3 Mishi Radiators in a year, all failed the same way; fan blade impact (anyone else?)

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Any updates? I had a coolant steam bath in the bay this morning and although I haven't had a chance to really look at it (at work now, tow scheduled for 5PM) I'm suspecting the Mishimoto since i have the old design, newish hoses, and most of what I could see was concentrated in the fan clutch area.

update: mine was the front 90* hose. still no issue with my mishimoto, stock 87 7mgte fan clutch(oem water pump).

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
I'm curious as to what these "testing procedures" were? There are a few locals using this radiator, I wonder if they have had this issue.....

side note: I used a Koyo on my DSM (different application, I know...) and it worked great. Never had an issue.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
no updates, ive had a hell of a time getting a hold of pat lately. Still working on it slowly, but hasn't been forgotten. When I know, you will all know.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
Im pretty sure its motor mounts, I went through 3 shrouds on a car and 2 fans with what looked like ok motor mounts... Replaced them and never had the problem again. My current car had clear evidence of the fan grazing the stock radiator as well. I have new mounts in that car now with a really thick CX racing radiator and havent had a problem.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^its a possibility. I think its more of a combination than anything of several factors, motor mounts being just one. IIRC someone had this issue even with solid mounts.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
I have been trying to get ahold of pat awell, last time i talked to him they were supposed to be getting a new one designed and test fitted. That was back in December and it was to be completed in January if I remember correctly. Keep me updated aswell.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I emailed pat about a week ago and he told me they were just finishing up the test fitment and were planning on placing their order with their manufacturing company with the new design as soon as the fitment was confirmed. He told me he would keep me posted but if i dont hear from him by the end of this week im probably gonna check with him and see where they're at with the whole thing. Ill keep you guys posted if i hear anything as well

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
goodhart;1668733 said:

kryoflow_jeep_radiator_thumbnail.jpg

Radiator

Radiator

Radiator

banana.thumbnail.jpg

Not Radiator

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
^^LOL Funny guy.

I was referring to this comment, what made the testing "unreasonable"?

IwantMKIII;1639964 said:
Unfortunately my contact has no control over who gets to test. I came in contact with the project manager but their 'testing methods' are simply outrageous and unrealistic. I don't think I will be able to test because of what they expect. I guess ill just be waiting in line like the rest of you unfortunately, even though i helped them immensely through this process and saved them large amounts of money on returns/replacements in the future.........

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
1988ma70supra;1668442 said:
I emailed pat about a week ago and he told me they were just finishing up the test fitment and were planning on placing their order with their manufacturing company with the new design as soon as the fitment was confirmed. He told me he would keep me posted but if i dont hear from him by the end of this week im probably gonna check with him and see where they're at with the whole thing. Ill keep you guys posted if i hear anything as well

They've had the prototype in hand for months. I've been dealing with Pat since the beginning of the redesign back in July, and even offered to help with testing to speed the process. However i refused their testing.

goodhart;1668733 said:

Basically, testing procedures require you bring your car to their facility in DE, leave it for a period of time (more than a day) and pick it up when they tell you.

Why is this a terrible thing...

1. No one works on my car but me unless I'm there supervising
2. I've offered to test fit myself and go through several of my own testing procedures including dyno time and taking measurements with a stroboscope (for fan clearances) so long as they provide the tools
3. I've offered to go down and wait and even input advice of things the community would want and to improve its design. This was declined as they must do all the testing behind doors
4. This is my DD

I've been very very flexible with this entire situation (especially with the amount of trouble its caused me), however I'm getting to the end of my rope. I'm very frustrated with the empty promises and excessively stretched time frames. I'm glad they've done the prototype, but they've had it for a long while now and refuse to work with the options they have available to them. Instead, it's looking like they'd rather wait for a very trusting person to hand over the keys to their car, while still selling an unreliable product to uninformed customers of the potential hazards associated.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
IwantMKIII;1668826 said:
They've had the prototype in hand for months. I've been dealing with Pat since the beginning of the redesign back in July, and even offered to help with testing to speed the process. However i refused their testing.

Basically, testing procedures require you bring your car to their facility in DE, leave it for a period of time (more than a day) and pick it up when they tell you.

Why is this a terrible thing...

1. No one works on my car but me unless I'm there supervising
2. I've offered to test fit myself and go through several of my own testing procedures including dyno time and taking measurements with a stroboscope (for fan clearances) so long as they provide the tools
3. I've offered to go down and wait and even input advice of things the community would want and to improve its design. This was declined as they must do all the testing behind doors
4. This is my DD

I've been very very flexible with this entire situation (especially with the amount of trouble its caused me), however I'm getting to the end of my rope. I'm very frustrated with the empty promises and excessively stretched time frames. I'm glad they've done the prototype, but they've had it for a long while now and refuse to work with the options they have available to them. Instead, it's looking like they'd rather wait for a very trusting person to hand over the keys to their car, while still selling an unreliable product to uninformed customers of the potential hazards associated.

I completely agree, I fortunately still had my stock radiator otherwise I would have been out of luck since my car is also a daily driver.

1988ma70supra

Oct 2, 2007
I got a reply from them today. I asked for a status update and this is what I got as a reply

"At this time, we do not have an estimated date of completion for this project. We have confirmed fitment with the test fit vehicle. The owner of the vehicle has been using the sample for the past 2 weeks with no problems. We will be confirming drawing with the manufacturing center and then placing an order.

We should have these available soon!"

Seems like theres a finally a light at the end of this tunnel

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
yea, and does this "tester" have issues with the previous model??? if not, why should i trust this one? One of the key reasons I should have been a tester......