750rwhp carnage

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
first i stretched a stock t-belt, next i ripped 5 teeth off a new t- belt so i replaced it with a gates. Now this... this is all that is left of my oil pump drive shaft pulley. I think with the low belt deflection it may put too much stress on the shaft

Attachments

• IMG00020..jpg
    IMG00020..jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 333

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Seen a few of these that have exploded like that, quite often the slightest nick/mark on a spoke during assembly is enough to set it off as the pully is "sintered".

Pulling teeth off the timing belt is a concern what valve springs?

Are you preloading the timing belt on install, also what torque on the tensioner?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
ok i thought i was the only one. Quite possible with a nick as it was original. Valve springs are com cam bbc springs so not crazy tension. Preload was slightly past spring tension, and stock tq on the tensioner.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
A lot of times when poeople torque the Pully bolt they use a tool in by a spoke to the timing case and causes a "cut along dotted line" stress riser :(
(seen a bunch of these over the years so you're NOT the lone ranger this time Q)

I replace the tensioner spring each build and don't preload, can't see the Comp springs shearing teeth so something else is going on there (what's the seat pressure at installed height?)

Dumb question but is the lower pully facing the right way?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
i have a strap wrench that i use it is like leather, it goes around the gear like a chain wrench so no damage. All sprokets were assembled properly, but the crank bolt was not that tight anymore was at the factory spec when installed and had thread lock on it. Was thinking maybe harmonics as it is a stock crank pully?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Was thinking more of before you got it damage..

Measure the snout on the crank and make sure it's not tapered (might have had a wobbly crank at some time in it's past)

Stock Damper is pretty useless at that HP level, even the off the shelf ATI isn't going to cut it for long you'd need one like Duane's special order unit.

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
quake;1554690 said:
first i stretched a stock t-belt, next i ripped 5 teeth off a new t- belt so i replaced it with a gates. Now this... this is all that is left of my oil pump drive shaft pulley. I think with the low belt deflection it may put too much stress on the shaft

this is how i got my first supra..the guy said he heard clunk clunk, lost oil pressure and the car wouldt start. 200$ and then 150 in parts and had a runnin 1991 targa 5 speed turbo mk3

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
i may pull it and use my spare crank, also i was lazy about the ati but after speaking with them about a custom pulley i was not impressed. I may also have a custom sproket made.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
so here is the plan.. on monday i wll pull the motor pull the crank and have my spare machined and balanced while i wait. Then go back to work and reassemble if all goes well it should be ready to start the same day.:icon_bigg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
quake;1554734 said:
i may pull it and use my spare crank, also i was lazy about the ati but after speaking with them about a custom pulley i was not impressed. I may also have a custom sproket made.

Since I had my custom ATI pulley made, they still have the drawings therefore should cost you less than what I paid. ;) You have to pay to play Q!

Duane

SupraJerry

Banned
Jun 23, 2009
Kilgore
toyotanos;1555257 said:
You may consider trying a 5M oil pump drive pulley. They are not the "5-spoke" style that the 7M's use, they have 6 holes drilled into them so there is more material for it to hold together.

Won't work, different belt tooth profile......

I've seen a custom aluminum oil-pump pulley here somewhere.

Are you running the 6M crank by chance ?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
upgradedsupra;1555247 said:
Since I had my custom ATI pulley made, they still have the drawings therefore should cost you less than what I paid. ;) You have to pay to play Q!

Duane

i don't care what it cost but the guy i spoke with back when did not seem very informed when i spoke with them about a custom pulley.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

thanks for the help guys. A vendor should pick up on this and make one Hint Hint

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
SupraJerry;1555268 said:
Won't work, different belt tooth profile......

I've seen a custom aluminum oil-pump pulley here somewhere.

Are you running the 6M crank by chance ?

that is incorrect and half ture the 84 85 are the same that's when they changed the belt to the same profile as 6m and 7m

i found that out with mk2 motor swap i used a 83 motor in 85 car and only had an 85 t belt so i had to swap the pulleys over and stuff

so if ti has knock sensor that is the one with the proper pulley

i might just swap to this now if i can find one

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
upgradedsupra;1555247 said:

Duane

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you, and how many belts do you run?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
There are many high HP 7M's running with heavy valve springs that aren't killing the AUX pulley, I still say at some time in its past someone has marked nicked a spoke during install and being a sintered part it's a fail point, buy a new stock pulley deburr it carefully and install it exactly as Q described earlier in this thread and it will be fine..