3 Mishi Radiators in a year, all failed the same way; fan blade impact (anyone else?)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Update

Word has it, new models are in.....finally :3d_frown:

Pat is confirming this for me with his team. If so Ill have it shipped to me soon. I also requested a list of changes to the new design.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Its been long while but I wanted to just give everyone an update on the whole situation if you dont know already. The new design has been available for some time now since stated above. The new design seems to be a bit slimmer than the original design but hardly noticeable. I've been running with the new design for a few months now with some passes at the strip and the problem seems to have been corrected. It sucks it took so long to get the issue corrected but at least every time the radiator gave out Mishimoto stood by their warranty and shipped out another one.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Ooh :) pics? I dug up the last email that Pat sent me and requested a replacement, can't wait to hear back. Thank you 1988ma70supra for your contribution, and Mishimoto for their customer service.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
1988ma70supra;1822939 said:
Its been long while but I wanted to just give everyone an update on the whole situation if you dont know already. The new design has been available for some time now since stated above. The new design seems to be a bit slimmer than the original design but hardly noticeable. I've been running with the new design for a few months now with some passes at the strip and the problem seems to have been corrected. It sucks it took so long to get the issue corrected but at least every time the radiator gave out Mishimoto stood by their warranty and shipped out another one.

A. Jay;1822940 said:
Ooh :) pics? I dug up the last email that Pat sent me and requested a replacement, can't wait to hear back. Thank you 1988ma70supra for your contribution, and Mishimoto for their customer service.

Its been out some time. Failed immediately in my book as I'm now shroud-less. I made a thread on this awhile back. I made Pat aware of the issue, he has avoided me since I requested them to replace my shroud or at least provide me another cooling option.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ishimoto-radiator-redesign-is-in......FAILURE

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
Yes get some electric fans.Theres a guy near me witha mk2 supra with a 2jz swap maybe spent about $6000.00 on the swap and runs the clutch fan.I just dont get it.It looks retarded.And a high hp engine is bound to put a clutch fan thru the radiator.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
If there's room for a clutch fan, switching to e-fans are a downgrade.

Clutch fan: engine turns clutch, clutch turns fan.
E-fan: engine turns alternator, alternator makes power, power turns electric motors in fans.

One of those paths has a lower effeciency/uses more power from the engine.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
tomsupra8683;1823455 said:
Yes get some electric fans.Theres a guy near me witha mk2 supra with a 2jz swap maybe spent about $6000.00 on the swap and runs the clutch fan.I just dont get it.It looks retarded.And a high hp engine is bound to put a clutch fan thru the radiator.

What ajay said. Its a downgrade.

A. Jay;1823469 said:
If there's room for a clutch fan, switching to e-fans are a downgrade.

Clutch fan: engine turns clutch, clutch turns fan.
E-fan: engine turns alternator, alternator makes power, power turns electric motors in fans.

One of those paths has a lower effeciency/uses more power from the engine.

I seriously doubt you could even get a measurable power difference have a clutch fan versus not. The down side to efans is purely the fact that they cannot flow nearly as much as a stock clutch fan.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
IwantMKIII;1823387 said:
Its been out some time. Failed immediately in my book as I'm now shroud-less. I made a thread on this awhile back. I made Pat aware of the issue, he has avoided me since I requested them to replace my shroud or at least provide me another cooling option.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ishimoto-radiator-redesign-is-in......FAILURE
Did you happen to get one as soon as they came out? The reason I ask is becasue when i was checking with Pat and finally got word that the new design was being produced, he told me that in order to be sure that i was gonna recieve the new design i would have to wait untill the old designs had been depleted. I went ahead and just waited it out a bit longer and kept checking with him until he assured me that i would get the new design. I have a feeling you might have gotten a replacement still with the old design. The waiting game was definatelly an inconvenience and sucked pretty bad, but I'm glad that they were willing to change their desing once they saw it wasnt working instead of just telling people to buy their e-fan setup to solve the issue.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
The electric fan dosn't have too run at all when the car is at speed and ususally dosn't put holes in the radiator.Less rotating mass on the engine and yes i get the alternator may cause a little more drag.Anyone have any real proof of a clutch fan being more effecient than electric fans im curious to see that.I dont think ive seen a clutch fan on a modern rwd car lately.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
tomsupra8683;1824311 said:
The electric fan dosn't have too run at all when the car is at speed and ususally dosn't put holes in the radiator.Less rotating mass on the engine and yes i get the alternator may cause a little more drag.Anyone have any real proof of a clutch fan being more effecient than electric fans im curious to see that.I dont think ive seen a clutch fan on a modern rwd car lately.

The electric fans will definately give you less rotating mass therefore more power but what I think everyone is really referring to is not so much about the performance aspect of the clutch fan but the reliability of it. I dont know where you live but here in Texas the heat in the summer is pretty hard on the cars cooling system. If an electric fan fails, the engine overheats and can ruin your engine. Normally when a clutch fan fails, it runs at the speed of the engine's revolutions and is still driveable. This is the main reason why I personally prefer the factory clutch fan setup to the electric fans, but everyone has their own take on the issue. Modern cars not using a clutch fan is not really a position of argument in my opinion since they are also using plastics for intake manifolds.