sluggish or anything at all.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/News...eral-Android-only-without-DVD/2035002543.html

These China brand units often looks appealing, but they also, often, turn out to be low quality. I have considered them...but decided to look past them. So I am going to use a Samsung tablet. The tablet is a much better solution than an Android head unit. Aside from having a DVD player, the tablet can accomplish all that an Android head unit and a lot more.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
The best thing to do it to create your own backgound that has the areas you want to touch to open apps. Then you can download another app that lets you build custom widgets that will open the app. From there you can assign a transparent .png as the widget and overlay it on the part of the background that you want. This is old but you can see how I did it. Granted having text and chrome and other apps are useless when driving but just needed something to fill design at the time. http://youtu.be/mdooHFRk5c4

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Thanks for sharing the video. your interface looks good. You mentioned a name of Internet service provider, Apps, etc. I couldnt make out the names. What are the names?

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Desktop visualizer does the custom widgets.
Foxfi used to do the data transfer between the phone for data but android 4.0+ has stopped that.
Image to wallpaper app helped keep the proportion of the background when applying it
Tablet talk connects the phone to the tablet for calls. This app cost money
Navfree usa was the free gps software.
I then used a volume widget for volume control.
For transmitting the sound to the stereo you can get one of those cheap headunits without the cd player. Or if you have a amp you can use a headphone jack to rca plug as the amp input. Hope this helps!

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
gurley0916;2039214 said:
Desktop visualizer does the custom widgets.
Foxfi used to do the data transfer between the phone for data but android 4.0+ has stopped that.
Image to wallpaper app helped keep the proportion of the background when applying it
Tablet talk connects the phone to the tablet for calls. This app cost money
Navfree usa was the free gps software.
I then used a volume widget for volume control.
For transmitting the sound to the stereo you can get one of those cheap headunits without the cd player. Or if you have a amp you can use a headphone jack to rca plug as the amp input. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info. I am curious as to how people are using their tablets with their car.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I still have a radio in my car. I havent done any customization on my tablet. All the resources I need came factory installed in my Samsung Tab4.

This is how how I use my Samsung tablet with the car:

Sound: connects to the stereo system through bluetooth
Internet: uses my Samsung S4 phone as a hotspot
Navigation: Google maps
Phone calls: made through voice over ip Using Facebook messenger app or Google plus

Whether I choose to use my tab4, S4, (or even IPad) in the car, I use the same resources above that are on the respective device

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have a plan if I go with mounting a tablet that I would get a very large SD card to load TV shows and a few movies onto mainly stuff that I've seen multiple times but are just staples in any collection that I can listen to and it would be the same as if I were watching it. Stuff like Simpsons, Seinfeld, etc. it would be great for road trips instead of just listening to music the entire way you can "watch" some shows lol. My main concern with stuff like this is the resolution and picture quality and smoothness of the apps and transitions and such I want it to be very smooth, responsive, and look great and crisp. My gripe with most screen units is the resolution is crap, the app layout and image quality is crap, and they are not very responsive and when you open an app or menu or whatever it's not very quick to load. That is the reason why I wanted to use an android tablet also I can install a custom ROM on it made for performance or something, so it is very quick, light, and has great customization. Also very easy to customize the quality of app images, layouts, have some sort of sleep mode when the car is off, etc. I can literally make it how I want it to be and tablets now days have amazing image quality and resolution. The hardest part for me is mounting it so it looks very clean and wiring it so it basically always plugged in and comes on when I turn the ignition or have it automatically sleep when there is no more power going to it (i.e. when the key is in the off position).

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Doat;2039233 said:
I have a plan if I go with mounting a tablet that I would get a very large SD card to load TV shows and a few movies onto mainly stuff that I've seen multiple times but are just staples in any collection that I can listen to and it would be the same as if I were watching it. Stuff like Simpsons, Seinfeld, etc. it would be great for road trips instead of just listening to music the entire way you can "watch" some shows lol. My main concern with stuff like this is the resolution and picture quality and smoothness of the apps and transitions and such I want it to be very smooth, responsive, and look great and crisp. My gripe with most screen units is the resolution is crap, the app layout and image quality is crap, and they are not very responsive and when you open an app or menu or whatever it's not very quick to load. That is the reason why I wanted to use an android tablet also I can install a custom ROM on it made for performance or something, so it is very quick, light, and has great customization. Also very easy to customize the quality of app images, layouts, have some sort of sleep mode when the car is off, etc. I can literally make it how I want it to be and tablets now days have amazing image quality and resolution. The hardest part for me is mounting it so it looks very clean and wiring it so it basically always plugged in and comes on when I turn the ignition or have it automatically sleep when there is no more power going to it (i.e. when the key is in the off position).

A clean tablet install ought to be easy. The double din hole fits a 7" well.

Wiring is also an easy task. Check out the components used by this guy
http://youtu.be/t78bBJ8Bafg

As far as your power on/ off needs, here you go:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.as.powerchecker

Last edited: