3270 lbs street car

Weighed the car today! It's an 89 Targa with 2JZ/single/standalone with rear seats and rear hatch interior panels removed (the rest of the interior is intact). No ABS, extra wiring, or other BS in the engine bay and a tiny little dry cell battery. FRP bucket seats, lightweight suspension arms, but heavy wheels/tires. 1/4 tank gas, no driver in it, some random tools and a jack and stuff inside. All the bumper supports, etc are intact and present. I'm pretty happy, I thought it was ~3400 lbs.

476999_388325881205025_111201962250753_930510_958491207_o.jpg

The front to rear weight bias kind of sucks, but it does have a heavy turbocharged inline 6 in the front haha.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OneJArpus;1846821 said:
With a full tank it'll be over 3500+ easy. Fuel weighs alot.

Which is far less than stock. A 5 speed hardtop 7MGTE curb weight (no fuel or driver) listed about 3580. ABS, sport roof, automatic, 91-92 speakers and wiring with sound proofing all add weight. I would love to dump 300 lbs without changing the character of the car. That would cost me a lot of money, and I am not willing to do it.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
rtrdpenguin;1846816 said:
Weighed the car today! It's an 89 Targa with 2JZ/single/standalone with rear seats and rear hatch interior panels removed (the rest of the interior is intact). No ABS, extra wiring, or other BS in the engine bay and a tiny little dry cell battery. FRP bucket seats, lightweight suspension arms, but heavy wheels/tires. 1/4 tank gas, no driver in it, some random tools and a jack and stuff inside. All the bumper supports, etc are intact and present. I'm pretty happy, I thought it was ~3400 lbs.

476999_388325881205025_111201962250753_930510_958491207_o.jpg

The front to rear weight bias kind of sucks, but it does have a heavy turbocharged inline 6 in the front haha.

Very impressive!

I'm with nick on this though. I love my full interior and 100lbs power seat :D

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Don't think to hard about one component and say but it is only "x" pounds. If you start to lighten the load, it all adds up. How much? Add a 200 lb passenger and see if you can tell the difference. Or two of them.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Mine was 3210 with full tank of gas plus cage is 100 making it 3310. No front bumper support but I have over 30 pounds of sound deaden I added to keep car quite inside. :D I have rear seat missing because of the cage but otherwise all full interior.

Duane

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'd say anything over 50 pounds is noticeable. If you slowly take weight out 5 pounds at a time though you will never really notice a difference. There will be a difference, but you just don't notice it unless you take it out 50 or 100 pounds at a time.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
sylquebec;1847028 said:
Nice info...
But i prefer increasing the boost!

Does that help your cornering or braking? Some of you that think these really good brakes are bad brakes (rolls eyes) would think different at 3200 lbs. Here is another one. Take a stock 87 Supra 7MGTE and 230 hp, manual trans, and line it up with an 87 5.0 Mustang and 5 speed and 225 hp. Then decided if 400 lbs matters.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1847123 said:
Does that help your cornering or braking? Here is another one. Take a stock 87 Supra 7MGTE and 230 hp, manual trans, and line it up with an 87 5.0 Mustang and 5 speed and 225 hp. Then decided if 400 lbs matters.
100% agreed on the handling aspects of weight reduction.

However, at my altitude, your comparo would highly favor the Supra, if only because turbo cars don't suffer altitude sickness to the same degree that naturally aspirated cars do.

Anyway, to the OP, congrats, that's not a bad weight at all, especially for a targa car. I'd love for mine to come in under 3500 once it is all said and done.

Not bad! I have been considering having some lighter bumper supports made that secure my bumper better and lose some weight, but don't really think it's worth it haha. I also do still have all my sound deadening, carpet, speakers, etc, which might go in the near future.

Honestly, the car doesn't feel that much different than when it was full weight. It's still a heavy thing to manuver around haha. I was just surprised that it was sub-3400.

Not bad! I have been considering having some lighter bumper supports made that secure my bumper better and lose some weight, but don't really think it's worth it haha. I also do still have all my sound deadening, carpet, speakers, etc, which might go in the near future.

Honestly, the car doesn't feel that much different than when it was full weight. It's still a heavy thing to manuver around haha. I was just surprised that it was sub-3400.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
rtrdpenguin;1847352 said:

Are you going to a strictly track car? I've been in a few Mk3's without any sound deadening, interior, etc... it's not fun if you intend to use it often. If it's a toy, then knock yourself out (well, it's your car anyway), but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're looking for that extra 1% though...

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Nice numbers dude...I am jealous! I weighted my turbo targa Supra 3900 lbs... :-(
I run a single turbo 2JZ with AEM electronics and it is tuned for street action and cruising around.

But that was with a full fuel tank (16 gallons), I got a full soundsystem with 10" sub etc., car cover, full tool kit, fire ext.,14.2' BBK, 27lbs bosch battery,
also my car is a Euro spec so I got a full 225-50/16' spare wheel (55lbs), and some body kit parts like bomex sides, custom rear with diffuser,
heavy 18' rims and fat tires. Partly leather interior with every optional equipment available ,like power heated seats,ABS,climate control,super monitor,TEMS,etc.
And ALL that with some carbon stuff like a carbon Stout hood,carbon S2 Ganador mirrors,carbon lower windshield coil,and carbon doorsteps along with an aftermarket steering wheel, which should have saved me around 60lbs...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
rtrdpenguin;1847353 said:

For what it's worth, the MKIV crash bars are aluminum vs our steel...

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Poodles;1848221 said:
For what it's worth, the MKIV crash bars are aluminum vs our steel...

The only factory aluminum parts on our (mk3) Supras that I can think of......
- upper suspension arms
- engine head
- Transmission case & bellhousing
- engine brackets & upper oil pan (1JZ only)