2nd gear issues

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'm trying to figure out something that's going on with my transmission. Basically 2nd gear for some reason recently is harder to get in to, specifically when the tranny has been warmed up (it's actually perfect when it's cold) and more so shift down in to 2nd. It feels like I have to pull the shifter a bit harder than normal and doesn't "click" in to place until it's pulled down much further than normal (so rather than half way between neutral and second, it clicks in about 3/4 of the way in to the gear "notch"). If I'm not more mindful of how I'm shifting, it grind as I try and pull the clutch out. The rest of the gears seem to be unaffected, so I'm wondering if that's a sign of a synchro that's going.

I just changed the transmission fluid (used Redline MT-90) last night in hopes that will help if not take care of the problem, but I haven't had much of a chance to drive the car yet. Should that show up immediately after a fluid change or will it take some mileage to make a difference?

If the transmission does need to be RE+RE'd, how long would I realistically be looking at for shop time, because I wouldn't have the tools or time to do it all myself. This is a bit frustrating because the transmission was RE+RE'd for a broken 3/4 shifter fork about 8,000 miles ago.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
2nd gear synchro is worn and is having trouble matching speed. 1-2 is the biggest change, and the hardest to sink up.

Last edited:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
That's what I was kind of afraid of. That does make me annoyed that it wasn't replaced when the tranny was out before. How long is it to do a single synchro? Everything's been out and apart before, so I would expect it to go fairly smoothly *crosses fingers*. What should I do in the mean time to try and save what is there?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1726975 said:
2nd gear synchro is worn and is having trouble matching speed. 1-2 is the biggest change, and the hardes to sink up.

Any tips for grinding when doing high rpm 1-2 shifts? Always seem to have this problem with any R154...

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
mine would be hard to go into second BUT no grinding, only downshifting it gets hard, so when turning i use third or....really i just coast. gets on my nerves sometimes

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, I've driven it a bit today, and it definitely feels better (haven't ground the gears once), hopefully it will get progressively better over the little while and everything will be happy.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
My 2nd grinds from 3rd to 2nd. high rpm 1-2 not so good either. Need to try mt90 but i think its past that noww..

!-2 get beat on more than the rest. Anything is better than having the thrust bearing go out tho.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Could always try running something like B&G syncroshift or Royal Purple Syncromax. They work well in cars with stubborn syncros. You sacrifice some shock protection with them though.

If it's shifting hard I'd just get it fixed right, before you wear out something more expensive like a shift fork or gear/collar.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Doesnt shift hard just grinds from 3-2. Its what ever until i rebuild my other trans. I dont drive much or do a lot of second gear driving. Just gets tiring bogging in 3rd around stop lights lol.

Prolly just replace the gear.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Grinding when shifting is the sychronizer rings from the speed not being matched. Eventually, those grinds will lead to the shifter popping out of gear. For those that haven seen the inside of a trans, the rings have pointed teeth on the outside. That is the grinding noise. Not the gears. The teeth are pointed to hold it in gear. When they get rounded from grinding, the shifter popps out.

Rev matching is the only way to stop the grinding until it is rebuilt. A truck driver does it all the time.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
destrux;1727212 said:
Could always try running something like B&G syncroshift or Royal Purple Syncromax. They work well in cars with stubborn syncros. You sacrifice some shock protection with them though.

If it's shifting hard I'd just get it fixed right, before you wear out something more expensive like a shift fork or gear/collar.

no No and NO.

Take it from someone that's tried it, it makes the grind WORSE, the only oil that helps it anymore than a non-additive gear lube is MT-90.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
And sometimes the mt90 isnt the best. My other trans liked first gear better with the cheap stuff than with mt90. First gear was blown with that one too. Had you use a lot of force to actually use first lol.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Nick M;1727196 said:
You know any truck drivers?
Well familiar with rev-matching, drive a Miata long enough and it becomes second nature in anything. So just gotta be patient and let the rpm drop that extra few hundred RPM before engaging second gear then? Only ever happens with the 1-2 for me when I'm high rpm and in a hurry to row.

Poodles;1727329 said:
First gear is always a bit of a hassle (especially to downshift to)
About the only way I ever found to downshift into first is to rev match is as best I can. Kinda miss driving NA engines for the response in that sort of scenario.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Ive always noticed that 2nd gear is the hardest to get into on any vehicle I have driven. On my car you really have to yank it when at the track. It wont grind, but its "difficult" to engage it hard and fast, probably cause of what Nick mentioned- biggest speed change going into second. All other gears (besides 1st) can be jammed in quickly with ease. Short shifters make the second gear issue even more apparent and annoying imo. Who knows, maybe my transmission is worn/aged making it worse.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I can say that the MT-90 has definitely helped. It hasn't ground once in 200 miles, all city driving and lots of stop lights. I still find it kind of odd that it's happier when it's cold, but whatever, it's very much driveable now. It's just a bit difficult shifting down in to 2nd still, but rev matching helps a ton and I do that fairly regularly anyways (did it even with my beater 86 corolla 4 door with a blown exhaust....sounded REALLY funny in that).

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
New development today. I tried driving the car and found it hard to get in to a bunch of gears now. I thought that maybe one of the plugs didn't get tightened enough and the tranny was leaking, but there was no signs of any leak at all. I did find however that if I pushed the shift knob down towards the tunnel as I was shifting, it was much easier to change gears. Is there a bushing or spring of some sorts that might be worn and the source of these issues?