2JZGE MKIII with 7MGTE Wiring and Electronics

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
here it is running

only major problem is i can't rev past 3k rpms, just hesitates off idle, and i'm about to purchase a manifold.

this is the first start, vpc is set really rich by default and the spark plugs are shot. it does not smoke near as much now.

will make a video of it rev/hesitating once parents are awake, open 4" downpipe FTW

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
finally got a manifold put on, got it today ;) its sethrons square type, major props to him for making it :bigthumb:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1049732_1.jpg
p1049732_2.jpg

going back out side to finish wiring

edit: moved stuff from the thread i previously posted in; i should just make a build thread one of these days lol

question on my valve covers should a make them polished or repaint them to stock. any ideas would be great ;)

Spoolin

Banned
Jan 28, 2009
Hialeah, FL
I sorry for bumping such an old thread. I suppose this would be better than creating a new one.

Anyways, I have acquired a 2JZGE VVT-i engine out of a Lexus IS300. The plan is to put this engine into my 89 Supra. My question is, I originally planned on using 7mGTE electronics on the engine like OP of this thread... but I realized that my engine doesn't have a distributor on the exhaust side of the head like the non-VVT-i 2JZGE engines (a place to put the 7MGTE CPS). I would like to know if there is a way around this or do I have to sell all my 7m Electronics and get the 2JZGE VVT-i harness & ECU?

Last edited:

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Spoolin;1498489 said:
I sorry for bumping such an old thread. I suppose this would be better than creating a new one.

Anyways, I have acquired a 2JZGE VVT-i engine out of a Lexus IS300. The plan is to put this engine into my 89 Supra. My question is, I originally planned on using 7mGTE electronics on the engine like OP of this thread... but I realized that my engine doesn't have a distributor on the exhaust side of the head like the non-VVT-i 2JZGE engines (a place to put the 7MGTE CPS). I would like to know if there is a way around this or do I have to sell all my 7m Electronics and get the 2JZGE VVT-i harness & ECU?

1) buy a 2JZGE head and use 7m electronics
2) find what camshaft pickup the 2JZGE VVTI uses, verify it has the same number of sync and trigger pickups. If the same as the 7M, use the 7M ECU and wire it accordingly.
3) run it off the 2JZGE VVTI ECU as you stated.

I, myself would scrap the whole VVTI part of your project and just run a pre-vvt motor. They are stronger internally. I wouldn't bother boosting the VVTI. On the other hand, I'd keep VVTI, and the VVTI ECU if I were staying all motor.. but why would anyone do that?

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
I have a question, will the 7mgte electronics work with the stock 2JZ NA headgasket (higher compression than what the 7m has) without a tune? Just to start up and drive..?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
cooks87targasupra;1965579 said:
got a question how ud block of old distributor and use coil pac howd u get wiring for coils and such etc

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but there are many write ups available for going NA-T and am sure they address Distributor-Coilpack options.