6 speed manual into mk3

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
No idea, but spend the extra on a shaftmaster's aluminum one-piece to eliminate the two-piece stocker. It's hell when it breaks. Plus you'll lighten your driveline. Also make sure to get the clutch you want off the bat too, because you'll want to turn that boost up more once it runs right.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
Nghty89;1582914 said:
No idea, but spend the extra on a shaftmaster's aluminum one-piece to eliminate the two-piece stocker. It's hell when it breaks. Plus you'll lighten your driveline. Also make sure to get the clutch you want off the bat too, because you'll want to turn that boost up more once it runs right.

Yup thank you for all the advice just saving up the money before i can do this lol

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
droopdude11;1582934 said:
Yup thank you for all the advice just saving up the money before i can do this lol

Not a problem, glad to help out. I have a build thread for my first one, it may help. I will be making a second build thread once I actually complete this 2jz motor. You should be able to do the whole swap with $4000, and that's including buying many things brand new and doing the labor yourself. You may be able to get easily below that, or you may end up above it. It all depends on your parts/preferrences and what you have already. Make sure to size your turbo properly as well so you don't go too large or small. It will make a world of difference in driveability.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
Nghty89;1583014 said:
Not a problem, glad to help out. I have a build thread for my first one, it may help. I will be making a second build thread once I actually complete this 2jz motor. You should be able to do the whole swap with $4000, and that's including buying many things brand new and doing the labor yourself. You may be able to get easily below that, or you may end up above it. It all depends on your parts/preferrences and what you have already. Make sure to size your turbo properly as well so you don't go too large or small. It will make a world of difference in driveability.

Oh yup i plan on buying pieces over the next like 6 months and doing all the labor myself. What size turbo would you think is best for power and also driveability and this is with stock internal i believe but i might end up rebuilding. About how long did it take you to do the swap?

SeanMcCabe

May 29, 2008
Arizona
As long as your goals are not crazy high (like 700hp) you should be fine on stock internals. The 2j has a bullet proof bottom end. As for which turbo, it all depends on what your goals are and how much you want to spend on supporting mods.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
SeanMcCabe;1583057 said:
As long as your goals are not crazy high (like 700hp) you should be fine on stock internals. The 2j has a bullet proof bottom end. As for which turbo, it all depends on what your goals are and how much you want to spend on supporting mods.

oh yup well to achieve something like 500 hp what do you think i should get?

SeanMcCabe

May 29, 2008
Arizona
You'll want to go standalone on that. Supporting fuel mods (injectors, rail, pumps), cams, and as for the turbo, I haven't really looked at whats come out in the past 6 months or so. But I know Driftmotion sells a 67mm turbo that will get you to 500hp and reliably. They may even have the entire kit with that turbo for the 2j.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
SeanMcCabe;1583115 said:
You'll want to go standalone on that. Supporting fuel mods (injectors, rail, pumps), cams, and as for the turbo, I haven't really looked at whats come out in the past 6 months or so. But I know Driftmotion sells a 67mm turbo that will get you to 500hp and reliably. They may even have the entire kit with that turbo for the 2j.

yup thanks for the advice

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
droopdude11;1582670 said:
So what should i do to not be shifting like crazy?

To answer your question here, go with a 3.73 differential, from the 89-92 turbos. At ~400hp you're gonna need about 12-14 seconds to run through the first three gears, at least on a 1jz... 2j I can't really say. I shift at around 7k, gets me up to ~110mph. If you you really think that's shifting too often, you may want to look into bigger rear tires to squeeze out a few more mph, or a custom differential gear.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
te72;1583294 said:
To answer your question here, go with a 3.73 differential, from the 89-92 turbos. At ~400hp you're gonna need about 12-14 seconds to run through the first three gears, at least on a 1jz... 2j I can't really say. I shift at around 7k, gets me up to ~110mph. If you you really think that's shifting too often, you may want to look into bigger rear tires to squeeze out a few more mph, or a custom differential gear.

oh no that not i was just trying to prevent what other people say would happen

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
IJ.;1583494 said:
1st gear and possibly 2nd are going to be near useless even with a 3.73:1 Diff and a v160.

It gets going quite nicely Ian. I've done the V160 on to IS300's and those come with a 3.90 rear end. Acceleration is amazing and the gears are still usable. V160 with a 3.73 is nice also. : )

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
To the previous questions regarding the turbo size, just do your research and map out a few compressor charts. I have an excel file I am creating that will give you most of the information you need, I'll post it when it is ready.

The 2jz spools very nicely, but I also plan on running a solid 9:1 compression ratio. Stock internals are perfectly fine for anything under 600whp. Just make sure you have the necessary supporting mods. You should not need a standalone to reach 500hp, just the basic piggy-backs. But a standalone is nice for the tunability and control.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
Yeah sounds good ill take alook at that file as soon as its up
And thank you

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Yeah sounds good ill take alook at that file as soon as its up
And thank you