4 Cylinder Supra?

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Hey guys, I thought at some point I read somewhere in a magazine that someone had made a 4 Cylinder MKIV. I thought that it was Top Secret, but did some searching and couldn't find it. Perhaps i was wrong. Reason I am inquiring is because i have a budy thats parting out his AW11 mr2 and was considering doing a 4A-GZE swap into the supra. I was hoping to research the MKIV as an example on where to start but can't find info anywhere. Anyone heard of this elusive MKIV or not? Or maybe even seen someone do it on an MKIII somewhere?

Zer0

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
LOL... do NOT do a 4a swap into a supra... that would be terrible... the supra in question is the top secret gt-300 supra w/ a 3s-gte motor something like 720 hp w/ a t88 turbo 1.8 bar i think? I think some of the JGTC supra's used the same motor as well. the 3s-gte is found in celica's and mr-2's.. the motor was designed by yamaha, just like the jz's... the 3s is a 2.0 litre but it can be made into a 2.2 (maybe 2.3 litre?) it's got an iron block and can easily make 8 or 9 hundred horsepower if you wanted it to, lol.

http://www.suprastore.com/topsecsuport.html

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
89jdm7m;1385710 said:
LOL... do NOT do a 4a swap into a supra... that would be terrible... the supra in question is the top secret gt-300 supra w/ a 3s-gte motor something like 720 hp w/ a t88 turbo 1.8 bar i think? I think some of the JGTC supra's used the same motor as well. the 3s-gte is found in celica's and mr-2's.. the motor was designed by yamaha, just like the jz's... the 3s is a 2.0 litre but it can be made into a 2.2 (maybe 2.3 litre?) it's got an iron block and can easily make 8 or 9 hundred horsepower if you wanted it to, lol.

http://www.suprastore.com/topsecsuport.html

No worries. Now that i'm sober i was able to do the better research. fuck the 4age altogether, i like the 3s more. LOL. Especially considering i just read that TRD favored the 3s-GTE even more then the 2JZ. o_O

Guess the only question left is will a getrag tranny fit into the MKIII body, lol. Cause as from where i sit, that could be the only problem.

carter

"The Ninja"
Nov 1, 2005
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I'll admit, I'd kill for the top secret gt300 supra, but i don't think i'd do a 3s swap in a supra. Maybe a celica and mess with the dsm's since there all about 4g63s

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
carter;1385719 said:
I'll admit, I'd kill for the top secret gt300 supra, but i don't think i'd do a 3s swap in a supra. Maybe a celica and mess with the dsm's since there all about 4g63s

or you can be sneaky like a friend of mine and sneak the 4g63 (evo 8 one, i mean) into the AWD eclipse. GRIN.

no one expects that one, thats to be assured. :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I've definitely considered the swap, and I'd still like to do a 3s mkiii supra in the future... of course it'll be as light as possible, and I'd like to use it for road racing and auto x... nobody would expect it... that's for sure.. not to mention, like I said previously... these motors are capable of producing 900+ whp

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
It's an interesting idea, and one I've never thought of. If you decide to go this route be sure to put together a good build thread to keep us all up tp date.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Neodeuccio;1385734 said:
It's an interesting idea, and one I've never thought of. If you decide to go this route be sure to put together a good build thread to keep us all up tp date.

Oh it's totally on. I'm already calling people to order an engine. So far i'm looking at 400 for a long block (Used). which i will tear down and rebuild.

When i start the build i'll do it full on, and then afterwards i'll d a complete write up to do a 3S-GTE swap in an mkIII. i'll have to do everything custom i'm guessing so if others want to follow in my footsteps i can make duplicates of parts as i go along, and that way at the same time it can help me fund the project further. :)

Zer0

Ps: Still trying to figure if the 6 speed getrag will fit. no one is open yet so that i can call for size. anyone know dimensions or know for sure it will fit?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I know it will fit (but it won't) in other words you have to make your trans tunnel larger (i've heard of people just hammering it out) but i'd take the time to widen it correctly.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
lowtaco;1385792 said:
What about 2RZ/3RZ Toyota truck engines, they can make some power.

Thats SICK!!!!!!!!

But i'm dedicated to the 3S-GTE swap. I know it's probably not the best reason, and certainly not my main reason. But i kind of want to be one of the first to do a 3S swap in a MKIII now. lol. Mainly i just look forward to writing the how-to at the end. gives me an excuse to write again.

Zer0

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
lewis15498;1385806 said:
You need a shifter extension to use a R154 in an mk4, so I would assume that would mean putting a Getrag in an mk3 would put the shifter in the back of your center console, so my guess is no.

Said shifter extension:
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-r154shifterextensionformk4sc300.php

Good find, and good info to know. I know that the GM TH350 auto tranny will fit in. is there an equivilent that is a manual? I'm not familiar with USDM cars.

Zer0

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
of course you don't need to use a getrag trans, but then again I don't exactly know what other options there are (although, I know there are several) t-56 is one example...

lol... do lots of research? I haven't come to this issue yet, but i'd go ahead and take the car apart... get your motor and trans together.. take measurements so you know exactly how the motor mounts will need to be made (so everything lines up correctly, or you could move the shifter from the stock position if you wanted)... take measurements of the trans and your trans tunnel... see how much room you need and add a little extra room so it isn't impossible to put the thing in the car... and well, I think you get the general idea... some cutting, some welding... definitely need to figure out if cutting into the trans tunnel will disrupt the structural integrity of the chassis... to be honest there's a few things that need to be figured out... and i'm definitely not a professional fabricator.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
89jdm7m;1385817 said:
and i'm definitely not a professional fabricator.

yeah thats my job. lol. well atleast telling people to do their work is, lol. I'm just not sure on tranny selections. Only done some tinkering with an engine here and there. ;)

Zer0