57 trim ok to run on stock setup?

Jun 5, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
berniek;1341487 said:
I run a 57 trim CT26, 36 PSI fuel pressure at idle (with vacuum), Lex with the stock screw about half way out, and have no problems at all. Mixture richens up under boost to between 9.5 and just under 11:1, and the engine runs like a dream at light load. Also have 3" high flow single cat exhaust, larger intercooler and hardpipes (made little difference) and a Walbro fuel pump.

BernieK

That seems very rich for boost. You're going to want to trim some fuel out of that...

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
i dont think if you're running a 57 on pretty much stock boost that u need some of the mods you have cuz it seems like ur a lil rich. unless u get something to tune with. My plan is to run the 57tim with 550s, a mapecu2 to eliminate fuel cut, use as a boost controller, tune and get rid of the afm, exhuast and intake. Forr my power goals, I think thats all i would need.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
welllllll this is what happened:

runs fine, boosts fine, no fuel cut. only hitting about 6-7psi though (stock boost gauge). boost comes in insanely late too.. 3500-4000 rpm! slow as piss. i was topping out the stock boost gauge when i had my regular ct26 on the engine and it was MUCH faster. going through the gears and climbing rpm im like rocking back and forth all, 'come on, come on!' but it just doesnt feel very strong at all, especially compared to how it felt before i upgraded the turbo. it must be washer time...

you think i could have leaks in the system though? keeping me from hitting higher boost levels? car isnt doing ANYTHING funny at all. no misses, no breaking up.. runs like a dream which says to me that i have no boost leaks. im gonna go back over the whole system tonight and make sure nothing is leaking, but im pretty sure its all sealed up. my buddy is gonna give me an autometer boost gauge so ill soon see how many psi im actually boosting, but either way, the needle is where it was at WOT when i FIRST got the car now, with no upgrades.

im running a brand new 7m top to bottom, ebay intercooler kit with 2.5" piping (the ugly one haha) 3" open dp right now, apex-i intake, solid aluminum mounts, stage 3 f1 racing clutch (6 puck copper ceramic) with stock 'heat treated' pressure plate, godspeed aluminum radiator, and i just reinstalled power steering. come to think of it, power steering might be dragging me down again.. i would HOPE that the difference wouldnt be THAT noticeable with ps vs. without ps.

what do you guys think?

aaron

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
ft413;1337473 said:
your going to notice a power difference with the 57 trim. it will be wort it in the end too if your shooting for around 400hp. with the supporting mods
(550s,lexus afm,fpr,and a piggy back) 400hp is easliy done.

At what P.S.I.?

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
Koenigturbo;1342610 said:
At what P.S.I.?

i shouldnt say eassssily done. ive seen it on here people are boosting at about 19 psi to get to the 400s. ill tried to find a link

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
find out the issue yet?.. im very interested myself. Im at a similar place.. I have an ebay intercooler with 2 1/2 piping, aftermarket radiator, greddy bov, K&N filter.. and eliminated the a/c.. (i just got the car running for the first time) and im getting a ddp and wanted to see what is NECESSARY to run a 57 trim and what kinda power to expect.. ??

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
looks like were running remarkably similar setups!

nothing was necessary to make the car run right. it swaps right in and runs like a champ... and as the car re-learns from having the battery disconnected, i dont think my car is as slow as i had thought when i first took it out. boosting about 7psi.. it's alright. but the last few days i've taken it out and listened for any strange noises under boost or otherwise (duck call, grass blade whistle noises depicting exhaust leaks) and the car keeps running without anything out of the ordinary happening. i wanted to wait and feel it out before i started messing with it again, but i think im gonna shim my wastegate this week and see what i can do before hitting fuel cut.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
zambini;1343675 said:
looks like were running remarkably similar setups!

nothing was necessary to make the car run right. it swaps right in and runs like a champ... and as the car re-learns from having the battery disconnected, i dont think my car is as slow as i had thought when i first took it out. boosting about 7psi.. it's alright. but the last few days i've taken it out and listened for any strange noises under boost or otherwise (duck call, grass blade whistle noises depicting exhaust leaks) and the car keeps running without anything out of the ordinary happening. i wanted to wait and feel it out before i started messing with it again, but i think im gonna shim my wastegate this week and see what i can do before hitting fuel cut.

Have you fixed all that lag? That would be the first thing I do before raising the boost. Also deffinetly check for boost leaks, the car dosent necesarily have to run like crap at idle to have a boost leak. Diffinetly check your IC pipes and couplers. Also check for any codes.

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
we are!

well thats what your trying to determine right? why the turbos lagging right.. ok so you say it runs like a champ but not as well as before.. then whats the point? lol.. whered u get the turbo rebuilt?

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
well FUCK.

so last week i checked for any boost leaks and didnt find anything. i tightened my t-bolt clamps on all my piping to the point at which i felt uncomfortable going any further. im still boosting about 7 psi max.

SOOOOO today i decided i would shim the wastegate to see how the car felt around 10 psi. i have heard that the car would feel slower than on a stock turbo at stock boost levels, which coincides with my experience here.. so i decided i would put a couple washers in the wastegate. well, i pop off the accordian hose, and out of curiosity just to see how my lil buddy was holding up after about 1-200 miles, i check the shaft play. no in and out, but the damn impeller wheel is scraping the housing the side to side is so bad!! about 150 miles on the damn thing! i prepped the turbo by pouring oil into the oil inlet and rotating the shaft to splash oil on the bearings per the tsrm. before i started the car, i cold cranked it until i got plenty of oil pressure.

WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG?? this SUCKS! i was almost to the point of tears when i discovered this. 500 bucks is hard to come by for me and i just pissed it away like infectious urine. :3d_frown::3d_frown::3d_frown:

edit: forgot to mention that i changed the oil before starting the car with the new turbo. my oil is AMBER COLORED!

however i did a little searching outside of supramania, and some turbos seem to have 'normal' shaft play because the bearings float in oil...? i mean im sure this isnt normal even if some shaft play is, since the wheel is scraping the housing. doesnt appear to be really damaging the blades, since the wheel BARELY touches the housing, but a bit of polishing on the housing from the wheel scraping it is visible where they should not be making contact what so ever. is this part of 'breaking in' a new impeller wheel? i am so smad

WTF!

Last edited:

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
zambini;1351209 said:
brand new rebuilt from driftmotion. theyre a thoroughly reputable shop so i just want to know what I did wrong...

How long ago did you did you purchase the turbo? Contact Driftmotion. Arron should help you out on this.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
thats what im thinking and thats what my friends are telling me.. ive just heard of many people doing really stupid shit and killing turbos very quickly, then immediately blaming the shop that did the work. i want more opinions first before i point fingers... though i've gone through everything a million times today in my head and i really cant see what i've done here to create such a catastrophe. should i pm the dude?

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
you should get in contact with driftmotion because unless you went into the turbo (as in pulling it a part) they should honor their product.. i think you should call them..

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
well i just talked to aaron and i guess im going to be taking my turbo back off and sending it to them so they can check it out. sucks because thats more money for shipping and no guarantee that anything is going to happen in my favor once they recieve it.. but it was a civil conversation and they seemed as if they might be willing to help in some way. shit i hope so.