57 trim ok to run on stock setup?

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my headgasket repair and I found that after removing my stock turbo that it has A LOT of shaft play side to side. So I've pretty mch decided its time for a new turbo while I'm doing the HG. I'm leaning towards getting a 57trim CT26 from driftmotion. However, I need to know if it's ok to run this turbo on a stock setup(i.e. fuel, ecu, afm). I guess my biggest question is even though I don't plan on really turning the boost up for a while will the stock fuel setup be ok for this. I'm not planing anything too crazy for this setup, probably just 10psi with a MBC. I'm new to the turbo scene after having an 89' N/A for a few years, I decided to step up. Thanks for the help.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
As it will run the stock wastegate with the stock spring, yes, it will be fine as boost levels will be the same. It might flow slightly more and increase power a bit, but it's not going to hurt anything and fuel cut is always there to stop engine damage.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Yeah, if you run stock boost levels, you should be OK, but don't raise boost until you get the supporting mods, or fuel cut will be your constant companion.

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
So 10psi with a 57trim on a stock setup minus intake and exhaust wont harm the car? I have been pondering this also but figured it would be a waste of time unless i had other mods i.e. injectors wideband piggybacks.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
I was boosting about nine psi until I replaced my exhaust system, then I started getting fuel cut. Now that I have a 3 inch exhaust, and a new intercooler and pipes, I definitely had to bring boost back to stock levels. I have no fuel cut issues now, even with the upgrades I have, but I do miss the extra boost.

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
your going to notice a power difference with the 57 trim. it will be wort it in the end too if your shooting for around 400hp. with the supporting mods
(550s,lexus afm,fpr,and a piggy back) 400hp is easliy done.

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
damn man i was going to post a thread pretty much identical to this one if i didnt find it via search haha..

i was fretting quite a bit about whether or not i would be constantly hitting fuel cut if i left the wastegate alone on a 57 trim, which will be arriving monday from drift motion.. i have a brand new rebuilt 7m, apex-i intake, 3" downpipe to 2.5" exhaust, and an ebay intercooler kit with 2.5" hardpipes. i've done a lot to the car otherwise, but i guess those are my only bhp adders at this point. the more i read on here, the more i was sure i was going to be unable to avoid hitting fuel cut unless i started down the lex afm, 550, blah blah blah path.

so you guys think if i leave the wastegate alone that itll be ok? i realize its all hypothetical and ill find out in person in a couple days, but its really eating at me.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, as fuel cut is still there to stop that.

Unless you're bypassing fuel cut in some unsafe way, you won't blow anything (except maybe an old stock headgasket LOL)

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
i am running it on mine and the only problem is that i get a rough idle every so often. if i sink the clutch while slowing down to a stop light it may cut off. thats the only thing that i have not figured out yet... but it runs wonderfull....

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
mista_sup;1338616 said:
i am running it on mine and the only problem is that i get a rough idle every so often. if i sink the clutch while slowing down to a stop light it may cut off. thats the only thing that i have not figured out yet... but it runs wonderfull....

Vented bov I take it?

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
another question. a friend of mine has an upgraded ct that was on a car he had that the previous owner put on but doesnt know what trim. how can u tell the differences visually or can u at all cuz for all i know it can be a 60-trim

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mista_sup;1338677 said:
its a hks ssqv bov it may have something to do with it but how do i fix it???

There's a adapter available to route the outlet back into the intake, so you can recirculate again. Otherwise, go with a engine management system that doesn't rely on an AFM.

Crap, I can't find the relevant posts. Shit!