3P's TCCS Disassembly/Analysis

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The knock control is designed to run the engine on the edge of detonation, which is good for fuel economy and responsiveness. It is not really capable or designed to save the engine in the case of a sudden fuel failure.

I do not have a JDM ECU, so whatever secrets are in them has yet to be explored by me. I keep looking, but they seem pretty rare.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
We are still plugging away at this. Various software modules are coming together. This time of year tends to be tough, due to work and family activities that eat up too much time. Stay tuned...

timtiminy

Aug 13, 2010
SoCal
I am definitely staying tuned, been following for over a year now. I would love the ability to have a fully tune-able factory ECU. I love learning new things and tinkering and am pretty capable of doing most things myself as long as I have the tools and some guidance which brings about a question I've been meaning to ask; when this project is complete will a person like me be able to purchase/build and tune this system (opensource), Or is there a possibility of a pre-made pre-tuned version that will be able to be further tuned by specific tuners?
Thanks!
Tim

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The hardware is ready. We are working on the software to tune and log the factory code. The PC code is open-source. The ECU-side code is proprietary. I've had a prototype in my car, daily driven, for 10 trouble-free months now.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow.....I applaud your work on many levels man.

anything_you_want_gif_by_jacky_hell_oween-d3gavc0.gif

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
this is looking pretty good so far and show when mucking with piggy backs can do to the stock ecu........TOTAL CHAOS

I just wonder if this some what the same as all toyota based ecu of that area

like the 22re for some odd reason toyota use's a 2.5 volt to 7.5 signal ????

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Someone asked me about how the fuel pump speed is controlled. Like everything else in this ECU, its not straightforward, but here's the rough outline ignoring some of the details.

I have found the pump speed is controlled by a calculation that I describe as the fuel flow rate. It is the injector duration, multiplied by rpm, and is compared to a setpoint. If above the setpoint, the high speed is commanded.

The formula is duration(us)* rpm > 116,275,200 to command high speed

Using 3000 rpm, I get a switch to high speed at ~39ms injector duration, which is pretty much 100% duty cycle.

The use of larger injectors and bigger fuel pump will obviously mess up this calculation.

The command back to low speed adds a few wrinkles. If the engine load is high, but the rpm low this would be a low fuel flow situation, but the ecu delays the switch back to low speed under these conditions, presumably anticipating that the engine speed could rise quickly requiring high speed again. Also, there is a timer that prevents the switch from occurring if the pump speed changed recently. The delay is longer (about 2.5s) for high-to-low than for low-to-high. This prevents chattering of the relay. I can change all these parameters using my modified ecu daughterboard.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Whats the ETA on this for the software? I definitely have a customer interested as he wants to have some way to tune 550 but an AEM is not in his budget but doesn't want to fiddle with a SAFC.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Kai;1800606 said:
Is it possible to disable the fuel pump switching, for those that have bypassed the relevant electronics and fitted a walbro?

I always disable it. Just run a (high amp fused) heavy gauge 12V lead from the battery and use the FP signal from the harness to switch a trunk mounted relay on and off. Relay triggers whether it's 6V or 12V so it doesn't matter what the ECU tells it, it's always on at 12V when the engine is running.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Just this week the pieces were put together to allow real-time tuning of the ECU as the engine runs. The interface is command line right now, but allows any location in memory to be adjusted including all tables, thresholds and settings, and the code too so you have to be careful or something crazy can happen.

The interface is also moving forward, it is called toyotune. The video uses toyotune as the datalogger at the end. This will also be the app for tuning the ECU maps and so on, but it is not finished quite yet.

The video shows a simple example where the value of the target idle speed is changed, and then the engine idle speed is shown slowly adjusting to the new target. The factory ECU adjusts idle speed very slowly, so it take a good 20 seconds to move to the new speed after its changed.

Since this is an A/T ECU, there are actually 4 target idle speeds depending on conditions:
Map_IdleRPM:
40h ; 600 rpm AC off, DRL2
50h ; 650 rpm AC off, PN
60h ; 700 rpm AC on, DRL2
0A0h ; 900 rpm AC on, PN

We are adjusting the map value for AC off, transmission in PN, which is normally 650 rpm (table hex value 50h)
It is then set to 900 rpm (hex value A0h ) which causes the speed to ramp up, then its set back to 650 rpm.

A dumb little example, but easy to video. Remember though, anything can be adjusted this way, timing/fuel maps, knock map, fuel cut, warm up targets, fuel cut, injector scaling, you name it!

Right now, there is a glitch so every time a value is set the engine briefly misses. You can see the spikes in the datalog and the tach jumps visibly at the slower 650 rpm. We are working on a fix for that right now.

[video=youtube;ZWlinwIdNYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWlinwIdNYE[/video]

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supracentral;1800611 said:
I always disable it. Just run a (high amp fused) heavy gauge 12V lead from the battery and use the FP signal from the harness to switch a trunk mounted relay on and off.

To save time over pulling the wire out of the relay box and putting the new one in its place?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Nick M;1812195 said:
To save time over pulling the wire out of the relay box and putting the new one in its place?

No, to guarantee steady voltage to the fuel pump while bypassing the factory wiring. I'm usually working with two pumps and I don't trust the stock wiring to carry that amperage load.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supracentral;1812200 said:
No, to guarantee steady voltage to the fuel pump while bypassing the factory wiring. I'm usually working with two pumps and I don't trust the stock wiring to carry that amperage load.

I understand. Very much so. I had a very large (for naturally aspirated) BBK pump in my 5.0 a long time ago. I redid all I could. EEC IV didn't have "circuit opening relay" or two speed. On top of that, Motorcraft electric motors don't last as long as NipponDenso. As far as I can tell.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Ignoring the obvious performance aspects of this, from a diagnostic perspective it is awesome as well. No more guessing as to what part of the chain is causing problems/throwing error codes, as you can see what the ECU is seeing. Freakin awesome.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
I was just discussing with a friend of mine how there is no factory tuning option for the 1J (or any Toyota ECU's). This would be my ideal tuning solution as I really do not like how most/all standalones function from a drive ability standpoint.

You say when it's available and I send paypal! haha