3.4L V-6 swap?

JDav

Sep 1, 2012
Medford, Oregon
Has anybody out there ever transplanted a V-6 out of a truck or 4Runner into a Supra?
My engine is dead, I'm just curious, I'm not racing it, and the dependability would be... refreshing.
Thanks in advance for any insights-

Attachments

• Right side insert.jpg
    Right side insert.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 16

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
While I have nothing really bad to say about the 5VZ, I do have to say in no uncertain terms that it does not belong in a Supra. At all. It's not the type of engine you want in a car.

Jeff

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
i think a lot of people default to looking at other Toyota motors as prospective donors, assuming that since they are both Toyota that they will be inherently compatible with the mk3 or something, when that is almost never the case. May as well drop a 350 in there.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You want dependability, extra oomph, and good engineering, but still want to keep it in the family? 1UZ my friend. :)

Aftermarket isn't exactly there, but if you're looking (and able) to swap an engine that didn't belong in this chassis, that shouldn't stop ya. ;)

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I would agree with te72, the 1UZ would be a great swap for what you want. I have bought 3 1uz engines, all under 100K miles with uncut harnesses, transmission, ecu, and all accessories and never payed more then $500. I ran a stock 1UZ engine with 5 speed swap in my MK3 for several years before I supercharged it and it was perfect. It was lighter then my 7m-ge, had noticeably more power and got almost twice the MPG. If you have a automatic trans supra and dont mind staying auto you can swap a 1992-1994 SC400 1uz in for very little money and wind up with a fun but efficient and reliable car.

WyoMK3

Oct 2, 2012
Sonora, TX
I'm in the 1UZ camp. I have 2nd gen 4ruuner I swapped to a 5vz in and while it is a good reliable engine its not a power house. Also most of the aftermarket for it is geared to the low end for the off-road guys.

JDav

Sep 1, 2012
Medford, Oregon
All very good info- thanks. I guess I'm just frustrated. I've had a dozen or so Toyota V-6's and I've been thrashing my Tundra for almost 300K with no issues- very dependable. In the early 90's I had an '88 N/A Supra that ran like a Swiss watch. then I got a '89 Turbo that fell apart faster than I could fix it- scrapped it after $12K lost (much to my wife's disappointment). SOOOO when I risked my marriage to buy this one because it "just had a valve job & head gasket" I thought I might be OK. WRONG!

Bottom line is I've got $2,500.00 to:

A) Rebuild the 7MGTE and drive it like a Grandpa with my fingers crossed-

B) Transplant a 7MGE NON TURBO in it (I have no idea what that would involve.... any wisdom on that move???)

I just want a dependable Supra- I'm not racing it, I just want a freeway cruiser. If I could get it to run like my '88 I'd be a happy man. Or if somebody said "I'll take your $2,500 & make your 7MGTE BOMBPROOF"

I love everything about the cars... except the engine.

My 88- Man I sure miss her!
My 88 Supra.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you do all the work yourself a 1jz swap is not much more than 2500. I did mine for about 3-3300. That included a new bell housing and stage 3 clutch. If you find a used bell housing and use a stock clutch there's about 400$ saved right there. Complete 1j are selling on eBay for about 900$ right now.

A 7m can be reliable if built right and not crazy abused with poor mods and lack of tuning.

1uz swap is pretty cheap as well and you can find them in the junkyards all day. Usually the cars that there in go out faster than the motor does. My buddy sells the adapter plates for either r154 or w58 and the motor mounts as well. W58 and everything done yourself can be done for like 1500.

JDav

Sep 1, 2012
Medford, Oregon
hvyman;1906112 said:
My buddy sells the adapter plates for either r154 or w58 and the motor mounts as well. W58 and everything done yourself can be done for like 1500.

I think I'm going to pursue the 1UZ swap. It sounds like just what I'm looking for- thanks for the encouragement!

I would want to stick with the R-154, so I would need to figure out adapter & motor mounts- could you shoot me contact info for your buddy?

Thanks... I'm kinda excited about it now!

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
This is certainly the first time I have heard someone ask about the 5VZ into a supra. While I would agree it is a great motor, its a great motor for a truck. I would go for a 1JZ or a 1UZ if putting the motor into a MK3. I put a 1JZ into my previous 87 Supra and loved it so much that I just completed putting a 1JZ into my 1990 4x4 5-speed 4Runner haha. Very fun motor in a truck but seriously lacking low end torque...should have gone 1UZ!

With that said, do a 1UZ swap and I am sure you will love it!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdav;1906111 said:
all very good info- thanks. I guess i'm just frustrated. I've had a dozen or so toyota v-6's and i've been thrashing my tundra for almost 300k with no issues- very dependable. In the early 90's i had an '88 n/a supra that ran like a swiss watch. Then i got a '89 turbo that fell apart faster than i could fix it- scrapped it after $12k lost (much to my wife's disappointment). Soooo when i risked my marriage to buy this one because it "just had a valve job & head gasket" i thought i might be ok. Wrong!

Bottom line is i've got $2,500.00 to:

A) rebuild the 7mgte and drive it like a grandpa with my fingers crossed-

b) transplant a 7mge non turbo in it (i have no idea what that would involve.... any wisdom on that move???)

i just want a dependable supra- i'm not racing it, i just want a freeway cruiser. If i could get it to run like my '88 i'd be a happy man. or if somebody said "i'll take your $2,500 & make your 7mgte bombproof"

i love everything about the cars... Except the engine.

My 88- man i sure miss her!
View attachment 64123

lmao :D