4 piston calipers on stock rotors....

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
Doward;1315694 said:
By all means, go for it! I'm just questioning why. If it's just to say "I have 4 piston calipers!" then great. If it's to significantly improve stock brakes, then it won't do that.

Brakes are just one area I'm really anal-retentive about. Someone screws up brakes, and they careen into someone else, 90% of the time. I don't want to be careened into ;)

I agree that they are not something to take lightly for sure. Careening is not good for any involved. :) It's an improvement over stock and should be a reliable setup. My brother does cad work and I'm gonna have a machine shop make the brackets. Should be as strong as any other setup.

Again just to fill the gaps. between now and when I can afford your kit with the Cobra R set.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Seems to be some confusion on the benefit of 4 piston calipers in this thread...

They're stiffer structures and have no moving/sliding parts so provide and more even clamp on the rotors so you get more even pad wear nothing more.

Unless you radically change the piston sizing there's no magical better braking, most have leading pisons to prevent the Pad's leading edge pulling in and wearing/chattering so you need to look at that when choosing a pair to run from another car as the orientation of the pistons depends on the mounting location.

ie: In front or behind the spindles, usually dictated by the bleeder holes.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
sthmstr;1315661 said:
Hmm lookin closer at them I guess you're right. .5" difference maybe. I'd say with a measuring tape looks closer to .25" but not a big enough size difference to really matter much. The nightpager kit is much worse for rotor to pad ratio and seems to work fine.

Really The purpose of this thread is not to debate the technical reasons why bigger brakes are better. No question in my mind that this is not the ideal setup for ultimate braking. It's a temporary solution with a mild improvement in performance and majot improvement in cosmetics. I just wanted to see if anyone cared enough to see my progress with this conversion. If nobody cares then cool. I'll keep it to myself. If there's interest then I'll start the thread in the next week.

.5 to the diameter or .25 per side.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
4U2QUIK;1315798 said:
.5 to the diameter or .25 per side.

Looked to me as if the total diameter waas about .25" off between the 2 rotors.

Also I have a correction to 1 of my first reportings. The banjo bolts are the same size and thread pitch. 1 less thing tho custom. :)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Doward;1315934 said:
Check Brembo's online catalogue - the Supra is an 11.88" rotor, the 4WD truck is 11.34"
That .27" on either side of the rotor is negligible. I would say as long as the pad is still covering the outward portion of the rotor it would have nearly the same stopping torque as original.
Remember as I posted earlier the further out on the rotor the clamping force is applied the greater the force that is applied to the stopping of the hub from spinning. This is the same concept that we use anytime we put a pipe on a wrench.

If we really wanted to design a great BBK we would need to factor in several equations that incorporate several things such as, weight transfer, centrifugal inertia, cylinder volume, friction area, fulcrum points, material stress points, heat dissipation, line pressure thresholds, fluid boiling points, and of course one of the most important features the friction ratio to the actual ground surface.

Crunch the math I am willing to bet the differences in the 1/4 down low is not as significant as even an 1/8" of what it is up top of the rotor.