2JZ fan in 1JZ

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Hey Elvis,

Sorry but I didn't get a chance to get a pic of the fan --> core support. I can't stress enough how damn CLOSE it is tho. It's almost like it was born to go there. Dimensions of the rad are 2.25" x 17" x 26". They might not be PERFECT, but I believe they're close as hell. Thanks.

-J

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
No prob.... I actually did not get a chance either... I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. Gettin' some spiffy stuff done ;-)

Will get ya some updates SOON!!!

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
Sick man, I should have mine all cleaned up soon too. Pic fest of the fans when it's good to go ;)

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Just got my fan and clutch in, tried installing it but the clutch wont go in all the way. The nipple off the WP pulley looks to be too big, and it doesnt go all the way in the coupling off the clutch. I read that you have to use the tt pulley in order for it to fit, but how is there a different pulley if its a 2jz WP? Does anyone have a picture of the 2jz wp pulley? thanks

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Trust_GTE said:
Just got my fan and clutch in, tried installing it but the clutch wont go in all the way. The nipple off the WP pulley looks to be too big, and it doesnt go all the way in the coupling off the clutch. I read that you have to use the tt pulley in order for it to fit, but how is there a different pulley if its a 2jz WP? Does anyone have a picture of the 2jz wp pulley? thanks

Dunno what the difference may be, but I do know that the N/A fan itself will not work. The clutch will.... so, there are some small differences that can keep it all from coming together right. Make sure that you're using the 2JZ-GTE specific items and it should all fit well. Good luck!

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
What he said, do you have any pics of the actual unit you're trying to put on, as well as what you're putting it on? Just wondering, thanks.

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Well i got the setup for a '94 tt ( fan and clutch ) from Curt A. of elmhurst. and i was told from the previous owner that it is a mkiv water pump now that s on the car. . I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Is the pulley from the TT different from the NA? and can you use the NA waterpump instead of the TTs?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I believe that the waterpumps are the same.... since the NA fan does sit too far back on the engine, the difference may be the pulley as well. Make sure you have the TT pulley.... I'd have to call again, but I think that a rebuilt waterpump at the autoparts was the same part number....

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I just picked up another 2JZ-GTE fan/clutch.... If no one needs it, I'll just keep it as a spare....

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Well i finally got time to take some pics,

PIC OF THE PULLEY:
1.jpg

PIC OF THE FAN
5.jpg

PIC OF THE CLUTCH
6.jpg

PIC OF THE CLUTCH ON PULLEY, NOTE THAT I STILL HAVE THE BOLTS ON THE PULLEY. YES I HAVE ALREADY TRIED INSTALLING IT, I JUST PUT BACK THE BOLTS FOR NOW.
2.jpg

HERE IS WHERE THE PULLEY DOESNT GO ALL THE WAY IN
7.jpg

SUGGESTIONS?

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
That pulley I am 100% sure is different than mine. In that case, the NA pulley wont work, which is what you must have. Why do I say that? I got my fan clutch of a 94TT (which both look *EXACTLY* like the ones in your pics), and my 2j waterpump which is on the car fit it perfectly. I guess you have the NA pulley (the WPs are the same is what I'm gathering, judging by info earlier in the thread). Hope this helps, if it wasn't such a PITA for me to put the fan/clutch assembly on, I'd take pics of mine, sorry ;)

BTW, nice lookin units you got there, clean as hell :cool:

-J

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
So do i have to get a new WP? or just the TT pulley. Also how the hell do i get that pulley off...theres no bolt in the middle of it, and it looks to be two pieces. Thanks, i went ahead and bought it new :bling:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The pulley will come off when you remove those four bolts (12mm, I think). Ya gotta kinda "work out" how to keeop the pulley from turning as you tighten/loosen the bolts. I also have a NEW fan (gosh they look sweet)... ~$90 just for it, without the clutch.

I am going out to the shop today... I'll try to take some close ups of the pulley/belt area.... see if there's any difference...

so far...

The NA waterpump and clutch will work, but not the pulley, or fan.

What you'll need....
1. 2JZ waterpump (same for NA and TT, but someone may need to verify).
2. 2JZ clutch (NA and TT appear to be the same).
3. 2JZ-GTE (TT) pulley and fan.

Last edited:

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
I think you hit it right on the head Elvis, because another way to look at it is...

I have the same exact setup as Trust_GTE, mine fit, his didn't. Reasoning for this is due to the fact that we have to have different pulleys. Since my TT clutch/fan fit perfect, and his don't, he's gotta have the NA pulley. Why? Because why would the setup work on the NA pulley, but not the TT? If that doesn't make any sense, then whoops.

-J

Cliff Notes: Elvis spelt it out way better than me ;)

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
so basically i need the TT pulley correct? just another question, the pulley looks to be 2 parts, is it? Theres the pulley itself, but the middle area seems to be seperate from it.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Trust_GTE said:
so basically i need the TT pulley correct? just another question, the pulley looks to be 2 parts, is it? Theres the pulley itself, but the middle area seems to be seperate from it.

Mine was only 1-piece.... just make sure it's the TT one.....

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Trust_GTE said:
Think you can post a pic or two of your pulley? - thanks

Had lots to do, so I did not pull the fan off, but here're some more pics of it installed (where you can see the pulley)... tho I dunno if it will help...

Look here, in the parts folder... should be 3 pics named 2JZGTE.

http://photos.yahoo.com/g099521

My spare clutch/fan just arrived... so much for cleaning out my garage...

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
i guess that kinda helps, doesnt really show the wp pulley. Got a spare water pump pulley laying around? Nice pics by the way!! planning to go single anytime soon?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Trust_GTE said:
i guess that kinda helps, doesnt really show the wp pulley. Got a spare water pump pulley laying around? Nice pics by the way!! planning to go single anytime soon?

No extra pulley.... I'll B on the lookout tho.... as far as single... sneak peek!!!

Guess why I was to busy to pull the fan off (didn't even get a chance yet to make look real pretty)??

twinsgone1.jpg