30 mpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
jetjock;1709092 said:
No, but there's been times I wish I was :)

chunks: 700-800 miles but since the thing wasn't made for traveling it's rarely used for that...

Hmm seems a little low for a plane? Stunt plane? I don't know much about them other then there expensive and not much traffic.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I remeber gas prices being around $0.89/gal when I first started driving in 1990. I was 16. $10 would fill up your car and you could go all week. When I bought my supra in 1995 93 octane was $1.05/gal. Those were the days.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Local gas here is $5.63/US Gal for 94 octane :(. At these prices, buying a propper ECU replacement and tuning could actually pay themselves off in the long run if you do it right. Gotta think of that when I try and sell the new fuel system to the wife :naughty:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Wow, you Canadians are getting screwed even harder than we are... not that I'm complaining, short of wearing a turban and moving to the opposite side of the world, I think the US has the lowest gas prices in the world. Isn't the Canadian dollar worth more than the USD though?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
te72;1709024 said:
I'll be the first to follow that twat when he buys himself an *armored* vehicle that gets better than 30mpg.

I am curious. Why do you think it matters what he gets from MPG in an armored vehicle?

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Suprapowaz!(2);1709270 said:
I remeber gas prices being around $0.89/gal when I first started driving in 1990. I was 16. $10 would fill up your car and you could go all week. When I bought my supra in 1995 93 octane was $1.05/gal. Those were the days.

Seems more like $1.50 or so on the high end. 1.25-1.50, depending on locale.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

te72;1709377 said:
Wow, you Canadians are getting screwed even harder than we are...

How is that free health care working out? We are not far behind, although Obamacare was already struck down, and is in Federal appeals court.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
te72;1709377 said:
Wow, you Canadians are getting screwed even harder than we are... not that I'm complaining, short of wearing a turban and moving to the opposite side of the world, I think the US has the lowest gas prices in the world. Isn't the Canadian dollar worth more than the USD though?

Marginally. If you want to take currency conversion in to account it would be $5.40. What's horrible is the price of gas out here is like a yo yo. It had spiked up to that price 2 - 3 days ago, now it's down to $4.93 (currency corrected already). A 25 to 35 cent jump in price of gas per gallon is not unheard of out here at all :(

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
So, mind your fuel trim. Avoid jackrabbit starts. Doing this, you will not get 30 mpg. I was on the highway, set the cruise to indicated 78, and my next stop was 370 miles away to refuel. That is how I got it. But you should be able to get 21-23 on a tank. If you drive hard expect the high teens, or worse.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
I fill up every monday and keep track of how much I but and at what price I buy it stand calculate mpg. I drive about 45 miles a day and the best I've done is like 27 mpg in my a4. Not terrible but not great either. I hope my supra is much lowered when I get it going.

On gas prices. You can't blame speculators for price increases on the way up wihout blaming them on the way down, which I've never heard anyone do. What should anger you is gas stations that are quick to raise the price with rising oil but slow to lower.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1709401 said:
I am curious. Why do you think it matters what he gets from MPG in an armored vehicle?

How is that free health care working out? We are not far behind, although Obamacare was already struck down, and is in Federal appeals court.

Just find it hypocritical that politicians say that "we're average Americans too, we have to pay for gas as well, we drive the same cars you do, etc...", while trying to shove higher and higher CAFE mandated mileage on manufacturers... I'm all for getting better mileage as technology allows, but I'd be surprised if average mileage these days is significantly better than it was in the late 80's. You'd think 20+ years would afford quite a bit better efficiency given that your average v6 these days puts out as much power as your average 80's Vette.

I guess my rant was more directed at our President trying to push the whole 'do as I say not as I do' mindset on the country. If his vehicles (all of which, we could reasonably believe, are armored) could get more than 30mpg, then maybe it's time to look into a modern car like ol' Obama would like us to do. :)

jetjock;1709441 said:
800 miles isn't much but neither is the 2 hours spent getting there.
Heh, good point... Last plane I was on was doing ~475mph for most of the journey. Got from Baltimore to SLC in a litle over 4 hours if I remember correctly.

Smartparts;1709802 said:
On gas prices. You can't blame speculators for price increases on the way up wihout blaming them on the way down, which I've never heard anyone do. What should anger you is gas stations that are quick to raise the price with rising oil but slow to lower.

That's true, everybody's happy when gas is going down, but is it really the speculator's doing that causes this to happen? I still get the feeling they're just toying with people just to skim a bit more profit out of our wallets. If oil is $140/bbl today, and $95/bbl tomorrow, then where does this crazy cycle start at??? I know I'm very ignorant of the whole process, but it does seem weird to me. You can't believe the cost of transportation, refining, storage, etc changes THAT drastically on a week to week basis, it seems to me that the original price per barrel has the biggest impact on the end user price.

Definitely agree with you on the "slow to lower" bit though, that's BS. Understandable BS, because as a business, you want to be able to hold a price for as long as possible. If my costs go down drastically, I'm going to wait at least as long as it takes to confirm with my suppliers that my costs are going to be stable, before I think about lowering my customer's costs. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), this is just how a commodity based business is run...

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'd be curious to see what useful mods can be done to increase fuel economy that are more supra specific. Has anyone actually done and recorded a fuel economy build on one of our supras?

Nick M;1709401 said:

Fine up here, in the USA is another matter. And its not free healthcare its universal healthcare.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Canuckrz;1709884 said:
I'd be curious to see what useful mods can be done to increase fuel economy that are more supra specific.

See the O.P. The A340E has a taller overdrive than the R154 or W58. And the 3.73 is lower (taller) than the 3.91 in yours. Assuming you have a 3.91 based on your avatar of the old grill emblem. Make sure the tune is fresh, and drive easy for a few tanks. The car will lean out through fuel trim. A little bit.

te72;1709817 said:
Just find it hypocritical that politicians say that "we're average Americans too, we have to pay for gas as well, we drive the same cars you do, etc...",

As much as I hate Obama, he is the President of the United States, holds secrets, and needs to be protected. I also don't care how much fuel an M1 goes through.

I'm all for getting better mileage as technology allows, but I'd be surprised if average mileage these days is significantly better than it was in the late 80's. You'd think 20+ years would afford quite a bit better efficiency given that your average v6 these days puts out as much power as your average 80's Vette.

Did you really think about what you just wrote? A V6 in the mid 80's that had 150 hp was strong. Now they have 275 or more, and burn the same amount of fuel. That is an increase in effeciency. They do more work with the same fuel. And a C5 will get the same milage I did, where as a C4 had no chance.

Free was a misstatement on purpose. It (socialized medicince) is paid for by taxes.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1709817 said:
I'm all for getting better mileage as technology allows, but I'd be surprised if average mileage these days is significantly better than it was in the late 80's. You'd think 20+ years would afford quite a bit better efficiency given that your average v6 these days puts out as much power as your average 80's Vette.

The problem is, as engine efficiency went up, so did safety standards, and as a result... curb weight. The CRX HF got ~50mpg, but it only had to pull around 1,713 (!) pounds. Even a tiny Mazda 2, Yaris hatchback, or Prius has to pull around 600 pounds more (actually, 1,200 more in the case of the Prius). Crash an 84' CRX HF head on into a Mazda 2 though, and you'll find out just how much safety that 600 pounds can provide (and how much plastic the CRX has in the front end, lol).

I'm chasing better fuel economy with my car, sort of. More as a curiosity than anything. I didn't buy the car for fuel economy... but I would like to be able to take it on a few long trips instead of always defaulting to our 34MPG (70mph highway) Mazdaspeed3.

When I first put my car on the road in March this year I was only getting 10mpg. Yeah, wtf indeed. I found sticking rear brake pads, dirty leaking fuel injectors (I saved the dirt from them, since it was JDM dirt), and cracked ignition coils. I painted the coils with clear nail polish (it worked!.. no misfires anymore) and cleaned the rust off the rear pad sliders. I got 2JZ side feed 440's, had them cleaned and tested (professionally), and just put them in yesterday, so I have to see what my MPG is up to now.

I have a few other plans... stuff I found from other projects I saw (motoiq project sipster) and from some of those hypermiling forums. I'm planning on blocking off the foglight holes and ducting air to my oil cooler from the main opening to reduce turbulence through the front end. My stock undertray is gone, and so is my front lip, so I'm making a complete front splitter and undertray out of either thin plywood or ABS (it will only go as far back as the front cross member). It will look better than the image that just flashed into your mind. Well, I hope. The back of the car will also be getting a few pieces of strategically placed flat ABS plastic to smooth airflow under the car around the transmission, rear subframe, and fuel tank. I'm also considering taking the stock spoiler off, it adds drag (+.02 to the cD according to Toyota) and I'm not sure that it does anything noticeable for downforce or stability. I already shaved the antenna and rear wiper (they were also both broken and weighed something). I already took quite a bit of weight out of the car too. I'm figuring the W58 is helping my city mileage, with it's taller ratio's in 1st through 3rd. My car has the 3.91 LSD, so they are even taller than they are in a non-turbo with it's 4.30 rear. Downside to the W58 ratios is the shorter 5th gear (0.85 IIRC) which hurts highway mileage. The alloy plate W58 itself is 35 pounds lighter than the R154, plus the clutch and flywheel are lighter (5 pounds less rotating mass there alone), and the driveshaft is smaller diameter and lighter by 6 pounds (than the A340E shaft I took out). The 190wt SevereGear in the trans is probably killing a MPG or two, but I'm too nervous that it's the only thing holding it together to put normal 80W-90 in there.

Anyway... pretty much anything I'm planning to do for economy is helping performance too, so it's win-win.

Oh, and also, I'm willing to bet that driving with the headlights up kills at least 1 MPG. I can feel the car slow down when I open the damn things.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I was pondering with the idea of replacing all the lights in the car with the LED bulbs. Except for the headlights ofcourse, phillips ecopowers or similar for them in hella housings. I wonder what sorts of gains could be had from that, if nothing else it could be a way to offset the increased draw of an electric fan setup.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
But you have to put in the passenger seat. Or something else. Cutting weight is a great solution, this is true. If you can drop 400 lbs without hurting the car in some way, do it. It would make for better all around performance including breaking and turning. One other thing, I would get better milage with shorter rear end with all my city driving. The engine isn't loaded as much with 4.30's. But you will suffer at 75 mph.

Fiberglass hood (costs way less than ugly CF). Smaller battery. No A/C. :runaway: Tubular intake manifold. Sound deadener. Rustproofing. Aluminium driveshaft ( other issues). Get rid of the sound system, use stock speakers only ditch the woofer and amp. The Seats. Basicly make it a Mustang (old 5.0) instead of a Supra. The 1UZFE weighs 70 lbs less than the 7MGTE. Get a Celica Supra and do a swap.

P1030592.JPG

It makes me drool. As the wifes eyes roll.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Canuckrz;1710014 said:
I was pondering with the idea of replacing all the lights in the car with the LED bulbs. Except for the headlights ofcourse, phillips ecopowers or similar for them in hella housings. I wonder what sorts of gains could be had from that, if nothing else it could be a way to offset the increased draw of an electric fan setup.

It wont do too much, the only filament bulbs in my Supras are the headlights, reverse lights, signals (well, my 86.5 has LED signals), and the warning lights, and im getting the same mileage, i have however performned the foglight mod to be able to drive with my headlights down in mid light (never in pure dark thats illegal/stupid)...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1709949 said:
As much as I hate Obama, he is the President of the United States, holds secrets, and needs to be protected. I also don't care how much fuel an M1 goes through.

Did you really think about what you just wrote? A V6 in the mid 80's that had 150 hp was strong. Now they have 275 or more, and burn the same amount of fuel. That is an increase in effeciency. They do more work with the same fuel. And a C5 will get the same milage I did, where as a C4 had no chance.

Good point on both accounts, I've just never been a fan of someone trying to force their eco-agenda on anybody. Give Obama the power, and I'm sure you'd see truck production banned before too long. The guy is so ridiculously out of touch with the automotive world it isn't even funny some days. I hadn't really taken into account the power increase of relative sized engines merely because (like was mentioned by destrux) of increasing curb weights. When is enough BS frilly features on an economy car going to be enough? Give it 10 years and I'd be surprised if we don't start seeing Corollas that weigh 3500lbs all in the name of safety and comfort.

Can you even buy a proper economy car these days? Is there anything on sale in NA that gets 65+ mpg that isn't a bike? That was the point I was getting at... Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly like the European model of automotive economics, but some days I feel we really are behind the development curve.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1710267 said:
When is enough BS frilly features on an economy car going to be enough? Give it 10 years and I'd be surprised if we don't start seeing Corollas that weigh 3500lbs all in the name of safety and comfort.

Exactly....

Look at the 2011 Ford Fiesta vs the Mazda 2. Basically the same chassis (different engines though, oddly), but Ford managed to stick an extra 200 to 300 pounds of crap onto the car (depending on trim level). With a car that small... where do they even find a place to stick that much extra weight?

I'd love to have some extra cash and a legitimate reason to buy a Mazda 2 for a DD. I think they have some potential to be really fun cars if modded a little. I used to love driving my wifes old 86 CRX, it had no power but it was like driving a go-kart.