3P's TCCS Disassembly/Analysis

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
tErbo b00st;1818484 said:
I was just discussing with a friend of mine how there is no factory tuning option for the 1J (or any Toyota ECU's). This would be my ideal tuning solution as I really do not like how most/all standalones function from a drive ability standpoint.

You say when it's available and I send paypal! haha

Same here, even with software in beta :D

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
3p141592654;1771978 said:
The knock control is designed to run the engine on the edge of detonation, which is good for fuel economy and responsiveness. It is not really capable or designed to save the engine in the case of a sudden fuel failure.

I do not have a JDM ECU, so whatever secrets are in them has yet to be explored by me. I keep looking, but they seem pretty rare.

I think you need ecu part numbers ending in 440, 141, 131, or 101. (I checked my spares: no luck)
Source: http://wholesale.toyotapartsandservice.com/reman-parts/rp-pdf/REMAN_Computers.pdf

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
timtiminy;1818825 said:
Will this daughterboard modification be limited to specific 7mgte ECUs?

No, besides the 7M ECUs, we already have it running on a dual processor ECU for the 3S in an MR2, and a 4AGE. It will work with any Toyota ECU up to about 1999 (2JZ, 1Jz, 3S 4AGE, 3VZ, etc).

The real bottleneck is understanding the software loaded into all these ECUs, because if you don't know what the code is doing, you can't modify it. While they share a lot of code between them, they still get more complicated with each generation. The 3S ECU has over 130 different maps! Now you know why a "standalone" cannot deliver the refinement and efficiency of the factory ECUs.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
We have made a lot of progress in the last few months. On the fly tuning is now demonstrated without any hiccups. Its really coming down to getting the Toyotune GUI ready, and also getting the manufacturing of the boards sorted out. Stay tuned...

JonS

Apr 9, 2009
Cambridge
For anyone who's interested in the dual MCU processor ECUs, here are a few photos showing the daughter boards fitted inside a 3S-GTE ECU.

p1818873_1.jpg

p1818873_2.jpg

The H/W is a slightly different design but both this solution and 3p's solution share the same S/W.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You can sign me up for a couple of 2JZ boards when you get this worked out...

Incredible stuff.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
3p141592654;1818853 said:
We have made a lot of progress in the last few months. On the fly tuning is now demonstrated without any hiccups. Its really coming down to getting the Toyotune GUI ready, and also getting the manufacturing of the boards sorted out. Stay tuned...

Is the GUI done and just needs tweaking?!

jza70

THE MAN
Jul 26, 2010
florida
If I am already running on a g-force ecu will I just be able to add the USB board.? It amazing how far you have gone with this I remember when this was just dreams.

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
This is amazing work here, guys!

3p141592654, what do you plan to do with all the information you've gathered? Originally you mentioned the purpose of the thread was the publish maps and algorithms of the ECU and I know bits and pieces are mentioned throughout the thread but I was wondering if there is any plan to consolidate that into a wiki or something like that?

Also, how much do you plan on selling these for?

timtiminy

Aug 13, 2010
SoCal
Excited to see all the fruit of your labor 3p (and whoever else helped along the way). Curious to find out what electronics and tuning experience will be required to use the system you are developing (hardware and tuning software). Will this be similar to NIStune or Hondata? For those of us that aren't familiar with electronics wil there be a service provided to have the daughterboard installed? and for those who are unfamiliar with tuning will there be base maps available for specific setups and will any knowledgeable tuner be able to work with the "toyotune" software?
Excited to see the final product and what its offerings will be. -staying tuned- =)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There is some confusion on the fuel-pressure up (FPU) feature in the 7M ECU so hopefully this will clarify things.

The FPU hardware when commanded on vents the fuel pressure regulator vacuum port to atmosphere. This effectively raises the fuel pressure by the manifold vacuum, so from 36psi to ~46-48 psi at idle which will increase the fuel boiling point in the rail, and cause the injectors to inject more fuel. This can be beneficial during hot starts with a heat soaked engine.

The FPU system can only be activated during cranking when the engine speed is below 300 rpm. During cranking, if the intake air temp is > 75C, OR if the coolant temp is > 100C and the intake air temp > 60C then the FPU will be activated. It will only come on when all these conditions are met.

Once the engine starts (rpm > 300), then the FPU system will continue to be enabled for up to 3 minutes. However, this will be cut short if the engine load exceeds 45%, or the short-term fuel trim goes very lean for more than 2 seconds.

Once the FPU system is commanded off, the target mixture is richened and gradually leaned out for another 37 seconds, presumably to soften the transition from FPU on to off.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah, that wasn't very clear or accurate! Assuming 19-21 in. for typical idle intake vacuum (-9 to -10 psi). Then, venting the fpr vac vent to atmosphere is going to add that much pressure to the fuel rail. Maybe 45-46psi would be better (across the injectors which will be seeing manifold vacuum at one end).

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
33-40 psi is what the manual says. Yes, I have the famous cold-start injector adapter with the schrader in it. I get ~35 psi. When idling, my manifold vacuum is usually 22in, so rail pressure is around 23 psi hot idle. "Are you bustin' my balls for a particular reason or are we just grumpy today? :icon_razz "