2jz-ge Prices.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
ok i'll cut to the chase before my mind decides to go back to the 7mgte idea.

i've heard of the 2jz-ge-t project and i've seen how underrated, at the same time, popular they are.

i just want to know how much would a 2jzge come by so i can get my money ready.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cheap at the junkyard.

Around my area we have 50% off days. There like 200 for just the motor. Last time I was there I saw about 4.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am going to be doing this in the future I've read that you can use the GTE pistons and rods since they both share the same crank and it will be good for like 400hp or more. Like everyone else said you can get the GE cheap I think because nobody who wants a 2jz would go for the GE lol but they are pretty much the same as the GTE, of course with a few differences.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
im liking your area hvyman lol.

and yea the build is something i decided to consider. i thought i didnt want to have to worry about BHG, so why not buy a ge, run with it n/a for a while then boost.

but anyway, thanks guys, im getting my money ready asap. gonna be lurking the classifieds now.

peace n' love.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
One thing you should know about boosting an NA is your compression ratio, if somehow you have not read about this already, I've also read that the only difference between the GTE and GE compression ratio wise is because the GTE head gasket is like 1.6mm and the GE is .2X or something like that. So you can just get a thicker head gasket to lower your compression ratio to about the GTE spec and boost without worry.

If I am mistaken then please correct me.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
nah, i believe you're right, although im going by the 7mge-t setup, but im thinking the same rules apply.

also you think installing the 2jz-gte pistons on a 2jzge would also help the compression ratio? of course thats only if they have different pistons like the 7m engines.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
It may help but I think the head gasket thickness is the most effective way since both motors have different pistons and a different head gasket thickness, that is how the GE gets its higher compression ration. It seems that generally people just get a thicker head gasket to lower the ratio and safely boost their GEs. From what I have gathered the differences between the 2jzge and gte are the pistons, head gasket thickness, and the head of course a few other things but what really sucks is that the intake manifolds are not interchangeable. I have thought about getting a GTE head and putting it on the block but not sure how that would work out actually I will look into that.

EDIT: After a quick search found a thread on SF and the head just bolts right on but you will have to drill and tap holes for the turbo lines into the block and use the ignition coil pack instead of the distributor.

I do also wonder when turboing the GE if you can use the GTE ECU or do you still have to go standalone?

EDIT 2: Seems like it's not worth getting a GTE head when you can do an FFIM conversion.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have to use 7m wiring and Ecu or 2jge Ecu. The ge only have 1 cam sensor and turbos have 2.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
A quick question that I think may also help W3bstar, do you modify the 2jzge wiring harness with the 7M harness? Like swap the connectors basically?