6 speed manual into mk3

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
i plan on swapping my 7m for a 2jz in my 87 mk3. What is the actual benefit in having the 6speed over the 5 speed. If i go with a 5speed will i need to change the differential at all? Will the 5speed i have now work with the 2jz or do i need to go with a 2jz 5speed?

Thank you in advance for any information

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your talking about the v160 then you will need to bang the tunnel and make a custom mount and drive shaft. Also the mk4 diff ratio is something like a 3.21 or something, which i think jaws gears could only get the mk3 diff down to something like 3.57 or something, so basically your going to be shifting non stop.

Both 5 speeds will hold for stock 2jz's, but once you start upping the power make sure you got a r154.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
Why do i want to go with the r154 if i am upping power? Can i get the differential from the mk4 or maybe the mk3 how do i fix that problem?

thank you

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
Really, dude? A bit of searching and common sense go a long way, but here you go: The r154 can handle more power than the w58, the mk4 diff would require fabrication and custom axles, along w/a custom shaft, and that guy was (I'm pretty sure) saying that gears for the mk3 can't be found in ratios relative to the mk4, so it would be kind of impractical from that standpoint. A v160, accessories, and fab work costs big money. If your pockets are that deep, just drop it off somewhere and let them worry about these questions, otherwise keep it simple and you might be able to drive your car at somepoint in the near future.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
IMO, the V160 is pointless for several reasons.. unless you have a bunch of money you feel like wasting.

If I wanted to go 6spd for some reason, it would be a T56.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
So what is the most practical transmission to with i want the 2jz but the 6speed trans isnt that big of deal to me. So what should i do to not be shifting like crazy?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
hvyman;1582550 said:
Both 5 speeds will hold for stock 2jz's, but once you start upping the power make sure you got a r154.

The two five speeds he is talking about are;

W58, found on NA supras, and other NA 5sp 2js
Usually cheeper, most think it shifts better, can hold less power.

R154, found on turbo mkiiis
Slightly more expensive, can hold more power
This trans did not come bolted to any jz engines in the usa, but toyota makes the bellhousing (for other markets), so it is available.

Only you can decide what transmission is for you.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
ok
so for my stock differential on my 87 mkiii will i have to do anything to it with the 2jz and r154
i also heard u can take the bellhousing from the 1jz and use that is that true?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
either buy a U.S. R154 and then a 1J bellhousing.. or get both already together from Japan.

make sure to get a trans that hasn't been abused.. unless you plan to rebuild it.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
4U2QUIK;1582698 said:
/end thread
lol

We have already moved on, from the V160. Thanks for the input.

droopdude11;1582688 said:
ok
so for my stock differential on my 87 mkiii will i have to do anything to it with the 2jz and r154
i also heard u can take the bellhousing from the 1jz and use that is that true?

Your stock diff is in the correct range for the swap (about 4:10). But if you dont have the sport package NA (the sport package had TEMS and LSD) youll be doing one legged burnouts, and likely want to upgrade to LSD after some spirited driving. But normal driving will be fine.
Yes the 1j to R154 bellhousing will work

Last edited:

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
If you are going 2jz in the mkiii, then search. The answers are there. I'm on my second 2jz swap. 1jz bellhousing mates the 2jz block to the R154. Going 6 speed is POINTLESS. The R154 will do everything you need. Just get a one-piece aluminum driveshaft, stick with the stock mkiii turbo LSD, and you'll be happy. Trust me. Plus, you won't have to really worry with the R154 unless you can't drive and abuse it...

I will say though, the R154 mated with the N/A non-lsd rear end is definitely causing me to have to shift sooner and has me revving higher when cruising on the highway. BUT... holy-shit does she pull from 0-60. XD

Although I believe it would pull better once I went turbo LSD and a better sized turbo to allow it to spool. As is I hit 135 way too quick.

A gift from the search fairy:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...T-swap-notes-and-pricelists&highlight=2jzge-t

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?66984-2JZGTE-MKIII-Swap-Info&highlight=2jzge-t

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
mkiiichip;1582715 said:
We have already moved on, from the V160. Thanks for the input.

Your stock diff is in the correct range for the swap (about 4:10). But if you dont have the sport package NA (the sport package had TEMS and LSD) youll be doing one legged burnouts, and likely want to upgrade to LSD after some spirited driving. But normal driving will be fine.
Yes the 1j to R154 bellhousing will work

Oh well i have the 86.5 na if that makes a difference because i know it has the tems and they didnt make the turbo when they produced it so i was wondering if it has the lsd.

SeanMcCabe

May 29, 2008
Arizona
Found this on some forum.

Check your vin for these, and then you'll know.

North American Differential Codes:

G284 = 4.30:1 4-pinion 8.0" N/A Diff (no-LSD, USA Only)
G285 = 4.30:1 4-pinion 8.0" N/A Diff (with-LSD)
G315 = 3.91:1 4-pinion 8.0" pre-89 Turbo Diff (with-LSD)
G305 = 3.73:1 4-pinion 8.0" 89+ Turbo Diff (with-LSD)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Wait, your profile says you already have a W58. If your going to stick with it youll need a new bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch parts.

If your going to upgrade, youll need the above parts plus, transmission, front half of the drive line, clutch slave cyl, and trans crossmember.

EDIT: nm just saw you other thread about trans trouble.

droopdude11

May 19, 2010
Lakewood
mkiiichip;1582837 said:
Wait, your profile says you already have a W58. If your going to stick with it youll need a new bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch parts.

If your going to upgrade, youll need the above parts plus, transmission, front half of the drive line, clutch slave cyl, and trans crossmember.

EDIT: nm just saw you other thread about trans trouble.

yeah i have the w58 but when i go 2jzget im going to have to upgrade it i believe. Any idea what that sqealing is or no?