2ur-fse

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Dude, I want a Miata and it's because of you lol. You speak of them so much and you have the most awesome stuff to say about them, one of those things being aftermarket support.... I found there are entire LS swap kits :D

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
te72;1822699 said:
What about LSx swaps into Miatas? Does that ruffle any feathers? I figure Mazda doesn't make v8's, so...

Nah, that's fine by me, and I actually really like the RX7s with LS swaps. Like you said, being that Mazda hasn't made a v8/I6/etc, it makes far more sense IMO.

There are plenty of folks that have LS motors in their Toyotas and Nissans when the cost of doing an equally stout UZ/UR or VK/VH can and has been done for the same price. Chris Forsberg, Chris Rado, and a bunch of others have shown that the Japanese V8s not only rev, but they can make great reliable power. A great deal of people just don't like to pioneer or change things up, and this bandwagon is a direct result of that and typical marketing moves.

Another argument I hear is that the Japanese v8s lack displacement, which I find somewhat odd because if 5.7L of 3UR or 5.6 of VK56 can't fulfill the role you're attempting to fill, you might as well give up.

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
LOL maybe I'll just go with a turbocharged dual vvti 3sge lol. I really want to keep my mk3 all toyota, ive done quite a few gm and ford v8 and v6 swaps into toyota pickups and yeah they're sweet but my car is a different story. I want a quiet, reliable engine with more power then your average mk3. Really leaning towards the 3uz-fe due to the fact that i can go to my local junkyard and purchase it and rebuild the damn thing for as much as it cost to buy one off ebay. Also theres a guy i work with who has his own cnc machine sooo custom one off parts, and if i can get my hands on the pdx or pdf file whatever its called i can have him make whatever bellhousing i need. SO all in all I will have a somewhere in the range of 345 to 400 hp 4.0 v8 for the price the average joe would pay to buy there lsx add some bolt ons and drop it into theyre car. furthermore dudebros of supra mania i just would like to state the fact that this build will not be done "cheap" I just have a really hard time forking out my hardearned cash for anything dosent matter what it is, so ill find the same exact thing for as cheap as i can get it. And thanks much for all of your input on the 2ur and sorry for the hella long post

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
te72;1818535 said:

Nothing any worse than aluminum heads as far as I know. Motocross bikes (some of them) have been using magnesium engine parts for a long time (they actually say magnesium on the inside of the castings so that you know not to weld them). The biggest downside is actually corrosion, as bare magnesium corrodes very quickly from air exposure, so everything has to be painted or coated somehow if it's exposed.

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A. Jay;1822888 said:
Dude, I want a Miata and it's because of you lol. You speak of them so much and you have the most awesome stuff to say about them, one of those things being aftermarket support.... I found there are entire LS swap kits :D
flyinmiata.com

I still say they're the cheapest fun you can have. Just have to be able to learn to live with the looks, and all the gay jokes that your friends will throw your way, because they WILL be thrown your way. I pretty much changed everyone's mind when I'd let them drive my car (stock, had sticky tires and a FM recommended alignment), then I took them for a drive... :evil2:

Dylan JZ;1822900 said:
Nah, that's fine by me, and I actually really like the RX7s with LS swaps. Like you said, being that Mazda hasn't made a v8/I6/etc, it makes far more sense IMO.

There are plenty of folks that have LS motors in their Toyotas and Nissans when the cost of doing an equally stout UZ/UR or VK/VH can and has been done for the same price. Chris Forsberg, Chris Rado, and a bunch of others have shown that the Japanese V8s not only rev, but they can make great reliable power. A great deal of people just don't like to pioneer or change things up, and this bandwagon is a direct result of that and typical marketing moves.

Another argument I hear is that the Japanese v8s lack displacement, which I find somewhat odd because if 5.7L of 3UR or 5.6 of VK56 can't fulfill the role you're attempting to fill, you might as well give up.
Something else to consider, what can you NOT buy for an LS engine? Far as I know, nothing. They're compact, light, and make power everywhere in the powerband. Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out why there is a market for the LS, and why so many go that route. All those people you mentioned have one thing the average enthusiast doesn't, money. How much does a set of cams for a 1uz cost? How about heads, if they're even needed, I know a lot of the UZ engines were WAY overbuilt... but still. Intake systems?

Now, if we're talking cu-in for cu-in, how much does a 3UR weigh compared to an equivalent displacement LS1? How wide are they, tall, etc? There are reasons to go with either route, but packing the most punch in the most compact package without needing power adders is rarely a bad idea. :)

destrux;1823244 said:
Nothing any worse than aluminum heads as far as I know. Motocross bikes (some of them) have been using magnesium engine parts for a long time (they actually say magnesium on the inside of the castings so that you know not to weld them). The biggest downside is actually corrosion, as bare magnesium corrodes very quickly from air exposure, so everything has to be painted or coated somehow if it's exposed.
Interesting, I would have figured they might want to catch fire... I know magnesium has a relatively low flash point for a metal. speaking of corrosion, that would explain why my Mk2's stock wheels look like crap, I haven't cleaned them off in a few years, and they were bead blasted to bare metal. Look damned good when I got the car... nothing a dremel won't fix though. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dylan JZ;1822900 said:

Really really doubt it's the same price... LS1 crate motor will quite easily make 400HP, and dollar for dollar is far cheaper to buy new, and the aftermarket support is huge.

Sure, it might have already been done before, but that just means the hard work has already been done.

It's just like the hate of Hondas to me, it doesn't make sense when they're reliable, cheap, powerful, and have a huge aftermarket...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'll reiterate that the LSx series are great motors, but I'm not joking when I say it's not that big of a deal to get those numbers out of a Japanese V8. On the other hand, I also won't deny the ability to buy a crate motor or the huge aftermarket. Again, it comes back to curbing innovation and individuality as far as I'm concerned, and that truly bothers me.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
The truly innovative will find a way around the "normal". We have a few people on here with some rather interesting swaps, the v12 guys (Crambo, redrocco) come to mind, as does Defiant7m...

See, to me, innovation means little to nothing. I love *driving* more than *building*, I'll let the fabrication be left to guys that like doing the unique thing if they want, but if it's going to take forever and a day to drive the car I want in the end, I'll stick to the easy/cheap/proven path, FOR NOW, then build something cool on the side. :)

Back to the whole point that innovation tends to cost money... at one point in the not-so-distant past, swapping in an LSx into anything would have cost a fortune! ;)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
All good points.. I just respect the hell of out those that pave the way for others, much like the early pioneers of the 1J (long ago now). Back when I did my swap, there were a handful of people outside a 30-mile radius that had one. Today, I'll hear kids going just put in a 2J or LSx, nothing else matters or makes power. It's ridiculous, yet pretty damn commonplace like the other facets of ignorance these days.

My next car is likely going to be a 370z turbo, and I can't wait to see what the VQ37VHR can do. I have heard great things, some say 600whp stock bottom end all day, everyday. (a far cry from the VQ35 of yesteryear)

My point is that if something has potential, then why skip past it? I also understand the other arguments here though and respect them.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well if it makes you feel better Dylan, I have the only (to my knowledge anyway) 1jz in the entire state of Wyoming. How's that for unique? :)

I agree though, a little innovation is nice, which is why I love seeing said common swaps in CARS that aren't normally swapped into. Same as your theory, different execution I guess. It's not that nothing makes power other than the 2j or LSx, but frankly... dollar for dollar, you're likely to get the BEST result from those options.

That said, I dig the 370 man, I really do. Finally getting back to what a Z should look like. Then again, bagging the VQ35 is a little unfair, I mean it WAS a French engine and all...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
That does make me feel better, and I lol'd @ the Renault comment. I enjoy these discussions, and rarely do I walk away thinking there wasn't meaning behind such.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
OneJArpus;1824043 said:
I can get the 2UR-GSE $6800+SHIPPING

2UR-FSE - Not available used in any Junk yard listed on my side...
Damn that's pricey, unless it's new, in which case that's not bad. As for the junk yard bit, I would HOPE cars with that engine aren't in junk yards already...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Lol, actually that's cheap as hell!

The GSE is the motor to have (IS-F), and new from Toyota it's over $23k (no joke, taken from the EPC).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dylan JZ;1824166 said:
Lol, actually that's cheap as hell!

The GSE is the motor to have (IS-F), and new from Toyota it's over $23k (no joke, taken from the EPC).
http://flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php

See that first item there? That's a brand new crate LS3... add a $300 cam to that and you have a 480hp engine that weighs 415lbs. Now what could you do with that extra 15k? ;)

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Now now, te72, that's enough of picking on our buddy Dylan JZ :) He gets it. And we get that for another 15k, you can be a lot cooler.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Oh, I didn't mean to pick on Dylan, he should know that, no hard feelings. :)

I mean, if you wanna get technical about it, some GM V8's get VERY expensive, so it's probably about even when you start comparing tech prices.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Well, for comparison purposes, 2J/V160 motorsets were (c.'07 - not sure if they still are, but most likely) around the same price used, so.. anyhow, it's not about being cool.

If I wanted to be cool, I wouldn't be hanging around talking with you guys :D ..jk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That's true, but the v160 is the most expensive part of that combo. Speaking of the 2UR, did anyone else see the video of Orido drifting his 2UR equipped GT86? Goofy looking, but that guy can slide...

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Yeah, that motor sounds like Mt.Olympus' Trumpets, and he is a total mad man behind the wheel haha. He was nuts in the A80 and now this.