3.70 or 4.30 diff gear ratio

teebone

Mar 28, 2008
Corvallis Oregon
I currently have the tall gear and am in need of rebuilding the diff. I'm thinking I might go with the lower gear ratio when I rebuild. Currious to know what people think of the idea. I know I will sacrifice top end and fuel economy but I have never ran out of speed before I ran out of road. Thanks for any input you might have!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I hate the 4.3 on the highway on long trips and first gear is useless with a turbo pushing anything more than stock.... just my opinion. You could also try going with the 3.9 for something in the middle; that's what I plan on swapping in.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I loved the 4.30 in my old car. I was pushing 300+rwhp and yeah, first gear wasn't great, but any gear after it just pulled like a freight train.

I've got a T2 4:10 Torsen going in when the new car is done.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff;1418266 said:
I loved the 4.30 in my old car. I was pushing 300+rwhp and yeah, first gear wasn't great, but any gear after it just pulled like a freight train.

I've got a T2 4:10 Torsen going in when the new car is done.

Into a G series?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ.;1418267 said:
Into a G series?

That's the plan, anyway. LOL. I suppose you're going to want me to disassemble my current differential and compare the two? :)
ma71supraturbo;1418325 said:
Ian,

I've heard about this a couple of times and here's the most recent thread on it: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96336

So far I don't know anyone who has actually made sure that it

a) fits
b) is significantly stronger than the T1

So I'm very much looking forward to Shaeff's review

I'll find out if it fits within the next few months, possibly sooner. Aiming to have the differential built/usable by spring at the latest. As for strength, I guess I'll let the future 500+ rwhp (gt35r variant) do the talking. I'm not easy on my cars, but I maintain them like clockwork. Should be interesting!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ma71supraturbo;1418325 said:
Ian,

I've heard about this a couple of times and here's the most recent thread on it: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96336

So far I don't know anyone who has actually made sure that it

a) fits
b) is significantly stronger than the T1

So I'm very much looking forward to Shaeff's review

shaeff;1418335 said:
That's the plan, anyway. LOL. I suppose you're going to want me to disassemble my current differential and compare the two? :)

I'll find out if it fits within the next few months, possibly sooner. Aiming to have the differential built/usable by spring at the latest. As for strength, I guess I'll let the future 500+ rwhp (gt35r variant) do the talking. I'm not easy on my cars, but I maintain them like clockwork. Should be interesting!

I thought the case offsets were all wrong and they don't bolt in?

Apart from the high speed oiling issue I never broke my T1 :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I have 4.30s in my supra, seems perfectly fine with BPU mods (albeit on a 1jz). The only downside for me was that 4th topped out at 125ish (gps).