7.5 amp gauge fuse blowing

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers to help figure this out. This problem just started happening last night. I have no power to the temp, oil pressure, volt meter or my windows. I do not have a short in either of my doors or my gauge cluster, I disconnected both door wiring harnesses and pulled the gauge cluster out. The fuse still pops instantly, I was looking for the ground point for this circuit but all it says is J/B set bolt no 1 in the TSRM. Is that Junction box set bolt?

thanks.
-Jesse

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Check your main harness in the EGR area...mine got melted through and shorted out there, popping the gauge fuse just like you.

If that is not it (a ground won't be either), plug a 12V light bulb into the gauge fuse holder and start tracing (+) wires...if it goes bright, you found it.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
jdub;1372468 said:
Check your main harness in the EGR area...mine got melted through and shorted out there, popping the gauge fuse just like you.

If that is not it (a ground won't be either), plug a 12V light bulb into the gauge fuse holder and start tracing (+) wires...if it goes bright, you found it.
yea, I just read through your thread jdub, When i went thought my harness by hand last winter tracing every wire and continuity checked every single one. I also heat shrinked it and wrapped it heavily in scotch 33 and rerouted it away from all hot spots, nor do I have a EGR either so I doubt it could be that. I should have stated that in my original post.

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
you didnt happen to have had the reverse switch pulled off lately have you? I had the same situation, and found that the wires at the back up switch was shorted to each other. Fixed that and corrected the problem. You can try checking that

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
charman02;1372494 said:
you didnt happen to have had the reverse switch pulled off lately have you? I had the same situation, and found that the wires at the back up switch was shorted to each other. Fixed that and corrected the problem. You can try checking that
yea, thats the one thing I haven't looked at yet so I'm going to check that here shortly.